Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Existing Injuries Form

Hi

Just wondered if you have a body map on your form?

Is it a requirement that we have one or could we describe the injury?

Does the PSLA/NDNA have one on their forms

Any thoughts appreciated!

We don't record any existing injuries, just make sure at least two members of staff see them when they come in or as soon as they're noticed. Our last ofsted inspector asked us if we did, I said we didn't and explained what we do etc and she was fine! If there are any in places you wouldn't expect then we do record in a book!

We don't record any existing injuries, just make sure at least two members of staff see them when they come in or as soon as they're noticed. Our last ofsted inspector asked us if we did, I said we didn't and explained what we do etc and she was fine! If there are any in places you wouldn't expect then we do record in a book!

When the two members of staff see them do you make a record of it? Ours are used so that we can see patterns if there are any, when you see the same child's injuries listed all on one sheet it's actually quite eye opening to see just how many times they come in with bumps, bruises etc. In fact by using them it actually bought up an issue that I could discuss with the local primary school because numerous children were coming in with cuts/bruises after slipping on the same piece of play equipment at the school when dropping off siblings - maybe they shouldn't have been on there in the first place but it prompted the school to issue a notice to parents about not letting children play on the equipment before school opening hours.....

• Like 1

Personally I'm surprised ofsted found that acceptable, we do it not only to cover ourselves, but to look for patterns and there may be that one time when what the parent/ child said about how it happened doesn't tie up, and I think you need to use your professional judgement about what you do/ don't record, particularly at this time of year with shorts and pedal bruises up shins, but if it's seen it goes in, and if it's noticed later it gets recorded, witnessed by 2 staff and parents are asked to sign on collection

• Like 2

We don't have a body map on existing injuries but do on accident forms and we do record everything. Although we have had a team discussion more recently about when to record accidents, for example do you record a little graze (even if it didn't require medical treatment) or do you not? do you record a when a child falls and bumps their knee which may or may not have had a red mark that may or may not be there at home time? and so on.

Any way I like both the examples given here they are much nicer than our forms which I think was adapted from a childminder one.

We record them and use a body map on these, incident forms and accident forms.

We are told quite clearly on safeguarding courses that we should use body maps. We have one with showing a whole body, front and back and one with the profile and front view of a face.

So what kind of things do you record? A small graze on a knee? A bruise on a shin? Also what if you don't notice them until half way through the day, do you record and get parents to sign at the end - what if they don't?? I have looked through the ndna advice notes and stuff and nowhere does it give an example or even mention existing injury forms, also we have never been told to record everything in safeguarding training etc just things that we think are not from everyday play. I don't want to add more paperwork unless I really really really have to!!

We do not note everything. Usually if child has had an accident in the last 24 hours and we are concerned that head was banged or (for example) child holding arm awkwardly. Or if there were concerns for the child.

Joanne

So what kind of things do you record? A small graze on a knee? A bruise on a shin? Also what if you don't notice them until half way through the day, do you record and get parents to sign at the end - what if they don't?? I have looked through the ndna advice notes and stuff and nowhere does it give an example or even mention existing injury forms, also we have never been told to record everything in safeguarding training etc just things that we think are not from everyday play. I don't want to add more paperwork unless I really really really have to!!

I completely understand your reluctance to add to you paperwork......however as my previous post, I was, many moons ago 'pulled up' by Ofsted for not recording 'existing injuries' - so make sure that I do so now! :1b

I record pretty much all types of injuries - I hope to notice them when children are arriving - but some 'slip by unnoticed' - in which case I will ask the child what has happened and then when parents collect will just say something like "oops I didn't notice that bruise on Johnny's forehead - he told me that he fell from the trampoline - I should have asked you to complete this form - would you mind doing it now" - to date (hope I'm not tempting fate here) I haven't had any 'refusals'........

Most of my parents will actually say to me "this happened yesterday do i need to fill ot one of your forms" when they arrive with an 'injured child'

As mouseketeer said - it really does help to identify any 'patterns' and is a useful tool with regard to safeguarding......

• Like 1

I completely understand your reluctance to add to you paperwork......however as my previous post, I was, many moons ago 'pulled up' by Ofsted for not recording 'existing injuries' - so make sure that I do so now! :1b

I record pretty much all types of injuries - I hope to notice them when children are arriving - but some 'slip by unnoticed' - in which case I will ask the child what has happened and then when parents collect will just say something like "oops I didn't notice that bruise on Johnny's forehead - he told me that he fell from the trampoline - I should have asked you to complete this form - would you mind doing it now" - to date (hope I'm not tempting fate here) I haven't had any 'refusals'........

Most of my parents will actually say to me "this happened yesterday do i need to fill ot one of your forms" when they arrive with an 'injured child'

As mouseketeer said - it really does help to identify any 'patterns' and is a useful tool with regard to safeguarding......

Spot on, we do and say exactly the same :) Parents are really good about it too and generally come in saying they need a form lol

• Like 1

sorry just to add too, I am having a safeguarding audit this week with our development worker, I had to complete a long form saying what we have in place etc and one of the questions on there was "Existing injuries are recorded on the same day and where appropriate discussed with parents and children and parents are asked to sign a copy of the record"

Having all the things on the audit in place is one of the expectations of county for us to be entitled to receive/offer Early Years funding........

yep i'm with sunnyday and Mrsbat on this one ...i too was told we HAD to when inspected and on the lasy inspection she checked our books too. It is really for insurance and safeguarding purposes . On a recent CPP we had to record things like existing injuries as part of the assessment. (we dont use body maps though and have not been told to in this area only for disclosure purposes)

• Like 1

It's strange how it differs, I completed our safeguarding audit for county in October last year and no mention at all (annual) The ofsted inspector may 2012 asked if we did them as a child came in with head bump, I explained what we did but nothing actually written down and she was fine with this. When was your inspection finleysmaid? We record any that we think are unusual or not everyday accidents or that have required treatment eg by the hospital but that's all and obviously any wth children 'at risk' in a child protection plan or anything. I presume then most of you are having to complete these at least once a day? We are re registering so may clarify this on the registration visit and see if they give me a definitive answer! Doubtful though!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)