Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

parents changing hours?

narnia

One of my parents has changed her job, but is still working the same hours at her new place of work. She sent me an email to say that her husband is going to be working from home fairly regularly and might want to collect their child early sometimes, so.............................how much notice does she need to give me to prevent being charged for those occasions? I don't know quite what to say. I can't afford to let her treat us a drop-in centre and it's unfair on the parents who book time and pay for it. what would you do???

I would reply politely that she can bog off!

or in parents speak.....

dear mrs x thank you for your enquiry ...unfortunately we are unable to provide you with this facility as children must be booked in for their regular sessions in order for us to supply the correct staff to comply with the governments ratios. I'm sure you will understand !

xx Narnia :D

• Like 2

We ask for half a terms notice- whether it be someone reducing sessions or leaving. We also would make no reduction for someone collecting early- in fact unless parents are paying by the hour, then I cant think that many settings would.

• Like 1

No, I wouldn't offer a sessional price reduction either. The session is the length it is! When children are collected early for dentist, doctor etc, we would still charge the full session fee. It's mucking you and your other children about far too much, the poor only just settled little ones would be heart-broken to see a Dad turn up and not theirs. We all know the trauma a doorbell can give!

No, I would politely, but firmly tell her that her child is booked in for those sessions, and the pick up time is whatever it is. That you understand that children are sometimes collected sooner to go for appointments, and this can be accommodated when parents are unable to book these at other times. It is too unsettling for the routine of the preschool for children to be collected early on an ad hock basis, as you are sure she understands.

Edit to say - does she specify what 'early' means? We did have parents who had to collect children ten minutes early in order to collect another child from school, and that was easily accommodated. Children were ready to go anyway by that time and we were just into singalong and final goodbyes.

Edited by Cait

No reduction here either but parents pay per session

do you charge hourly?

I think most of us charge per session, however, we do have to advertise an hourly rate. I wouldn't be offering a discount Narnia, one of mine recently said she was taking her son out from the 10th July for a holiday and wanted to let me know before I prepared the bill for the summer term - I had to tell her that there was no reduction - she is a single parent etc..... but really my Fee Policy says quite clearly no rebates for sickness or holiday, had to stick to it for continuity.

We ask for months notice of changes. The thing is you still have to provide enough cover for that child in your ratios for the times that dad doesn't want to pick their child up early. You can't reduce your staffs working hours to accommodate their choices on a weekly basis.