Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Required notice not given

Policies state that a term's notice must be given if a parent wishes to remove a child

and that they have to pay the full term's fees if they don't. Parents are informed about

this when joining. I would like to know what policies other setting have about this and

if any parent not giving notice has ever paid. Thanks!

We only say a month notice cos thats how much notice we are allowed to claim from EYE so it made it simple to keep the same rule for everyone

Interesting question Wildflowers - has someone reneged on this agreement?

I don't have any policy for this - think that I just accept that families circumstances can and do change..........but perhaps that's because I have a 'healthy' waiting list.........

• Like 1

A mother wrote that she would like to keep her son with us until July 2014

and that his sister would start in September. Now the boy has been offered

a place in a school which she wants to take and the sister will go to the

school's nursery. According to policy she should pay for all of next term for

both of them. I've been told that this is the policy most private settings and

independent schools have. We don't have a waiting list.

I have never known a setting to have a terms notice! Most give 4 weeks. There is a clause with the 3 year funding etc that if a child transfers settings half way through a term the funding does not automatically follow them in order to give settings 4 weeks notice as is the norm.

We don't have a policy and just accept that this happens. Families move for various reasons etc.

A mother wrote that she would like to keep her son with us until July 2014

and that his sister would start in September. Now the boy has been offered

a place in a school which she wants to take and the sister will go to the

school's nursery. According to policy she should pay for all of next term for

both of them. I've been told that this is the policy most private settings and

independent schools have. We don't have a waiting list.

Thanks for the clarification - wish I could be of more help - I can see how this leaves you in a financially 'tricky' situation......

We only have 2 weeks notice but to be honest, I'm not sure you could actually enforce it anyway, and we dont get them to sign saying they agree to give x amount of notice, I can't see how people can be expected to give a terms notice,( yes I know we all have overheads, rent, wages, bills etc ....but a whole term? And look how different the length of a term can be, and families circumstances do change).

• Like 1

I think it is as well to have it in your policy, that allows you then to try and enforce it, or waive it as you feel is right by circumstances. I have never enforced it, but do know of another group locally who do - and it is accepted readily by the parents, I know because some of their children come to me and the parents always make sure they give the required notice.

• Like 1

well after losing £3500 pound in fees from parents changing arrangements at the last minute (a couple of years ago) we now have a VERY strict policy on this. Parents must give 6 weeks notice (the trustees can alter this) . The parents sign a contract when they accept the place ...they sign that they have read the information and that they understand the terms and conditions. If they do not give us the required notice we chase for money and have threatened solicitors letters..at this point most pay up. Sorry have stopped being nice about it ...can't afford to <_<

I,m interested to know how this works for funded children, say a parent tells you at the end of one term they are leaving, do you then claim funding for the next term even though child has left and what happens if they then go to another setting and claim funding ? or is parent asked to pay what you would have claimed, haven't had this happen but has set me thinking

You can't claim the funding for a child leaving.

I will change from a term's notice to half a term. My understanding is that most private settings

and independent school's nurseries require a full term, but I now discover that it is too long.

However, I don't expect to get paid for the half term either...

Some places keep the notice period as a deposit, I've been told, so parents have to pay half a

term when joining, if that is the notice, which is deducted from the last term's fees. (Not possible

for children who are completely funded though and can't cover the loss of funding.)