Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Overwhelmed by the changes?

thumperrabbit

I think early years is a bit like trying to swim in treacle...flipping hard work and most of the time you feel like you are drowning more than swimming. I think the reality is that we only survive because of all the unpaid extra hours we put in.

Yep I think you've hit the nail on the head there. Unfortunately for many of us if we did put those unpaid hours in we wouldn't get the results we are expected to get.

• Like 3

I don't mind some unpaid hours, I think most jobs these days expect people to do more than what their contract says but it's the amount that we do, at the weekend I seem to have to fit my family around playgroup not the other way round :( I also wouldn't mind quite so much if I knew what I was doing instead of going round in circles all the time! :wacko:

• Like 2

Glad I read through this, if only to know I'm not alone

Wish my team would be more helpful in researching things or a bit more pro-active at implementing changes. Instead they just throw the "this is too stressful" card around and count down to home time so they can forget it all for another night

I can regularly be heard muttering (under my breath!) "if you think your life is stressful you should come and take my place for a day"

Definitely always feel like I'm sinking and the amount of work I have to do during my own time causes endless arguments with the hubby. He knows why I have to do it but gets mad at our social life having to fit around my work commitments

• Like 3

I'm with you thumperrabbit,

We are a small packaway setting and every Sunday afternoon I go into work to set up with my hubby-bless him! In fact he helps set up every morning with me. I know people think I'm mad, but trying to get resources out from the shed every morning with just two staff is quite time consuming, then to actually set it all out. You would think 30mins before and 30 after would be enough time to set up/clear away and in theroy it should be, but in practice it's not. Like you also I'm fed up changes/updates/new policies and with yet another EYr officer telling us how to do things, cant tell you how many times we have change our planning, obs forms assessment forms and I still don't know what or how to do it-and Iv'e been in this job 20 years now, which then makes me feel guilty as I should know it by now. At the moment the in pharse we keep getting is What are we actually' teaching' the children to help them progress once we have checked their tracker and seen which area they need more support in. She/EYr wants to see every child on a Focus Plan Activity sheet as that's what Ofsted will be looking for. Is this so I ask all those who have been ofsteded? Some areas you can plan for more easily than others e.g. maths, its other areas where you cant write down a specific activity that I have trouble with, for example I have two children just gone 3, who although can talk, dont talk very much because they are very quiet and shy, so on the UW area/ Communities -talk about themselves, families past/present events etc they come out on the tracker very low. So I think I need to do something on PSE first to boost their confidence for them to eventually be able to do this area, but how would you do this? I thought about a Show/tell talking box which all the children could take in turns to take home -fill with ojects whatever interests them and bring back to show and talk about at group time. Any other ideas?

Sorry rambling on here and getting that nearly Monday blues, plus just think I'm getting too old for this. :( M

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I've just read this whole thread and its made me realise we are not the only ones trying to keep afloat!

As well as everything that's already been mentioned has anyone tried to record the development of different categories of children- ie girls v boys, eypp v non eypp, 2s v 3-4s, summer born v the rest!!!??? this apparently, is something Ofsted want to see.

Also records of EYPP funding and where its been spent, effects on development.....its endless, and if one thing isn't up to scratch the whole setting gets unsatisfactory!!!

Absenteeism records and conversations, chasing parents, more involvement, committee up to scratch!!! its so daunting, how the heck are we supposed to meet all this, and the funding hasn't gone up in five years so how we'll meet the new Living Wage an April, I don't know!!

Good to read all your points, agree with every one, but what can we do??

• Like 2

I am one of those outstanding settings that have now gone to requires improvement. completely gutted. big emphasise on me as manager not mentoring less able staff not helpin staff develop by giving them training (no or little training in my area). not enough observations again down to me not checking learning journals. staff not consistent with behaviour management again my fault for not doing peer obs. what I am trying yo say is I totally emphthise with all of you. I will do anything for my setting attend lots of meetings etc. I work in ratio so finding time to manage aswell is tough.was on here tonight looking at planning as that was not good enough either. we missed opportunities.

