Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wondering... (about a job)

Froglet

I've just seen a job advertised - a leadership role I would be interested in applying for but it's to start in September and the interviews aren't until June (i.e. after the resignation deadline) any ideas about how they could manage that?

I actually got hold of the head today who said they'd ask if my head could release me early and if they wouldn't the post would start asap after September.

I strongly suspect my head would say no!

Edited by Froglet
  • Like 1

Th

In all reality the start would then be January!

That's what I thought! And I think my own head would be reluctant to let me go cos of the difficulty in replacing me in the same timescale. That's not meant to be as arrogant as it sounds but I think they would want someone with some experience to have my job as (literally) no one else in school has any EY experience. I of course am trying to decide whether it's worth me actually applying!

Thing is, the school will know about notice periods so it shouldn't come as a shock to them that an ideal candidate may not be released for September.if you fancy the job I would go for it anyway and say that you may not be released until January. If they really like you they may be prepared to wait and temporarily fill the vacancy they have. You won't ever know if you dont try and even if you aren't successful this time, you will have gained interview experience.

• Like 4

I agree Mundia. I dont think that taking part in interviews is a bad thing. It makes you reflect and challenge yourself about what is happening in your life at that particular moment. Even unsuccessful interviews can be a learning opportunity - or just make you realise the positive aspects of what you already have???

Good luck Froglet - whatever you decide to do. ;)

• Like 1

Good luck Froglet! You go for it!

This happened to someone in my school and they did have to wait until January, so there was a bit of running around between the two school towards Christmas for 'hand-over' both ways, but it wasn't too bad. She did get two Christmas lunches as well!!

I'm not school based so don't understand the 'system' for looking for jobs ..

but I've always wondered if you go for the interview and don't get it, how does that 'help' with the relationship with the school that you are currently at?

I'm not saying don't go for it - I'm just wondering how it all works! :1b

Thank you for all your replies and encouragement everyone.

but I've always wondered if you go for the interview and don't get it, how does that 'help' with the relationship with the school that you are currently at?

Until my current job I was always in temporary contracts so people were expecting me to be looking for jobs and were disappointed on my behalf when I didn't get them (am good at applications but rubbish at interviews!). Generally I think people expect you to move around and look for different things. Especially earlier on in your career where you want to develop experiences of different schools and roles.

In this specific case my head is (and always has been) incredibly supportive. Yes, getting it would cause the extra work of appointing a replacement and inducting them and getting the 'team' to gel again but it also gives the opportunity to freshen things up and to try to avoid some of the problems that a particular personality avoids (I'm not aware that I cause any! ;) ) The post is a leadership role (KS1 co-ordinator) and my current school is too small, with too small a budget, to offer or acknowledge any kind of leadership role even though I already do much of it. My HT knows I went to look, has, in the past, talked through interviews, job applications and offered to read them through for me. When I haven't got the jobs I've gone for he's always said "glad to have you on our team" 'debriefed' me to help prepare for the next time and things have carried on as normal.

Of course, he could just be smiling on the surface and cursing that he didn't get rid of me underneath...! :o

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking that teaching staff in schools have to give half a term's notice to leave and that is the reason for your original post? Is it the same for the support staff in schools?

In the non LEA world we have different notice periods as defined in our contracts. Ours is worked out on the length of time we have been employed.

Most HTs will understand that staff will move on and professional development is typically about supporting you to develop the leadership skills needed - there is a career progression within schools which is all part of developing the future leaders. Otherwise who will fill the HT posts of the future!

You would typically have to ask for time off for the interview and you are expected to give your current HT as a referee so it's generally never a secret anyway. I'm always surprised at the level of skulking around that friends in non teaching jobs have to do when they are applying for a new job!!

Am I right in thinking that teaching staff in schools have to give half a term's notice to leave and that is the reason for your original post? Is it the same for the support staff in schools?

In the non LEA world we have different notice periods as defined in our contracts. Ours is worked out on the length of time we have been employed.

The deadline for resignations (in the maintained sector - it could be different in independent, free and academy schools who can employ on their own terms) is defined as the half term to leave at the end of term. This is part of teachers pay and conditions of employment. You can be released from your contract if the HT/Governing Body agree but I don't think it's that usual. The problem lies with getting replacement staff as your new person would have to resign by the next half term.

Cx

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got it! I am somewhat in shock and keep crying! Both good as I'm pleased but also sad at leaving a couple of people who I've really grown to care about at my school. And how do I cope with all those children I really wanted to see finish primary school but won't now!

• Like 6

And now enjoy your weekend

I will. Although to be honest I don't think I have time to think about it properly just yet. There have been lots of challenges of various kinds at school recently and between those and job application and interview preparation I still have 29 reports to write before Friday. Plus we heard that our SIAMS inspection in next week and I'm Collective Worship co-ordinator so lots of bits to revise and mop up there! I'm going to sleep next weekend... ;)

Many congratulations - I hope you really enjoy your new role.

This is such a busy time of year it's hard to find two seconds to think - but just be glad and put it on the back burner while you get to the end of the next couple of weeks.

Will you be staying where you are for the Autumn term, or are you being released to your new role? (makes you sound like one of my caterpillars/butterflies, sorry - but I guess it is a bit like that!)

Will you be staying where you are for the Autumn term, or are you being released to your new role? (makes you sound like one of my caterpillars/butterflies, sorry - but I guess it is a bit like that!)

My niece wants to be a butterfly when she grows up and she told me I was a caterpillar the other day so it fits! I don't know about release - the heads need to talk about that next week! But yes, I will stay where I am for at least part of the autumn term and I'm quite glad about that - gives me time to tie up loose ends, get my head round things and say goodbye!

Congratulations! One thing I have learnt over the years is that they all get along without you when you leave, no matter how indispensible you think you might be!!

I know - have learnt that leaving many jobs. It's more just I want to know how some of my little ones (often those who have been particularly challenging) turn out. This is the first time I've applied for a teaching job because I chose to not just because I had to. My current job is my first permanent contract. It's just weird. Plus people have said such nice things to me which I really didn't expect.