Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Training requirements

Hi i wonder if anyone can help. i know last year you had to take part in 24 hours a year of training/professional development. This year in my setting my hours have dropped and i am only part time and i am not with the children very much at all. I have also taken on another job which i will be working while i am not in the nursery. Dose anyone know if i still have to legally take part in 24 hours of training a year. If i have to still take part in training then this could cause problems as i cant be taking time off my other job to go to training for the nursery.

My understanding is that all staff have to undertake 4 days (24hrs) unless you are senco in which case it is 7 days. Some of my staff only work 2 days a week and they do the same training as everyone else - can you arrange training for evenings or weekends? or even on the days you are due to be at the nursery if cover can be found?

it's only 3 days in our lea ...we now get round it by using e-learning and internal training most of the time. This allows us the freedom to chose the courses we want to do and when! Also 2 of my staff are doing FE courses so we count this in the training too.

Hi we questioned the 24 hour training in as much as what qualifies as 'training' as we were thinking cost etc... when they took away the funding and they have said that you can have internal training which maybe other staff filtering down what they have learnt. E learning and even books that you have read that have moved your professional understanding forward.

In Hampshire it's 24 hours pro-rata, so if you work 30 hours it's 18 hours training and 12 hours

for 20 hours work per week.

Training can be learning in different ways, not only through courses. In our setting we make

notes of articles read and educational videos watched etc in a professional development folder,

the content of which the practitioner shares with me (the manager) and with the practitioner in

staff development meetings (appraisals) and we discuss its impact on their practice.