Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Do we ever sleep?

Guest sn0wdr0p

Guest sn0wdr0p

I have noticed that it is very rare for me to come on the forum and there to be no members online. Maybe around 3am at times.

We must be very obsessive, insomniacs or have no other life. What's your favourite time to come on? Had a bad time a couple of months ago so didn't visit for a few weeks but usually come on a couple of times a day.

I've just come home from work-only 2 streets away, hubbie snoring on the sofa so kettle on the boil, chocolate biscuits out, a bit of a wind down having a nosy round the forum before bed.

Crumbs Snowdrop, you were working late. Saying that I was also at a pre-school meeting til nearly 10oclock.

My personal comment about this Forum is that it not only becomes your critical friend, it enables you to soundboard with other committed practitioners all trying to do our best for all the children and families in our care.

To know there is experienced people going through the same or similar dilemmas sometimes gets you through the day.

So huge thanks to all posties and moderators. Fx

• Like 11

After 21 years I have finally learnt how to leave work behind when I walk out the door at 4pm. I don't think about it, do any work or spend time prepping anymore and I stopped coming in to work at the weekend in September. I have made time for all my hobbies and sometimes I even do nothing! This forum allows me to see preschool as another one of my hobbies and so I dip in and out of here all day/evening and I think I am enjoying preschool more now than I ever had.

Edited by max321

Me too, I seem to have become obsessive and went in on the weekend as well. It's got to a point where I just cannot stop thinking about it or thinking what needs to be done etc, etc. We are incredibly busy with all sessions full until July, feedback from parents is at an all time high, as is the learning and enjoyment by the children. We are well overdue Ofsted and I think this may be one of the reasons that I cannot relax. Any tips and hints would be great!!! :blink:

I think, for me, it was a taking stock exercise. My husband had a serious heart attack and that proved to be the impetus we both needed to say, to hell with it, work is just work, how ever much I enjoy it, whats important is the stuff outside preschool. Don't get me wrong I still work hard for very little pay and wouldn't have it any other way but I no longer sweat the small stuff cos worrying doesn't change anything. I walk away each day knowing I've done a good job and done all I could in the time I had, the list for the following day is written, (in order of priority, one of my biggest problems was not doing the things that needed to be done first, after all who wouldn't much rather be making playdough with the children than updating policies). I have become much better at letting other people take on some of the work and even if it isn't exactly how I would have done it, I can deal with it and move on to the next thing. For 10 years I ran preschool in my own home and could be found doing preschool stuff all hours of the day, night and weekend so I can sympathise with those of you who are struggling to find the right balance but I would say take a step back and let other life in, don't wait until it smacks you in the face before you realise that whilst working in early years is a vocation, it is not the be all and end all and sometimes the love and care we give to the families at preschool we need to give to ourselves.

I whole heartily agree with max123.

Since Sept I've really cut back on all the 'extra's' I do at home and for free. I've learnt to delegate more... and yes- most of the time it's not done how I would have liked/done myself.... but hey- the settings still running fine :D:D:D

...............and it leaves me loads of time to spend on here xD

Don't get me wrong- I still do stuff at home, but it's only the nice stuff I want to do, and not what I need to do.

Thats great advice, just think it may be quite hard to break the habbit!! Hope your husband is well now.

Do you know I went on a local radio quiz the other day and when asked what my hobbies were, all I could think of was work!! That is really sad. :(:(

Thank you for asking, my husband is a new fitter, healthier version and we are enjoying life to the max. I have always had hobbies of one sort or another, I used to think it was me being selfish, you know, wanting to have things just for me but now I realise it has made me the person I am today and I can go to burlesque classes/choir/ ballroom dancing/ zumba/ book club etc knowing no one will care if the house isn't perfectly clean or the ironing is still piled up, confident that preschool will still be there tomorrow and I will be more relaxed and ready to deal with whatever is thrown at me.

Edited by max321

Guest sn0wdr0p

Max 321 you have made me take a serious look at myself and my family. I am the owner and manager of my setting and I am already in a panic about Ofsted visiting as discussed in another thread and found out today that I have an exploratoy operation on Monday followed by a pretty big one on 5th February after which I will be off work for a couple of months. (I am praying they don't turn up on Monday- I have in the past almost cancelled going for a mamogram when they were due -they came the day before fortunately) SO,(big breath and a sigh of relief) tomorrow I am interviewing a candidate for the managers position - and I am going to focus on family and health from now on. My youngest boys have special needs and are pretty challenging and they need to be my priority. Lots of polyfilla needed in my house for where things have been ripped off walls!!

Fingers crossed that the candidate tomorrow is a good one - she does come with 20 years experience as I will not be comfortable handing over my 'baby' to anyone but the best. We have always been a good setting and strive to be outstanding and I think we on the forum are all so obsessed because we are so dedicated and passionate about early years. It would be super if I could find someone as passionate and driven to take the reins.

Louby Loo I know where you are coming from - I truly hate ironing. My eldest son (now 21) was in a strop with me a few years ago and told me to "get in the kitchen where you belong and do the ironing". I have never ironed for him since - it took him a few weeks for him to realise and to his credit has never complained and gets on with doing his own. In honesty I was rather relieved to have a fifth less ironing to do. I know it's not very green but quite often put clothing on to tumble to save me having to iron it.

OK, OK, I know it's gone midnight now but I didn't say exactly when I was taking a step back. I may get withdrawal symptoms and will need to take this slowly - maybe no forum after 10 11pm and not before 6am. No telling tales if you see me on in the wee hours though.

Night night fellow addicts.

sn0wdr0p, it sounds like you need to get some 'me time' into that busy schedule of yours too. Take some time to do what you want. Well done for making the decision to step back a little, it will take time to get used to letting go and I still have days where I want to run into situations and take over from my very capable staff. Best of luck with your search for a manager xx

What a thought provoking thread.......

I have taken heed of the posts and I am about to 'step off the planet' for the weekend - I have promised myself that once I log off today - I will not log on - no emails :1b no forum :o - until Monday morning........further to that I am ignoring the 'phone - anyone that I might want to speak to has my mobile number or alternatively can call round! :1b

Having a good tidy too - don't want to keep seeing folders etc. which just serve to remind me of what I really 'should' be doing!

Who knows I might do something really radical like ....... read a book this weekend! :D

• Like 5

What a thought provoking thread.......

I have taken heed of the posts and I am about to 'step off the planet' for the weekend - I have promised myself that once I log off today - I will not log on - no emails :1b no forum :o - until Monday morning........further to that I am ignoring the 'phone - anyone that I might want to speak to has my mobile number or alternatively can call round! :1b

Having a good tidy too - don't want to keep seeing folders etc. which just serve to remind me of what I really 'should' be doing!

Who knows I might do something really radical like ....... read a book this weekend! :D

Fed up can't find "shocked" emoticon! Radical stuff Sunnyday x

• Like 1

Guest sn0wdr0p

OK I am heading in to work now but I have spent the morning catching up on last weeks xfactor with the family. Only going for a few hours then I am going to treat myself to the new Valerie Wood book in my Kindle. Love her books as they are set in my neck of the woods.

Interview went well, 2nd interview next week. She seemed perfect. I did mention that I may struggle to let go!!

Well done Sunnyday. Hope you enjoyed the break.

Well, as I've got all my planning and 'must do' school work finished before Sunday I'm going to follow Sunnyday's example and sign off for the weekend. I'm going to spend tomorrow cooking (pork, apple and cider pie) and either making cards for a certain time of year or sewing some patchwork (or both!). Enjoy your Sunday everyone - I will be!

• Like 1