Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Crisis. Advice please

Hello, last night I had an email from my estate agent. We live in a rented property and it appears that a few neighbours have complained to the landlord about cars arriving between 7.30 and 8am. While I have permission to childmind from the property the complaints have led the landlord to read the deeds to the property, which state a business must not be ran from the house. This has led to her saying that I either stop childminding and remain in the house or we have to move out. I really don't want to stop childminding as I have built a successful business over the last year and couldn't bear to let the families down and I love the house we live in. My question is what should I do? Has anyone else encountered this problem. My gut feeling is that we are obviously unwelcome by the neighbours now and should move out but is this going to be a problem that we will encounter with another house or landlord. I am extremely distressed about this situation so any advice would be most welcome. Kind regards Jenny

• Like 1

Oh dear. I dont have any advice but didnt want to read and run. It sounds like a really nasty situation and I can only begin to imagine how distressed you must be.

I cant imagine complaining about that sort of thing.

ask landlord if you can continue but parents will park in another road or further up when dropping child off? it's an awful situation to be in and people are very precious about their perceived parking space in a public road!! are parents very noisy at drop off time, waking them maybe? if not a suggest you move and hope new neighbours are more understanding.........x

Hi Jenny, what an awful situation to be in. Im a child minder too and have been lucky enough not to have any problems with the neighbours about it.

Do you have a lot of children arriving at this time? Im sure that it is not unreasonable for cars to arrive at this time - not like its the middle of the night. Also would your parents be willing to leave there cars round the corner/further up the road?

Have you tried speaking to your neighbours about their concerns?

It might be also worth speaking to your local council or childminding advisor as Im not sure if childminding, although a business, is actually classed as such in this instance.

I really hope you can get this sorted.

Best wishes

Terribly distressing for you. Surely this should be overcome with a quiet word to the parents dropping off? I'd be thoroughly annoyed with your neighbours if they went straight to the landlord without asking you first. Childminding does not generally 'count' as 'business' in the usual sense. It's Childcare on Domestic Premise - DOMESTIC!!!! This is a job for your MP. Who do you buy your insurance from? NCMA? They have Lawcall especially for these kinds of situations. Rest easy - all will be well.

Best of luck - and virtual hugs.

Honey

• Like 1

I think the best advice has already been given and I can only agree with them about contacting your advisor etc. I'm pretty sure its not classed as a business in that sense too. Hope you get it sorted and you have good support from your parents.

3some.gif sending hugs

Thanks again ladies. I did raise the car issue with the parents around 6 weeks ago when the issue first came up and they were all very understanding. Getting them to park on a different road could be a short term solution. But yes i do have 4 families arriving at that time on 2 or 3 days. Our landlady is actually a very nice lady who I know feels terrible about this situation, but is understandably concerned that legal action will be taken against her. I was very upset when the initial complaint had been made directly to my landlord with out him coming to speak to me first. I am absolutely furious now. I haven't worked today as I didn't sleep a wink last night and my daughter was up a lot in the night too. I haven't said anything to the parents about the current issue as a) I don't want to worry them unnecessarily and B) cannot talk about it without crying. I have contacted my NCMA advisor and am awaiting a reply. I will call the NCMA law line tmw and see what they say. Approaching my MP is also a good idea. However I have the distinct feeling of being unwelcome by my neighbours and I'm not sure I want to be here anymore. I'm in a complete tizzy. I haven't replied to the email from the estate agent (who is also a lovely person) although my partner has tried to call her today...no reply. I'm sure she is dreading this as much as I am. Must go as I can't see for tears :-(

Oh neighbours eh? I dont have that problem because I stopped talking to ours years ago when the threat of the police coming hung over my children whenever they set foot out the door.

I really hope someone can help you to find a solution, some people forget they were young once, with lives!

• Like 1

Surely the issue is the lease not the parking? If your lease says a business can't be run from the house then isn't that what needs to be addressed? Would your landlady consider changing or re-wording the lease so that you can continue? Would a visit to a solicitor be helpful? If you were able to continue legally, then perhaps the issue with the neighbours could be sorted out. Sorry I can't be more helpful but I really hope you find a way to continue and to live in your home!