Edited by Buttercup

I am one of those outstanding settings that have now gone to requires improvement. completely gutted. big emphasise on me as manager not mentoring less able staff not helpin staff develop by giving them training (no or little training in my area). not enough observations again down to me not checking learning journals. staff not consistent with behaviour management again my fault for not doing peer obs. what I am trying yo say is I totally emphthise with all of you. I will do anything for my setting attend lots of meetings etc. I work in ratio so finding time to manage aswell is tough.was on here tonight looking at planning as that was not good enough either. we missed opportunities.

On Buttercup I am so sorry to hear that, it must be devastating. I am in the same boat as you, I work in ratio and do not seem to have time to check everything my staff do. Unfortunately when I did check learning journeys recently I noticed lots of spelling mistakes with one of my staff and some observations do not make sense. My other key person did a couple of two year checks this week, asked for advice which I gave, which was totally ignored. The checks were then a fluffy bit of writing which gave not much factual information. So guess who had to rewrite them. I am like you, I am so dedicated to my setting (too much I feel). And am so aware that one little thing can bring it all crashing down. I wish you luck for your next inspection, I am sure you will get back to where you were.

• Like 4

Sorry to hear that Buttercup, judging by inspection reports im reading there's a LOT of this happening - the 'grump' in me just thinks this is all about closing settings so people are forced down the school route.

Are you a day nursery or a pre-school setting?

• Like 5

So sorry to read this Buttercup - sending a huge virtual hug to you......

Like you I work in ratio and it is tough to keep on top of everything - I truly believe this could happen to any of us.....

• Like 6

Thank you everyone we are pre school. parents received report this week and are mortified. they are on our side with so many good comments. on the plus side we are now getting free training and lots of support. it will be fine. just need to tick the correct boxes for ofsted unfortunately this is what it seems to be now.

• Like 3

Great that all your parents back you up and know how good you are. You seem to have a great attitude and I am sure you will make the most of all your training! As we have all said, this could be any of us and sadly seems to be happening a lot more now in inspections. Sadly the emphasis seems to have gone from the happy child and then s now more paperwork orientated. Good luck with your journey and keep us updated.

• Like 3

Well after 13 years at the village Pre School - 8 years owning and managing it with a partner I have decided I've had enough. The constantly changing goalposts, lack of funding and demands of the job have taken their toll. I have taken the Pre School from a satisfactory setting to a double outstanding setting but feel it is just too much of an uphill battle. I will miss the children, parents and my co workers but wont miss the paperwork, setting up and constant demands from those above. I'm looking forward to thinking about my family's needs for a while and starting a new role and perhaps getting to drink a coffee while it's still hot!

Thank you so much for all your help and support over the years - this group has been a lifeline to me offering me advice, encouragement and a listening ear. I wish everyone well in their settings and hope for a brighter future for Early Years and those who work in it. :1b

• Like 5

Well after 13 years at the village Pre School - 8 years owning and managing it with a partner I have decided I've had enough. The constantly changing goalposts, lack of funding and demands of the job have taken their toll. I have taken the Pre School from a satisfactory setting to a double outstanding setting but feel it is just too much of an uphill battle. I will miss the children, parents and my co workers but wont miss the paperwork, setting up and constant demands from those above. I'm looking forward to thinking about my family's needs for a while and starting a new role and perhaps getting to drink a coffee while it's still hot!

Thank you so much for all your help and support over the years - this group has been a lifeline to me offering me advice, encouragement and a listening ear. I wish everyone well in their settings and hope for a brighter future for Early Years and those who work in it. :1b

Wow, what a huge desicion that must have been. I hope you will be very happy in whatever you do.:-(
  • Like 2

Ah all good wishes from me bluestar.......

The decision has to be made a some point - well done on being brave - maybe there should be another forum area for ex-managers to get together!!

• Like 1

Sounds great, we had a brilliant nursery nurse who had previously run a nursery, she always got what we were trying to say when we raised concerns about a child, unlike our HV's who seem to make excuses instead of accepting what we are saying....any chance you're coming to my area ? ;-p

Good luck Bluestar and I too will admit to feeling rather envious - as the person who started this post I can honestly say that 1 month on and I still feel the same if not worse :(

Good luck with your new job x