Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Our own 'makes'

Cait

5 hours ago, louby loo said:

Yes the yellow thing is bugging me! I feel like it's some kind of Celtic embroidery stencil, I want to say for sort of 'tufty' type work (not sure how to explain that.

May I crop the picture and put it on one of my sewing groups pages?

By all means Louby Lou put it on  your sewing groups please, also if anyone would like the yellow thingy I would happily post.  There were also two of the wool separators so would gladly part with one of those.    Think all these items must have been from an older person's stash, there were lots of knitting needles/crochet hooks and paper patterns etc. in the box I pulled this little bag out of.

Edited by Panders

• 2 months later...
On 10/04/2022 at 10:23, Froglet said:

Just so Cait has something to look at! 😉

810F0955-D8D8-4167-B51C-A473BFA4DD3F.jpeg

Fantastic!  I bet you were thrilled that they matched!    I made a cardigan for my granddaughter in self changing yarn, telling myself I wouldn’t care if the bits were very random, however, when it was ready to sew up, I realised that the sleeves, the back and one front matched really well, but the other front didn’t!   I unravelled what was left of the ball until I found the start of the repeat that matched the other front, and managed to make another left front, so it all looked coherent!  

• Like 1

People always say that it doesn’t matter if they don’t match but it would to me. Plus I enjoy the challenge of making them match. These aren’t completely right the toes finish at a different place. I suspect I lose count of the rows I’ve done! I would have been the same as you with that cardigan!

I really want to have a go at a jumper or cardigan for me - there are so many amazing patterns out there. I suspect that my eyes are bigger than my skills though!

On 12/04/2022 at 03:02, Cait said:

Fantastic!  I bet you were thrilled that they matched!    I made a cardigan for my granddaughter in self changing yarn, telling myself I wouldn’t care if the bits were very random, however, when it was ready to sew up, I realised that the sleeves, the back and one front matched really well, but the other front didn’t!   I unravelled what was left of the ball until I found the start of the repeat that matched the other front, and managed to make another left front, so it all looked coherent!  

I'm like this with clothes, it's rubbed off on Andy and he's started twitching at bad pattern matching on TV !🤣

• Like 1

On 12/04/2022 at 21:41, louby loo said:

I'm like this with clothes, it's rubbed off on Andy and he's started twitching at bad pattern matching on TV !🤣

Yes!  Even my husband comments now having sat through a few series of Sewing Bee!   

• Haha 1

On 12/04/2022 at 09:03, Froglet said:

People always say that it doesn’t matter if they don’t match but it would to me. Plus I enjoy the challenge of making them match. These aren’t completely right the toes finish at a different place. I suspect I lose count of the rows I’ve done! I would have been the same as you with that cardigan!

I really want to have a go at a jumper or cardigan for me - there are so many amazing patterns out there. I suspect that my eyes are bigger than my skills though!

Go for it!   Get some yarn from Marriner - good range and not overly expensive - and just have a play.   There’s no rush, if you start it soon then you don’t need to have it until autumn.  I sometimes make a cheap one and see how I like it, then if I do, I get some more expensive yarn and do it properly.  The cheap one is good for gardening or just bimbling at home, and the proper one is for better things.  

• Like 2

On 13/04/2022 at 20:32, Cait said:

Go for it!   Get some yarn from Marriner - good range and not overly expensive - and just have a play.   There’s no rush, if you start it soon then you don’t need to have it until autumn.  I sometimes make a cheap one and see how I like it, then if I do, I get some more expensive yarn and do it properly.  The cheap one is good for gardening or just bimbling at home, and the proper one is for better things.  

Thanks for the encouragement and the yarn recommendation!

• Like 1

On 18/04/2022 at 18:15, Froglet said:

The Hermione socks are finished! I’m not quite sure what to do for my next project. Back to school tomorrow so probably something that doesn’t require too much thinking!

53D7081A-0C77-4755-89A9-1D8D8E6ED8D4.jpeg

They look fabulous!  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/05/2022 at 10:27, Froglet said:

One crochet schnauzer! I’m really pleased with him. He’s for a friend but I’m tempted to make one for me too.

3D4B6E72-0EA3-4BD3-8068-0516F9EDDA93.jpeg

Completely gorgeous!  Are you taking orders for them? 

On 02/05/2022 at 17:00, Cait said:

Completely gorgeous!  Are you taking orders for them? 

If you want, as long as it’s not urgent. Crochet is my escape and the summer term is the busiest of all - I don’t want it to become something I feel pressured about.

Ooh I’d love one please!  My sister has had schnauzers for years.  Will be a perfect gift!  

No rush at all.  Her birthday isn’t until December.  Doesn’t even need to be this year.  🥰

Edited by Cait
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Ooh I love that technique - one of the few fancy stitches I can do - I made an amigurami octopus once in a ‘learn to crochet’ class, where we found out that the ‘teacher’ we were paying was watching the videos on YouTube and teaching herself a few days before our classes - we could have saved £20 a week!  

• Like 1

On 17/08/2022 at 14:24, Cait said:

Ooh I love that technique - one of the few fancy stitches I can do - I made an amigurami octopus once in a ‘learn to crochet’ class, where we found out that the ‘teacher’ we were paying was watching the videos on YouTube and teaching herself a few days before our classes - we could have saved £20 a week!  

£20.00 per week?!

I charge £2.50 per week for Knit and Natter - this just covers the hall rent and refreshments - mind you I suppose I am not teaching anything

Oh I wonder if young Froglet has been back to 'crafternoon'...

On 17/08/2022 at 15:05, sunnyday said:

£20.00 per week?!

I charge £2.50 per week for Knit and Natter - this just covers the hall rent and refreshments - mind you I suppose I am not teaching anything

Yes!  It was two lessons a week for a month!   Money for old rope!  We only did two weeks!   It was £15 per person, but if you brought someone then there was discount - no, I’m not sure how she worked that out either - we did tell her that if she just said that everyone was £10 she would probably get more takers, or even £5 a session.  I think a lot of folk dropped out - what a surprise 

edit - she did provide the hooks and yarn….  

Edited by Cait
  • Like 1

On 17/08/2022 at 14:24, Cait said:

I love it too!  I have to admit that I was making the doll mainly so I could use that technique for the hair!  The doll is all finished now, I've just made a cardigan in uniform colours for her and she'll be joining me in school.  Hopefully with some classmates when I get them made - a boy with red hair and freckles is in my head!  Next on the project list is some gold crochet bunting to decorate a tree to celebrate our golden anniversary.  It's not quite what I visualised because the yarn is metallic and quite hard to work with but I think it will still be pretty.

On 17/08/2022 at 15:05, sunnyday said:

£20.00 per week?!

I haven't yet.  It was a little overwhelming but not so much that I wouldn't go again - have just been doing other stuff on Saturday afternoons.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2022 at 20:29, Froglet said:

The new classmates!

4923A37B-94E4-4237-AD7C-A4022204A32D.jpeg

Really good, the children are going to love their new classmates.

I feel I need to post a picture of my machine and the pile of unmade summer projects next to it 😂

I have done nothing productive this summer whatsoever and I can't believe it's all over next week 😮😭

Edited by louby loo
  • Like 1