Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

cash incentives offered for taking 2yr funded children

Hi everyone, phew it's a warm one!

I haven't been on the forum for quite a while but have a little matter that has been bought to my attention re 2 yr funding and I am hoping there is someone who knows a little more about this please.

I have a memo reporting that a journalist at the BBC has heard that some schools are being offered incentives of £2k to take these little people and that day nurseries have been offered £500.The offer is coming from some local authorities although I don't know which ones they are.

As a member of the PSLA committee I have been asked to put it to the forum in the hope that someone might know a little more about this.

Any thoughts appreciated please :1b

that would have been very nice lol. we have taken funded two year olds since the start and have only received the funding amount - which does not actually cover all the extra that comes with some two year olds - extra meetings, supporting parents , etc .,

wonder what areas received monies - certainly not in the south

Edited by blondie

I haven't heard about this. Just did a quick Google search but all I could find was LA's offering grants to help providers expand to take more two year olds. It sounds outrageous but I'd be interested to hear about it. And why are schools bribed with so much more?! :o

Thnx for the replies. I agree Beehive if this were to be happening there is the issue of quite a difference in the amount. I am just really intrigued to think that this might be happening when there is so little money around,

Ditto Blondie and Beehive - only the funded hours - not enough to cover. There is grant money for building and resources though

I still wonder how nursery schools/units are funded to afford the wage of teachers, heads etc now it's 'bums on seats' Still them and us it would appear!

I also wonder what would happen if we didn't take up the funding - how the government would then meet it's targets - would there be further incentives in these days of austerity?

our LEa wants settings to provide 2 year old places but are not putting their money where there mouth is yet! but i assume that since they are being forced by the government and set targets for numbers then they will have to do something to persuade us.....(so that'll be £50 squid then :blink: xD ) I think the target for our area is about 430 places by 2015.....they've only got about a quarter so far!

I was asked to go along to some sort of 2 year meeting where I was told I could put in a claim for funding to cover new resources or setting up an area that might be needed.......but I didn't go (Dorset)

we do get money for resources...if we ask for it!

I completed the grant form recently to purchase resources, changing table etc. when I got to the last bit on the form it asked me to subtract the money will will get from the two year old funding from the money we were asking for! Ha! So not a grant then! Looks like they are expecting us to use the two year funding! Was an absolute swine of a form, and I have done a few over the years!

I still wonder how nursery schools/units are funded to afford the wage of teachers, heads etc

Through the direct grant to schools is the answer. This is from the DfE budget as all maintained (including now Free and Academy) schools in all phases are a public sector service as per various education acts along the way (free educational provision provided for children, including under 5s by the state has been in existence since the mid/late 1800s!) It has to be delegated to schools by the LA and is statutorily overseen by the "Schools Forum", an official body made up of representatives from the schools in the LA.

Cx

Guest babyjane31

we have just been informed that starting in September we will be receiving an extra amount of £50 per term per funded two year old to help with additional costs

Edited by babyjane31
  • Like 1

Through the direct grant to schools is the answer. This is from the DfE budget as all maintained (including now Free and Academy) schools in all phases are a public sector service as per various education acts along the way (free educational provision provided for children, including under 5s by the state has been in existence since the mid/late 1800s!) It has to be delegated to schools by the LA and is statutorily overseen by the "Schools Forum", an official body made up of representatives from the schools in the LA.

Cx

Thanks Catma!

we have just been told today that we can take NEF funded 2yr olds from Sept. We can apply for a capital grant to help our setting not sure how this works as yet but will find out tomorrow .

I was told that due to my already having a 'fabulously resourced and beautiful setting' I won't be eligible to claim any money. Hmmmm

Goodness Narnia, that hardly seems fair criteria to be eligible to claim! :o

I was told that due to my already having a 'fabulously resourced and beautiful setting' I won't be eligible to claim any money. Hmmmm

i think i would be asking for the legal framework that they are working to!. Im sure it doesnt say..."oh and dont give it to Narnias setting it's too well resources"!!! ^_^^_^

I know in our area the day nurseries will not take the two year olds, and we keep getting asked to take more.

I refuse on the grounds- that as one very big hall, pack-away everything everyday, we can only take limited numbers.......... they'd like us to fill our 26 spaces with two year olds!!!

x

We have just been told that new & existing providers on the 2 year register will be able to claim capital funding and also that they have a 'small budget' to help us develop and extend practice for two year olds will be writing to us in the Autumn term informing us how to claim.

This is just for the PVI sector though

Edited by lynned55

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our LA offered capital funding to good and outstanding settings, none for satisfactory to improve though ! The document for LA for providing funding has now changed and will only fund 2 yr old in good or outstanding settings unless parent cannot get them to one close to home and only then will satisfactory settings be eligible to take 2 yr olds. We take 2 yr old and are registered for funding but our last inspection was satisfactory as it happened just after I took over , I am only hoping that our next inspection is better

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)