Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First day back

sunnyday

Phew!

I was feeling enthusiastic about today's return after the Easter hols - though slightly 'worried' as my deputy has started Jury Service today - poor thing she was dreading it - let's hope it doesn't go on for too long - she was planning to sit in a corner wringing her hands, rocking and muttering in the hope that she didn't get chosen - wonder how that's worked out for her :D

We always work 'over ratio' so not a real 'problem' without her - just not as 'comfortable'! :1b

My most 'challenging' child was booked out on holiday - guess what he turned up! :blink: :D

Anyway - we managed!

Hope everyone has had a good day :1b

First day back for us has meant something very different.

Daughter 1 has chosen to go into school today despite being on study leave so she can spend her 18th birthday with her friends which has really bowled me over.

Daughter 2 has got up, dressed, breakfasted and out to school with a smile and a wave despite it being the first day of her first full term in her new school.

Some of you may remember some of the battles I've had over the years to get adequate school provision for my daughters and they are now both in lovely schools where their support needs are readily acknowledged and effectively met and I am seen as a partner, not a pain in the proverbial.

I'm sure this morning doesn't sound like anything special for lots of people but it is the holy grail for lots of families of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders and I'm revelling in the fact that we seem to have got there at last!

• Like 19

ahh Upsy i am so pleased :1b

- my first day back started late as my son started his marine training today found him crying silently over his cereal this morning so had to wait and put him on his train myself (still my little boy at heart) so we are all a little shell shocked today... :huh:

mind he did hug his sister before leaving - she was even more shocked lol........ :wacko:

• Like 5

ahh Upsy i am so pleased :1b

- my first day back started late as my son started his marine training today found him crying silently over his cereal this morning so had to wait and put him on his train myself (still my little boy at heart) so we are all a little shell shocked today... :huh:

mind he did hug his sister before leaving - she was even more shocked lol........ :wacko:

Goodness me - could you all please stop making me cry......

Hope all goes well for him - bless.....

• Like 1

I too was looking forward to going back - Easter seems a life time ago and the hols with the extra Good Friday seemed to be quite long for a change.

But, my how the children have changed :blink: ;)

xDxDxD I know the feeling - mine had all left their 'manners' at home this morning :blink: it always makes me appreciate how different they must be when they make the transition to primary school after the long summer break - bit of a daft system if you ask me........

• Like 1

1. Well we had a blinding start mind you we aren't up to full compliment so that may be why they were all so manageable, I really do believe they missed us!

Lots of disappointment from parents over not getting their choice of schools for the little ones though, I can see some stress ahead

Upsy Daisy - how wonderful to read your positive post about your darling daughters - just goes to prove we all get there in our own way!

I'm sure this morning doesn't sound like anything special for lots of people but it is the holy grail for lots of families of children with Autism Spectrum Disorders and I'm revelling in the fact that we seem to have got there at last!

Sounds pretty special to me Upsy Daisy! What a great start to the term for all of you.

Not a first day back for us as we never close! :D

Our schools and Pre-schools went back last Monday so just a normal week for us...if there is such a thing!

• Like 1

found him crying silently over his cereal this morning so had to wait and put him on his train myself (still my little boy at heart) so we are all a little shell shocked today... :huh:

Oh Hali! I hope he's feeling better now he's there and getting stuck in.

Edited by Upsy Daisy
  • Like 1

Fraid not Upsy had him on the phone in tears at 11pm last night - sure i didnt bring him up to be this soft B)

anyway wrote him a long letter and posted this morning his nan in Cyprus has done the same so hopefully that will help :rolleyes:

Fraid not Upsy had him on the phone in tears at 11pm last night - sure i didnt bring him up to be this soft B)

anyway wrote him a long letter and posted this morning his nan in Cyprus has done the same so hopefully that will help :rolleyes:

Oh bless......

Oh dear. I had the same when son went to Uni in Edinburgh. Only he wasn't crying, just obviously trying really hard not to! Driving away and leaving him sitting on his bed in that breeze block walked building was one of the hardest things I've done

Have I told you he has got his doctorate though! For his amazing stem cell things you have all voted for him doing? Soooo proud!

• Like 7

Phew!

I was feeling enthusiastic about today's return after the Easter hols - though slightly 'worried' as my deputy has started Jury Service today - poor thing she was dreading it - let's hope it doesn't go on for too long - she was planning to sit in a corner wringing her hands, rocking and muttering in the hope that she didn't get chosen - wonder how that's worked out for her :D

We always work 'over ratio' so not a real 'problem' without her - just not as 'comfortable'! :1b

My most 'challenging' child was booked out on holiday - guess what he turned up! :blink: :D

Anyway - we managed!

Hope everyone has had a good d

Dont know about first day now - seems so long ago - I am well and truly shattered from first week back, still only another 12 to go!

Dont know about first day now - seems so long ago - I am well and truly shattered from first week back, still only another 12 to go!

Another 12 what - days? Oh no weeks! :P Is that all it is - crikey - busy, busy term this one though - what am i saying they are all pretty busy, busy, busy! :D

We had a real bonus this morning - as i said my deputy is on flippin' Jury Service - but she was granted a 'day off' today so she was able to come to work - yay!

She has to report back there on Monday though for her second week :(

When do you finish? We have a 13 week term, but we started back two weeks ago - so only another 11 for us.. :wacko: