Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

permission

Hi Sue

I know exactly why you are asking this xD for those not 'in the know' it featured on an Early years bulletin from our LA and I quote......'.Do you meet the requirements in paragraph 3.68 of the EYFS - records may only be kept securely off the premises by prior agreement from Ofsted'.

So - short answer Sue - no I haven't sought permission from Ofsted......s'pose I should really add this to my never ending 'to do list' :blink:

What I do have in place though is my data protection 'stuff' - which covers my home address.......but not the same thing :blink: :1b

Anyway - have you contacted Ofsted?

• Like 1

When we had our inspection in September I told the inspector that we all take ours home to do (We're a packaway setting with other groups that come into the hall as we leave), I told her that was the only way we could keep them up to date and that all parents sign permission when they register with us and she was fine with it. She did ask how I make sure other people don't see them to ensure confidentiality and I said unless I am actually doing them then they are in my work bag which goes straight in a cupboard when I get home and she was fine with it :)

When we had our inspection in September I told the inspector that we all take ours home to do (We're a packaway setting with other groups that come into the hall as we leave), I told her that was the only way we could keep them up to date and that all parents sign permission when they register with us and she was fine with it. She did ask how I make sure other people don't see them to ensure confidentiality and I said unless I am actually doing them then they are in my work bag which goes straight in a cupboard when I get home and she was fine with it :)

Thanks mrsbat - all quite interesting isn't it........I consider the Learning Journey folders to be 'the property of' parents anyway........

Will follow this thread with interest! :1b

We haven't asked parents permission or ofsted! Our parents know that I (the manager) take them home when not working as other can get access to our store cupboard and have used our other stuff so wouldn't feel safe leaving children's info in there

We haven't asked permission from Ofsted or parents either to take information home - its's just something that has happened at the Nursery (packaway & church hall) as long as I can remember. I am not sure how we could continue if we didn't - open 9-3 with limited access outside those times. My EYA advised paying everyone 2 hours an extra per week non contact time to complete all paperwork at Nursery. I laughed as I presumed she was joking - it turned out she wasn't! :ph34r: :ph34r:

Just asked our manager, she read it to mean child records not learning journeys or anything of that nature. I havent ever asked for permission for anything though so I suppose it wouldnt hurt to give them a call!

Just asked our manager, she read it to mean child records not learning journeys or anything of that nature. I havent ever asked for permission for anything though so I suppose it wouldnt hurt to give them a call!

Rea - I think your manager is probably right about that.......I have already rung the big O once this week (long story) - the young man that I spoke to couldn't have been more helpful........but, honestly.....don't feel like ringing about anything else just now - so be a star - if you ring them please let us know the answer :1b

ooh, i will await a definitive reply to this one...I did get the impression that they were referring to records kept permanently off the premises (eg perhaps an employment file) rather than say child records that may be taken out at the ned of a session and returned for the start of the next day....but I might be wrong!

Edited by eyfs1966

I may be nit picking here but it says 'kept securely off the premises' not taken.

Surely this means records (and I take this to mean any records not just reg docs or such like)

being kept off the premises as in stored somewhere else?

The manager of a group close to us keeps all their records stored in a locked filing cabinet in her dining room.

She has done this for the last 20 odd years as they have nowhere to keep a secured filing cabinet in her premises.

As she says it was ok 20/30 years ago as a locked portable filing case sufficed but now with so much paperwork on not just children but staff that has to be kept for so long they have no choice.

• Like 1

Oh please, please let it not be the learning journeys! However, if it is, perhaps we could just ring up EVERY time we take them home then perhaps Ofsted will actually get the idea how unworkable it is for some groups not to take them home, obviously we could get cover permission from parents, but I like to be awkward sometimes.

• Like 4

just as i thought, i take it too be info and that stays in my locked tardis cupboard,

LJ only have first name on them not dob or surname again like everyone else they have to go home to be worked on,

but my lap top has some info, although not address's only name and dob's

not sure if i will phone O , may do so will let you know if i find out,

Is this paragraph new to the requirements or was it there before and i just didnt notice??

Edited by Suer

Well I do seem to remember something about not taking records home before, because Ofsted said they should be accessible to parents and them at any time, I think we just ignored it to do with learning journeys anyway. There were plenty of posts on here with groups stating that staff were not allowed to take learning journeys home to work on them, it all had to be done at the setting.

just as i thought, i take it too be info and that stays in my locked tardis cupboard,

LJ only have first name on them not dob or surname again like everyone else they have to go home to be worked on,

but my lap top has some info, although not address's only name and dob's

not sure if i will phone O , may do so will let you know if i find out,

Is this paragraph new to the requirements or was it there before and i just didnt notice??

Blimey, now you're asking! Hopefully its new :|