Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Playgroup trip

Rea

Our manager has organised a trip but staff arent going.

Before I query it, is it normal to arrange something just for the parents and children and be closed to everyone not going?

Staff will be at home catching up on paperwork :huh:

Well that would rather depend upon whether you are claiming funding that day for children, who clearly will be being looked after by their own parents!

We have a summer picnic each year, but on a day when we are closed anyway, we don't open on Wednesdays this way nobody loses out (well except for me because I still pay staff wages to attend!). Parents or carers must come along too.

I don't think what your Manager is doing - i.e. getting staff to catch up is right really. They should be paid for their time, I know money is tight for your group Rea. Could staff one at a time be on your premises somewhere quiet catching up while everyone else keeps the ratios right during a session. If not, and it has to be done at home, then could they be persuaded to do it as a one off and come up with a better workable solution for your staff.

personally, as a manager, I can't imagine anything worse...my idea of hell. give me the staff and children rather than parents and children on any outing.....and why would the parents want an outing like that? Mine certainly would not.

• Like 3

Just been told 2 out of 4 staff are going but I still think its strange. i dont remember it happening in my day :mellow:

I've unofficially resigned, I've sent the letter to everyone concerned except for the charity commission and ofsted so I probably shouldnt bother about it but it seems strange.

Whats the point in having a trip without the staff? I just dont get it. Why bother? Why now?

Does seem a bit pointless Rea, sort of thing you might organise in the holiday but not in term time.could the staff not going ( for whatever reason ) open as normal with the children not going, obviously maintaining legal requirements ? As already said you may have a problem with funded children losing out, I'd definately say if staff need to 'catch up' they could do it in the setting on pay, Just out of interest what is the manager doing ?

• Like 1

Managers going with our only unqualified staff member. Just spoke to another member, she said two others had told manager that staff are redundant on trips because the parents are there so a waste of time them going!

If we're paid funding for education then I'd say staff should all be there to help with the education side plus not all the parents know each other, staff can offer a link to everyone.

Oh well!!

Edited by Rea
  • Like 2

Managers going with our only unqualified staff member. Just spoke to another member, she said two others had told manager that staff are redundant on trips because the parents are there so a waste of time them going!

If we're paid funding for education then I'd say staff should all be there to help with the education side plus not all the parents know each other, staff can offer a link to everyone.

Oh well!!

I agree Rea - it would be positive parent/staff links for future ofsteds! We may appear to be spare parts at this type of gathering, however, at ours it would appear all the parents really want to do is sit and chat and not interact with their offspring and we as educators can show them how it's done and frankly how we earn our money.

• Like 2

Every child will be with a parent, no parent, no trip. So not every child is going. The coach is free and the manager negotiated a deal at the attraction, so it hasnt cost much. But even so I still think, if its in term time it should include all staff and all children.

I cant wait to be out of all this!

Just had words with a parent on our facebook page. I removed a negative post she'd made and now she's querying my decision. It is what it is love, get over it! :angry:

I might just remove myself from the whole thing.

Book a holiday, dont tell anyone............. B)

If it is a funded day they are entitled to have either a day in the setting or one outside if the parent chooses... it is not right that the setting should close and those unable to attend with parents get excluded... this is a form of discrimination and should a parent complain it will not be seen well.

We used to have a trip with parents but staff attended and any parents who could not attend the staff looked after those children.. usually it was a non funded day so any issues did not arise with closing etc.. usually turned out to be a very good day for parent partnerships..

we did have one year where some parents did not want child to attend, and as it was a funded day we had to open the setting with 2 staff for those not going on the outing..

As a parent I would be very miffed if the setting closed and I was not able to attend / my child missed a day and I had to find the additional care..

If this is to go ahead you will have to hope no parent complains formally .

• Like 3

We have staff on our annual trip as its a big day for everyone, the relationship building side of it is unmeasurable. We offer staffed places for children up to the amount we can do ratio wise, then parents pay to come along with their child/ren. The setting is closed this day to everyone we offer another session over that month as we can not do it in less due to fact we are full most days, or children that pay for extra sessions Ontop of funded hours have it reflected in their bill. Last year I did leave two staff at the setting to clean etc just because we had no room left on two coaches and it would have ment a family not getting a place. We love our trip day x

The parent partnership link is priceless and days like this build it x

• Like 2

Can we presume that there will be a first aider on the trip. I would have thought the ratios would ensure that trip not cover under setting insurance.

The problem is that parents don't watch their children on trips (I know for a fact) and if something happens who are parents / ofsted going to blame.

We have a consent form which covers general photos taken by us, it states set off, return times, emergency contact tel for us, meeting points also any information passed to us by place such as hand washing etc if animals are there, we take a small amount of first aid but highlight on form where it's located at the centre. There is a very big bold bit that states that the children are their responsibility at all times unless the child is attending under a fully supervised place. Forms are all signed and kept, other side is booking place form with deposit amounts etc and the refund statement x

We just don't take the parents ;p, well only a few committee members needed to keep ratios adequate, it does raise a grey area of who has responsibility, and we find some of the children act up with parent there, we were often waiting for a parent to get back to bus as they have a habit of wondering off, so we don't invite them anymore :D

• Like 1

Just a word to the wise for those of you organising trips for parents ...you need to do medical forms to take with you not only for the children but ALSO for the parents. You are seen as the trip organiser and if a parent were to fall and break their ankle /have a seizure etc etc you would need to know who to contact (and why it might have happened ..diabetic?epilepsy?)..not only to safeguard them but to arrange care for their child!

• Like 2

Would question responsibility, accountability, insurance cover, safeguarding, ratios, first aid off the top of my head! All seems rather unorthodox and as a manager I wouldn't do it!! (not for a gold watch springs to mind!)