Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Odd transition visit?

Froglet

I went to visit a nursery yesterday as a transition visit for one little person joining me in September. I had been invited several weeks ago by the child's key person/worker (sorry I can never remember which one I'm meant to use), had given various options for dates and they selected this one. I arrived, never having been before walked through a side gate an was wondering were to go next when a face appeared. I explained who I was and why I was there. The face said "I'll take you there". I was walked into a room which you did have to ring a bell to gain entry. Introduced and had the child pointed out to me.

I spoke to the child for a little bit. She's lovely, very sorted and has already met me on her visit to school. She was quite happy to answer some questions and show me some things but also clearly wanted to be getting on with her friends. So I left her to it and looked around for an adult. I asked who the key person was (at this point I didn't know that was who'd made the arrangements). She worked it out then said "but she's on holiday, I know a bit about her" She told me that the child was lovely and that seemed to be it.

I've never felt such a lack of interest on a visit. Normally I'm having to drag myself away. I find out loads of useful stuff about the children that isn't tempered by report speak. It often takes ages because of interruptions from children to both me and 'their ' adult to show and tell us things. I also can't believe no one asked me to sign in or out or checked my ID. They were expecting me but I could have been anyone! And why arrange a visit for a time you weren't in?!

Well if you had come to see us we would have made a royal fuss over you, because not many teachers bother! Just one this year for one boy.

Perhaps we might assume that the keyperson had totally forgotten her arrangements when the chance of a holiday came up!, or gave you dates when she wasn't available, rather than when she was.

The total lack of security makes the mind boggle!

I'm so sorry to hear that young Froglet - as Panders has said you would have been treated like royalty if you were visiting us - have to say that I am also treated like royalty when I visit the primary school! :1b

We have our reception teacher coming to us on Thursday - we will have the children's Learning Journey folders all ready for her - she takes a seat at a table and calls the children over to her one by one she looks through their folders and asks them questions about the photos.......

She has already had the 'low down' from me - weeks ago - in a private conversation at the school + I have sent transition reports.

On Friday it will be the turn of her TA to visit - she will join in with children's work and play.

We might have a visit from the HT this week too!

• Like 2

Gosh! I'm off round of pre-schools next week (all 18 of them). Usually I am quite embarrassed by the amount of care and attention everyone takes, and I love meeting up with old friends again as we may not see each other much during the year.

My 'new school year's' resolution is to get out and about more and visit during the year so it's not such a big event in July, and also to get preschools into school more just to be more familiar - I am very worried that the baseline will build a barrier that we have all worked so hard to remove.

My 'new school year's' resolution is to get out and about more and visit during the year so it's not such a big event in July, and also to get preschools into school more just to be more familiar - I am very worried that the baseline will build a barrier that we have all worked so hard to remove.

That's a lovely idea! :1b

Glad to know it's not just me who thinks it was odd. As Panders said I can put the key person not being there down to a mix up. And I while it was strange I'm not offended by the lack of interest in me. I was bothered by the fact that none of the adults there seemed to be interacting with the children apart from to deal with a dispute. The children did all seem happy and engaged and enjoyed having a visitor. I found the not signing in so very weird though. I'd even been in to school first thing to get my official I'd badge which I never normally wear as it's on a lanyard and I strangle myself or children with it. I get asked to sign in everywhere!!

I'm so sorry to hear that young Froglet - as Panders has said you would have been treated like royalty if you were visiting us - have to say that I am also treated like royalty when I visit the primary school! :1b

We have our reception teacher coming to us on Thursday - we will have the children's Learning Journey folders all ready for her - she takes a seat at a table and calls the children over to her one by one she looks through their folders and asks them questions about the photos.......

She has already had the 'low down' from me - weeks ago - in a private conversation at the school + I have sent transition reports.

On Friday it will be the turn of her TA to visit - she will join in with children's work and play.

We might have a visit from the HT this week too!

In my dreams Sunnyday, in my dreams

ive been blogging tonight about the opposite issues :rolleyes: :oxD

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just do transition visits with each other?! Regardless of the fact that we have no children in common. Tea, cake, chat and playing anyone?!

