Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Petition against proposed cuts to staff/child ratios

Guest Wolfie

Please can I urge you all to add your names to a petition against the Department of Education's planned proposals to cut adult/child ratios in all pre-school settings? Despite commissioning research which found that there were no benefits to making these cuts, the Government still thinks that allowing settings and childminders to care for more children with the same number of staff is a good and viable idea and will make childcare cheaper for parents.

PLEASE SIGN AND SHARE!

https://t.co/mCiDlfmI

Thank you! Please post the link to any other social media sites ... Facebook .... Twitter .... so many people are still unaware of these plans!

Of course I will happily sign, but we already go above the guidelines anyway and can't see how they could make us change our ethos. Think it might be more about settings that think its ok to work to the barest of minimum, they would be the ones I would be most scared about. Ducks:)

Of course I will happily sign, but we already go above the guidelines anyway and can't see how they could make us change our ethos. Think it might be more about settings that think its ok to work to the barest of minimum, they would be the ones I would be most scared about. Ducks:)

We are like you, however I've witnessed a few things this week (not at work I should add), and together with today's news about a possible triple dip recession may happen, I have a horrid feeling that things could get worse and even owners that are 'good' (like ours) are going to need to cut budgets. :(

Petition signed.

Done!! Crazy idea, I am from a group who always works with high ratios and feel very strongly it is the only way to achieve the outcomes that we need to and to give these children the very best start that we can. That will not change either in my group.

• Like 1

We also work above ratios, but view this move to change ratios as a way to cut funding which might force us to change what we do because we don't have the income to keep on as we are. The only option would be to put up the cost of unfounded hours which will just punish the parents and is something we want to avoid.

It is essential that parents/carers are made aware of these plans too - please share information as quickly as possible and provide a link to the petition! More worrying headlines this morning - an announcement is expected on Tuesday:

http://t.co/yIQLMzUi

We also work above ratios, but view this move to change ratios as a way to cut funding which might force us to change what we do because we don't have the income to keep on as we are. The only option would be to put up the cost of unfounded hours which will just punish the parents and is something we want to avoid.

My thoughts too... :(

I've signed and added to facebook but I think this is more about money than looking after children. Most groups now work above the quota. This will mean if we want to employ more staff we will have to divide the money around more people or ask parents to pay more and that won't happen in this climate at the moment.

ok so now no money for sen/ no support/ no money for eal/advisors have been cut etc and then they are mucking around with the ratios....we are going to have some major safeguarding issues rearing their ugly heads i fear :angry: :( If the government want more parents back to work then they need to think of other ideas...what about support for our businessess....tax incentives etc?

• Like 1

I've signed and added to facebook but I think this is more about money than looking after children. Most groups now work above the quota. This will mean if we want to employ more staff we will have to divide the money around more people or ask parents to pay more and that won't happen in this climate at the moment.

So do I steph.......it will benefit no one (apart from some unscrupulous owners) and especially not the children........

Guest sn0wdr0p

if the Government paid the childcare element to us directly it would help enormously to a small setting like mine which has £7000 outstanding debt from parents over the last 5 years.

It would also save them money for those parents who claim but no longer send their children or claim more than it costs - I have had about 3 parents caught out by tax credit over the last few months - one claimed £70 per week over and above what her real costs were then asked me to lie when they caught up with her - I said no.

• 3 weeks later...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE visit this 'one stop' website:

http://togetherforquality.com/

and this is the link to the 23 thousand (and climbing) strong petition (backed by PLA, NCMA, NDNA and a whole host of childcare 'names and experts)

https://www.change.org/keepratiosdown?utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=url_share&utm_campaign=url_share_before_sign

please sign it, please share it ....

we NEED to make this government listen before they destroy EY

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone who has signed and shared the link to the petition. We now have over 26,000 early years professional, parents and concerned members of the public that have signed the petition.

But still they government are not listening and are pushing ahead with all things related to More Great Childcare - including higher ratios and childminder agencies.

Please sign the petition and please pass on to friends, family and colleagues

www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/department-for-education-drop-plans-to-increase-child-to-adult-ratios

26,000 is a lot but compared to the population of the country - it is a drop in the ocean

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)