Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tablets verses computer

In our setting we have a computer tower, a screen, keyboard and mouse. The children are able to access educational games on this. I have become aware that since the introduction of touch screen and tablets that this is now quite archaic!! I have asked our committee if we can purchase a couple of tablets for the children to use. One part of me feels that some children probably have to much access to these at home and do we really need to provide them in our setting? But what about the families that might not have them? I would be very interested to hear what you have in your settings. I was meant to go on a training last month about the digital world of the early years child but was I'll and missed it, which is such a shame.

We have iPads for tapestry but rarely let the children use them........unless we need help! Our children have so much access to mum's phone / iPad that they all know how to use them and need to play with their friends at playgroup.

I take my ipad in occasionally and they are like busy bees round a jam pot. I have heard that at school though the children try to use the older computers by touching the screen and so what you are using really is standing them in good stead, and its good hand eye co-ordination with the mouse.

We don't have any computers at pre-school because I too feel that this is one thing in early years they can go without and have all the excitement of it at school - just one more reason to want to go to school I always think, rather than wanting to stay with us.

• Like 1

Our children have so much access to mum's phone / iPad that they all know how to use them and need to play with their friends at playgroup.

Would you say that asking parents about their child's awareness of and skill with ICT would be enough to ensure knowledge and ability, to meet EYFS requirements?

Would you say that asking parents about their child's awareness of and skill with ICT would be enough to ensure knowledge and ability, to meet EYFS requirements?

That's what we do Wildflowers in their last term with us, before that there is plenty they can do in the setting which counts towards the goal. I do think you have to be quite specific about what you ask though, this year we are going to have a mini questionnaire about it rather than just asking. I think children should be very proficient in the use of a computer, be able to download or upload from digital cameras something they have recorded, they should be able to access programs and shut them down, be computer literate. Many young children use the computer at home, but how many switch it on, use a password, open a program? yes they are very good at playing games on them but it is so much more than that isn't it?

• Like 1

we use our tablet at pre-school ...but we do not have games on it. We use it as an extension to what we are learning so today we were watching octopussies.....sorry octopi then making with strips of paper and cherrios for the suckers, which we looked at on the tablet

We only have one tablet and it's still a bit precious so used under supervision!

Panders ~ A good idea with a questionnaire and thanks for suggestions of what to have one it.

With what we currently look for and I got from your post, a list for children aged 40-60+ could contain:

• Can switch on a computer and enter a password, and open and shut down a program
  • Can use a mouse (point and click) and a touch screen (tap, swipe, pinch)
  • Can upload pictures from a digital camera
  • Knows how to search for information on the Internet (type a search word)

Any suggestion for what to add / remove / reword?

personally i wouldn't want the password bit...they should be actively discouraged from this at home in order to protect them!

I know what you mean Finleysmaid, but I think they should know that passwords exist and why - parents can lock their ipads, phones and computers changing the password or making sure the little ones don't get hold of that information - and we are talking here potentially of a child nearing their 6th birthday in the 40-60+ age range, rather than a 4 year old, both of whom should be under supervision still, or the device in the same room as an adult.

Edited by Panders

Panders ~ A good idea with a questionnaire and thanks for suggestions of what to have one it.

With what we currently look for and I got from your post, a list for children aged 40-60+ could contain:

• Can switch on a computer and enter a password, and open and shut down a program
  • Can use a mouse (point and click) and a touch screen (tap, swipe, pinch)
  • Can upload pictures from a digital camera
  • Knows how to search for information on the Internet (type a search word)

Any suggestion for what to add / remove / reword?

Wondering whether they should be able to save their work to a folder? In which case they would have to know how to make a new folder and name it, then go into Save as - find the folder name their work and put it in (too much??)

I am sure we must have some year R teachers who could tell us exactly what they are hoping to see done independently for the 40-60+ age range.

We have a PC in our room and I have it set up so they can't mess around with anything that would damage the system. I have access to the admin account that is password protected and they have an account of their own. No password and they know that the robot is for them and the flower is for me (account pictures).

It doesn't have Internet access but it has some education games on it (dog and cat, number run etc).

I like that they're learning these skills early on, but I also encourage them not to sit at the computer all morning haha.

Wondering whether they should be able to save their work to a folder? In which case they would have to know how to make a new folder and name it, then go into Save as - find the folder name their work and put it in (too much??)

I am sure we must have some year R teachers who could tell us exactly what they are hoping to see done independently for the 40-60+ age range.

Not sure that I know how to do that :blink: and I'm definitely in the 40-60+ range - just a shame it's years not months :D

• Like 3

We don't have any computers at pre-school because I too feel that this is one thing in early years they can go without and have all the excitement of it at school - just one more reason to want to go to school I always think, rather than wanting to stay with us.

Our feelings too - however it wasn't Mrs O's a couple of weeks ago - ended up as an action :(

Our feelings too - however it wasn't Mrs O's a couple of weeks ago - ended up as an action :(

Thank you for mentioning that - I will be putting forth my view before she can then we she calls, see if that makes a difference! B***** cheek - I don't see it written down that they have to have computers at 3-4 age range. Our children are from affluent backgrounds, they have access to all sorts at home, so often parents have said they are pleased we don't have them,

• Like 2

Thank you for mentioning that - I will be putting forth my view before she can then we she calls, see if that makes a difference! B***** cheek - I don't see it written down that they have to have computers at 3-4 age range. Our children are from affluent backgrounds, they have access to all sorts at home, so often parents have said they are pleased we don't have them,

Tried to use that as an explanation myself - didn't work :(

We did have 'ICT toys' push button things, washing machine, CD player, toy hoover etc and she did acknowledge that but there wasn't anything to expand on - nope nothing beats the computer for our inspector!

I'd be inclined to disagree with her as well- given the way our children swarm like bees around a honeypot if I have my ipad out! They nearly all say- I have xyz game on mummy/daddys phone/tablet. I'm really against them spending even more time on screen. We had one child recently who on his SALT report as things to do at home "limit screen time to a max of 30 mins per day" How sad.

We have laptops, with mice and they are really struggling with them ,most as said already- stand there swiping at the screen. It's only really been this last year or so but I think virtually all of them have some form of tablet/smartphone at home. Coming from deprived/poorer backgrounds does not seem to exclude them (or parents) from having these. They're not particularly expensive to buy and I think out of 50 odd parents we only have one without a mobile number - and I bet most of them are smartphones!

Edited by lynned55
  • Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)