Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

How do you talk to your pets?

Rea

I've just had a bonfire. When I came in the house one of the cats was waiting to go out, so I opened the door and said 'be careful down the garden, I've had a fire'.

I shut the door and as so often happens, realised she wont understand a word of it. :ph34r:xD

I do it to the ferrets too 'why have you pooed there?' 'Now you've spilt the water 'I think I said NO!'.

Are we nuts or is it likely to be the best conversation we'll have some days? :D

I speak like this to my cat too - I swear she understands every word!

Do you think it's because we are so used to 'commentating' at work it just naturally spills over into home life

<thinks rocking the supermarket trolley when caught in conversation, chopping up hubby's tea in to little pieces, only filly mugs part full> :blink:

I do all of that gingerbread man + all sorts of gesturing when speaking - couldn't possibly use words to describe things such as size without using my hands :blink: xD Have even been known to say to Mr S "now that wasn't a very good idea was it" and all sorts of phrases that I use for the children! :oxD :lol:

• Like 2

Uppy Umbrella. Sammy Snake. Eddie Elephant.

Eddie Elephant. Annie Apple. Robber Red.

Poor Peter. Lucy Lamp Lady. Uppy Umbrella. Golden Girl. Sammy Snake.

It might help to keep things in! :rolleyes: :D

• Like 1

While I do wonder what my princess understands, I know she doesnt hear 'blah', she's far more intelligent than a smelly dog anyway. xD

:ph34r: I'm hiding from the dog lovers now :ph34r:

Finley is not impressed with this comment!!/////although have to say he is late for his hairdressing appointment so actually is a bit smelly!! :ph34r:

But i also speak to the cats guinea pigs and even the fish! :blink: :bananas: :bananas:

• Like 1

My boys always talk to me it would be rude not to reply... one has a very loud voice and he uses it all the time... one sort of chirrups at us, the other has a rusty voice that never seems to get out despite trying..

and when they come in with a special gift they all come in crying in a different sound so I know to go search for it...

of course I have to chat to them... and they repond depending on the tone..

• Like 1

I talk to my dog ALL the time and do you know what, he understands every word!! He is such a good listener!! ;) I must admit it's probably a good job I live in a very rural area as I talk to him when we are out walking and if I met too many people they would think I was a basket case.

No pets, no husband but I talk to myself all the time - frequently along the lines of 'Helen don't be such an idiot'!

Ah yes, I definitely do that. "Why on earth did you ....?" etc.

Although I don't call myself Helen, generally.

• Like 5

I talk to my dog ALL the time and do you know what, he understands every word!! He is such a good listener!! ;) I must admit it's probably a good job I live in a very rural area as I talk to him when we are out walking and if I met too many people they would think I was a basket case.

I'll show you basket case...I used to have a ferret that loved going for walks. We honestly have stopped traffic and had people coming out of their houses, we chatted to everyone we met. I once heard a little girl call to her friends 'oh look its the ferret lady'. :D

Edited by Rea
  • Like 1

I talk to the budgie (usually looking a little stuffed) most of the time. She never makes a peep, and only makes noises when she fancies it. At least all the other budgies we had talk aka mimic cry at us. Oh speak of the devil she has decided to natter now we are ignoring her hehehe.

• Like 1

Finley is not impressed with this comment!!

Ah, hence your user name! I've learned all sorts today

I constantly spell out words using ah, buh, cuh, etc and reference fingers by tommy thumb, Toby tall

I think these things are telling us all sorts about what early years does to a person...where's that in the Truss report!

Uppy Umbrella. Sammy Snake. Eddie Elephant.

Eddie Elephant. Annie Apple. Robber Red.

Poor Peter. Lucy Lamp Lady. Uppy Umbrella. Golden Girl. Sammy Snake.

It might help to keep things in! :rolleyes: :D

Not p.c. enough now Rea Robber Red is Red Rover and Poor Peter has changed his name to, and as for Naughty Nick!! and Wicked Witch!

Not p.c. enough now Rea Robber Red is Red Rover and Poor Peter has changed his name to, and as for Naughty Nick!! and Wicked Witch!

It had to happen <shakes head sadly>

Great how the powers that be will exact change 'on paper' so to speak but not do enough to make real differences!

Edited by gingerbreadman