Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Buying in

It looks like from next financial year, that we will have to buy in our training. There will be little or no support from our lea

How many of you already do this?

What are the pitfalls?

If you had a chance to speak to yr lea about this what would you have kept, changed, got rid of?

Waiting with anticipation and thanking you for your responses xx

Same for our LA, unless it is a statutory duty all providers/schools will have to pay for our services.

Hmmm - now we will realise just how 'spoiled' we have been.........

I am 'concerned' that those groups who really, really need support and guidance will not receive it now :( I can think of at least one that I am familiar with that seems to 'resent' LA support - I share a SIP with them and I know she doesn't get a warm welcome there - can't see them paying for any services :ph34r:

we have to pay now and get very little support, like you sunnyday I worry that those that really need the help wont get it. There is also the knock on that if you have a member of staff that needs training for CPD or for picking up practice levels where does that leave you ???

• Like 1

We have a bit of a mixture. We now have to pay (a lot!) for First Aid but get Safeguarding free (although this training has been reduced from six to three hours). There are not many courses provided to support each area of learning any more, mostly statutory/organisation stuff, but with some little gems in there.

We've always had to pay for training, pay for course, pay staff wages whilst doing course, and pay for bank cover for the course day.

Then they say they expect each staff to do a minimum of 3 per year.... :(

Add to the mix the quality of some of the training, together with actual courses choices on offer. :(:(:( :(

Guess we're lucky that LEA still provide training for us free of charge. We no longer receive staff cover costs and the training schedule is no where near as full as it used to be.

I however tracked down food hygiene online for around £25 per person helping to reduce costs

We've had to pay for ours for a while, £15 per training. Will be using the educare ones in the coming year as there are no county trainings near enough to us planned in the bulletin. We've all done lots this last year, so I think we are well up to date at the moment.

If I could change one thing at county training it would be to allow all staff to attend, not just one or two and rely on good cascading of information. I know this year that staff have returned from training with a version of what they think they have been told, and when I have challenged the trainer I have been told that this wasn't what was meant at all.

• Like 4

we have to pay for ours too - except for safeguarding.
we are expected to do 20 hours each every year - which is impossible as too expensive.
we can buy in training which covers lots of areas of learning and is done by eyst etc., which is good value as can have all staff there 14 of us for half day and think its about 150 which is only ten pds each for three hours.

we can also access training online which is free.

money is so tight at the moment in early years so cant blame them as i know from experience that when training was free people took the mickey by signing up for it and not turning up.

we still get free support from development worker and early years support teacher so thats a bonus .

Thank u for comments, my kind of understanding is there will be no support but will no more no doubt in due course.

We are at such a good place with all the excellent training we have received over the yrs. I think that early yrs provisions will start going backwards.

I know they need to make savings but this is very short sighted, little gain I feel.

Also just to mention 23 cc n Kent are under threat of closure, this is out for consultation . Form online, will try and find the link.

btw i was told some time ago that if you minute it you can use staff meetings and in house training to fulfill your obligations to Lea....this might free up some of your money to support bought in stuff

...oh and just a reminder that im holding an elklan course in september if anyones intersted! ;) (shamefull plug :P )

• Like 2

We haven't had much training to talk about for a couple of years now. Only free training is level 2 safeguarding and that was after a bit of a fight and a trade off as named CPO must now do Allegations Management and Multi-agency safeguarding at a cost. Also free is first aid and food hygiene (but only for named staff and number of named staff is limited to number of children registered for).

No staff release payments for ever (apart from a while back when EYP training days attracted staff release payments) - what a luxury for those of you who have had this

Training now available is pretty limited in scope due to budget cuts and GLF disappeared a couple of years ago.

LA provider agreements state that staff must do so much CPD / year however in-house stuff counts.

As PSLA members there is some free training available and also some discounted stuff. We also do online refresher training for stuff like food hygiene through the Virtual College.

If LA remit for training disappears altogether then suspect it will be either a v. expensive landscape for those that can afford it or a barren landscape for those who can't. <_<

Write to your local councillors - make a fuss about how much you need support. Respond to consultations. Councils are not going to be providing anything that isn't statutory and with more great childcare the writing is on the wall for LA teams, although Ofsted are saying there should be a role for local development support but who knows.

We will be restructured soon and are waiting to see what our "individual" letter will bring. 9 years of hard work raising standards and bringing a real sense of ambition to our settings and it could all go in one opening of an envelope.

I feel a bit sick just typing that actually.

And I'll still have to spend the summer writing trainings I may never get to deliver.

