Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Aid Kit Contents

Would anyone be willing to share a list of the latest required contents for a children's nursery first aid kit that I could print off and use please ? Ideally with the 'source' and date of the information if possible.

If anyone also has any good tips regarding first aid kit - i.e. best system to ensure contents replaced, in date and regularly checked would be much appreciated.

Thanks

The list of contents we have in ours is from the PSLA policy. Personally I think it's very OTT with lots of triangular bandages, some of which should be sterile, large, medium and small bandages, eye wash, eye dressings, lint, sterile this and that. On a first aid course I went on we were told that it isn't necessary to have all that stuff, because FIRST aid is literally that, what we do first. So yes, maybe a few sterile bandages to stem blood flow, and eye bath, but anything beyond that and we're talking professional aid, even the bandage is pushing it a bit, he said. So it's a case of , who do we believe!

We had to take our first aid kit with us, and were more or less made a laughing stock! He said a help booklet, couple of steri pads, eye wash, and sterile resuscitation mask. So I'm not much help really!

I got my first aid kit from Rymans. It's a 50 person kit and cost approx £25. I've also bought sterile resuscitation masks from eBay with the one way valve and eye wash.

if you look up Premed health care online there is lots of information on there about all sorts of things including first aid kits. I would have to say that the things you need for the under fives probably differ quite a lot for the things you need for an adult but remember you are incharge of both. Your first aid kit has to be dual purpose to cover your first aid at work info too. The contents will also change with the quantity of people you have on the premises.

The way we run ours (actually we have 3!!) is that one person is in charge (my senior first aider....we are all first aid trained though). We have a booklet in the cabinet which has the guidance card in it (a list of all the items) once a half term we go through it together.....one calls out the items, the other one checks they are there and calls out the expiry date. we then sign and witness the book. She will then order anything we need that may be due to be out of date in the next 3 months. All out of date items are removed and destroyed (we were caught out once by ofsted on this!)

We also once a term check all the childrens medicine ...prime inhalers etc etc and their expiry dates are recorded on the calendar (the medicine not the children of course!! :oxD )

By the way we have 3 because we have a portable one for outings , a bum bag for the garden and a static one in the kitchen. we also have a lockable first aid cupboard for the inhalers etc etc.......can you tell i was a girl guide!!

It grieves me to throw away sealed but unused items though.

me too... luckily in our village we send them to our twinning village in Africa... they collect and send items once a year when they visit...so felt it was being used for a good purpose..

as fro checking the kit.. we did this 3 monthly check.. list inside and dates were checked.. items replaced..we had a St John Ambulance kit for 10 and added the items for children , removing the antiseptic wipes..

It grieves me to throw away sealed but unused items though.

We put them in the hospital/drs role play :1b :1b

(well not the eye wash etc :rolleyes: )

But I know what you mean it is frustrating - I mean if anyone needed real FA, you'd probably grab the fist thing to hand- not wait for someone to run off and find a sterile dressing!!!

I must admit we have a 'staff' first aid tin in the office and any out of date dressings/plasters (bizzare) go in there and we use them. I dont suppose we would tell OFSTED this but its a way of using up things. Bandages go in our medical set for the children.

We too have a forehead thermometer as we were told last first aid course it was up to us if we had one. We find it useful as if we are in any doubt with a child we can check. Parents always seem to believe you more if you say they 'have a temperature' rather than you think they may have when you want them collected for being under the weather!

Jassy although i empathise with the sentiment ..you are responsible for your staff and if you used a non sterile product and they got an infection you could be in trouble....i know that this is VERY remote but still there are some things we just have to accept come under our H+S unberella

Thanks for that Goldilocks......as i said earlier - a 'job' for tomorrow.......

:blink: I'm fairly sure that we don't have a 'Resuscitation faceshield' - am I alone in this?

Not a problem I'm sure we can get one! :1b

We don't have one either sunnyday.

• Like 1

When I renewed my certificate in September we were told to make sure that a kit conformed with BS8599 which is the latest legislation.

Suggested contents (based on advice from HSE, NCMA, PSLA and the Ambulance Service) are as follows. The list is not mandatory so equivalent or similar items can be used...

1 leaflet giving general guidance on first aid

1 protective face shield for providing CPR

20 individually wrapped sterile adhesive dressings of assorted size. Use only 'hypo-allergenic' plasters for children and blue coloured plasters for food handlers

2 sterile eye pads

2 triangular bandages, individually wrapped and preferably sterile

6 medium wound dressings (approx 12cm x 12cm) individually wrapped and sterile. These have bandages attached.

2 large wound dressings (approx 18cm x 18cm) as above

5 'low adherent' dressings approx 5cm x 5cm. These have a perforated plastic surface which reduces the likelihood of it sticking to the clotting blood.

5 'low adherent' dressings approx 10cm x 10cm, as above

1 roll of hypo-allergenic tape. Can be used to hold a dressing in place or fasten a bandage

6 pairs of disposable gloves

1 pair of scissors with rounded ends

10 'packs of 5' sterile gauze swabs, approx 5cm x 5cm, for cleaning a wound (don't use cotton wool because it can leave small particles in the wound)

1 finger bandage and applicator

If you have no clean tap water (eg on an outing or in the garden) 1 litre of sterile water (for cleaning wounds, washing eyes, or immediate treatment of burns)

DO NOT put antiseptic wipes into a kit intended for use on children. 'Moist wipes' that do not contain alcohol or antiseptic are acceptable.

The quantity of items is suggested as the minimum you should have in your kit t any one time, so you may need to increase this for the number of children in your care.

Nona

Edited by Guest

• 5 years later...

Hi, I'm new to post and have been given the task of updating our first aid kit! Any help gratefully received 😊

Does anyone have an up to date first aid kit list please for 2-5 year olds? Also what size kit is acceptable, I've seen small or medium ones being sold - how do I know what size I need is it worked out for now many children you have? 

Does everyone have eye wash stations?

I've looked at a couple of first aid kits online but they don't seem to include any sterile saline steripods, I thought these were a requirement? 

Many thanks 😀 

https://estore.eclipse.net.uk/epages/premedshop.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/premedshop/Categories/First_Aid_for_Schools

try here for some info. There are guidelines to what you should have in but they are guidelines not rules. There are however some things that are not recommended too!

You will need to take in to account the size of your group and also the availability of the kits if you have different rooms.