• Like 5

Wouldn't it be nice if we could just do transition visits with each other?! Regardless of the fact that we have no children in common. Tea, cake, chat and playing anyone?!

FAB ......when you coming over? lots of banana cake in the freezer!

• Like 3

We had a visit from school teacher for 2 of our children on Monday. I had transition information and learning journeys ready for her, she opened the first page and that was that. One of thr children was hiding away, I was encouraging her to share her special book with her teacher and the teacher told her she didn't have to come out. I tried to tell the teacher about the children and she didn't seem particularly interested and kept saying ok. I also had to remind her to take the transition forms with her! Her visit lasted 15 minutes in total!

Edited by klc106

FAB ......when you coming over? lots of banana cake in the freezer!

Probably time for a last meet up at mine before we move. Not sold yet, but lots of interest!

On topic though, I always had loads prepared for teachers visits, so much so, that there often wasn't time to do it all! Children who were going to other schools wanted chance to 'show off' their things too, and inevitably it all takes time! We had visits from teachers, TAs, lollipop ladies, mid-day supervisors, and generally, any adult the children would have contact with.

Probably time for a last meet up at mine before we move. Not sold yet, but lots of interest!

On topic though, I always had loads prepared for teachers visits, so much so, that there often wasn't time to do it all! Children who were going to other schools wanted chance to 'show off' their things too, and inevitably it all takes time! We had visits from teachers, TAs, lollipop ladies, mid-day supervisors, and generally, any adult the children would have contact with.

Yup, in my dreams Cait

cant believe re the signing in and out - last year we had a teacher visit -she had no id on her so i phoned her school and asked for them to give me a description of her - i think they were a little shocked but as said before - she could have been anyone !!

We value visits from our 3 feeder schools. We have put so much effort into these children and want to make sure that the teachers are aware of all their abilities not only academically but we make them aware of their funny little ways and things that they may worry about at school. The teachers spend a whole session with us. I give them an overall picture of the child and show them where they are on PRAMS.As we have have an adult responsible for each area of the curriculum they get to speak to them all. I then offer to e-mail the PRAMS reports over to them if they request them. This year we have managed to invite individual staff to sit in on specific lessons in September.

We have a brilliant transition with village primary - weekly visits from reception staff through summer term, we visit them during July, meeting when we hand over Learning Stories and transition doc. The problem comes with children moving onto other schools. Every year we invite them and most do not even reply. Such a shame for the children.

You can come to me anytime - but you will have to bring the cake! :D

• Like 2

We've always had excellent links with our main 5 feeder schools but this year has seen a decline in visits only 2 out of the 5 because they are doing home visits instead and in their words haven't the time for both - I'm sure they don't, but apparently that's what county are pushing - but that doesn't help us and our 'Partnership Working'

'Times they are definitely a changing here' :(

Gosh! I'm off round of pre-schools next week (all 18 of them). Usually I am quite embarrassed by the amount of care and attention everyone takes, and I love meeting up with old friends again as we may not see each other much during the year.

Would love to hear more on your opinion of the impact of the baseline assessment. Do you believe schools will therefore find the learning journeys from preschools a bit of a waste of time>

Would love to hear more on your opinion of the impact of the baseline assessment. Do you believe schools will therefore find the learning journeys from preschools a bit of a waste of time>

Not sure schools really do look at them, they may only be interested in the assessments rather than the "whole journey" or just the final transition report to give them a heads up in their information collecting

Learning journeys are brilliant to look at. I especially like it when they are given to parents over the summer, and they bring them out to show me when I visit at home - it forms a real basis for discussion, parents are so proud, and children are delighted to relive their happy experiences.

My hope is that they will be more important with the advent of the baseline because they give a true flavour of each child unlike the dry '40-60 months' type information. Having now done my exba training, secure knowledge of the child's characteristics of learning will be very important, and I really am not sure that I'll be able to make that call in the first few turbulent weeks.