• Like 1

Write to your local councillors - make a fuss about how much you need support. Respond to consultations. Councils are not going to be providing anything that isn't statutory and with more great childcare the writing is on the wall for LA teams, although Ofsted are saying there should be a role for local development support but who knows.

We will be restructured soon and are waiting to see what our "individual" letter will bring. 9 years of hard work raising standards and bringing a real sense of ambition to our settings and it could all go in one opening of an envelope.

I feel a bit sick just typing that actually.

And I'll still have to spend the summer writing trainings I may never get to deliver.

So, so demoralising! Need an 'unlike' button :(

I booked a 3 hour basic child protection course today for one of the staff. Shocked that it now costs £50!! Cant see how this is justified if 30 people attend the course....£1500 for a venue and trainer for 3 hours?? Woh, more confirmation we are in the wrong job :P

Plus admin time/costs to organise the training, + materials, paper and copying costs + your refreshments (even basic tea, coffee and biscuits cost) + insurance costs... Venues are not cheap either.

Cx

You are too kind! I dont expect refreshments for a 3 hour course and am happy to access training materials online to keep costs down. My point really was that seeing that child protection is essential for all of us I feel it should be easy to access and available for all.

Would it not be possible for training to be orgainsed in church/village halls etc? Ours rents out for £15 an hour...

You are too kind! I dont expect refreshments for a 3 hour course and am happy to access training materials online to keep costs down. My point really was that seeing that child protection is essential for all of us I feel it should be easy to access and available for all.

Would it not be possible for training to be orgainsed in church/village halls etc? Ours rents out for £15 an hour...

The trouble is, what suits you, will be someone else's "this was terrible" evaluation!! I can imagine the comments if I made our providers access their training materials online!!

This is the way the world is going - free markets and choice for all. Most of our half day trainings are around £50 per person minimum, but other providers are available!

Edited by catma

It may be the way things are going , it doesnt mean its right for Early years.

I think paying for a course that enhances your personal development clearly there is a market for. However mandatory training like child protection should still be accessed free as this is for safety of children and ourselves.

Sorry if I sound unreasonable :ph34r:

I dont think it is at all unreasonable jazzy1.

I think what is now going to happen will be fewer and fewer staff doing

training, even if it is statutory- My staff have always ALL had full CP, SENCO & 1st aid training-

however our first aid was the first to go- so we now only have 2/3 first aiders each session rather than

the full 5/6 it was. Next year it may well be 1 or 2. We will all require CP updating in the next few months

but at £50 + per person certainly wont be able to factor that into the budget. So it will probably just be 2/3 staff again.

I feel we going the same way unless we are given a budget from kent

first aid is a £100, I have 4 staff now needing this so that's £400 alone on first aid, also 2 updating on S. G.

this is important, so I feel the really excellent training that really influences and makes the practice that I have excellent will have to go

in 5/6 yrs time settings will be back to the stage they were 10 yrs ago

I feel we going the same way unless we are given a budget from kent

first aid is a £100, I have 4 staff now needing this so that's £400 alone on first aid, also 2 updating on S. G.

this is important, so I feel the really excellent training that really influences and makes the practice that I have excellent will have to go

in 5/6 yrs time settings will be back to the stage they were 10 yrs ago

We were all due first aid this term so decided to 'buy in' and had training come to the setting for £500 for the 2 days. We 'sold' three spaces we had available to our local school for £50 so that helped. We were allowed up to 12 people. It was definitely worth it having someone come to us as we all were hearing the same thing and she adapted it to our setting/grounds/possible injuries. The biggest disadvantage was of course having to give up 2 days of half term for it!!

It is frustrating though that Kent are prepared to leave us to get on with it. :blink:

We were all due first aid this term so decided to 'buy in' and had training come to the setting for £500 for the 2 days. We 'sold' three spaces we had available to our local school for £50 so that helped. We were allowed up to 12 people. It was definitely worth it having someone come to us as we all were hearing the same thing and she adapted it to our setting/grounds/possible injuries. The biggest disadvantage was of course having to give up 2 days of half term for it!!

It is frustrating though that Kent are prepared to leave us to get on with it. :blink:

That sounds good jazzy - did you offer it to your parents at all?

Gosh, no that would have been a good idea actually as we still had two places!!! I shall definitely think about that in three years!!

Nice to meet other like minded intelligent people today

and you too Sue.

Worried how this will affect Early Years, groups struggling with money will not be able to send their staff on training, quality will be reduced... Kent has been so good and provided so much excellent training and therefore we have so many fantastic settings, scared for the future