I really have no advice to offer but wanted to send my warmest wishes and I hope you manage to resolve your issue. My fingers are crossed for you xxx

What a nightmare situation - no wonder you're so upset. Anyone would be in your situation and I hope you find a solution quickly.

The problem seems to me to be that now your landlord knows you are running a business from home he is aware that you are breaching the terms of your tenancy agreement. I think this is a pretty standard clause in most tenancy agreements, but it is worth reading the fine print of yours to check. He may be making an assumption without checking first.

It is such a pity that the neighbours are complaining about the traffic situation, especially since you have addressed this directly with them. There is nothing quite so irritating and potentially challenging as issues over parking. I really feel for you. :(

Do you have good links with the Local Authority? Perhaps they can offer you some kind of support.

Good luck - I really hope you can find a way through this. xx

Morning all! Feeling much better today after a reasonable amount of sleep and a plan in the making :-) the reality of the situation is that we have outgrown our current home and while we love the house very much i love my work much more. I have arranged a few viewings of larger properties, looking at houses near the local schools as a) the neighbours will be more acclimatised to the normal noise of children (having 2 playgrounds nearby) and B) used to more school run traffic. Hopefully it won't take too long to find a suitable house with a reasonable landlord and the extra rent will have to come out of the business! A larger property means I will be able to expand the business and have room to move! In the mean time a phone call will be made to the estate agent to say we are happy to do whatever it takes to placate the neighbours, such as parents parking further away and walking the children. We will express our concern that 2 months may not be a reasonable amount of time to find alternative accommodation and that we would like to be able to stay to the end of our tenancy agreement (end of march rather than moving at the beginning of jan) but we will be actively looking for somewhere else to live and if the opportunity comes sooner than the end of tenancy agreement we will take it. Gladly as we don't feel very welcome here anymore! It is annoying that we have had our hand forced with this issue but never mind. Everything will work out in the long run :-)

Thank you all x

• Like 4

The plot thickens...we have spoken to the estate agent and apparently it wasn't just one or two neighbours that complained but lots of them. So nice to be ganged up on isn't it? Village life eh? My other half has made it clear that he thinks its a load of rubbish about the deeds of the house and that we do not intend to leave before our tenancy agreement ends (although we will secretly be looking elsewhere for the great escape). That would give us until the end of march rather than just after new year. So we are trying to buy ourselves some time. In the mean time we will be writing a letter this weekend explaining to the neighboursthat parent will now park away from the house and walk and just what sort of service I provide: one that helps a single parent dad of 2 to work and support his family, a family that have a baby with Down's syndrome, and provide respite care for 3 other families-a child with severe Autism and a child with complex medical and physical needs (brain damage at birth) and 3 children with visual impairments. I hope they hang there stupid heads in shame. Feel like signing it "your furious at number 3". What disgusting people. Ho hum, I feel better now I have that off my chest and plan on relaxing this weekend. Wish you all well and thanks for the support x

Anger can make us feel much better cant it? Just be careful of the letter, I always stick to something I was told when I was training 'never put in writing something you wouldnt want a parent to read'. I use that advice for all sorts of things.

Hope the house hunt goes well :1b :1b

• Like 1

Interferring meighbours are the scourge of the earth, you are earning an honest living and in doing so are enabling other families to do the same. Providing home from home experiences for vulnerable children anyone would think you were running a brothel or dealing in drugs with the attitude they show. I hope your letter makes them feel thoroughly ashamed.

• Like 2

That's the spirit pimm's o'clock! Obviously I will remain polite, pleasant, reasonable and approachable as I always have done. God only knows why the neighbours haven't approached me in person, I am always out and about and smiling! Fools. A case of Not In My Back Yard (NIMBY) I think.

• Like 1

Morning all! Feeling much better today after a reasonable amount of sleep and a plan in the making :-) the reality of the situation is that we have outgrown our current home and while we love the house very much i love my work much more. I have arranged a few viewings of larger properties, looking at houses near the local schools as a) the neighbours will be more acclimatised to the normal noise of children (having 2 playgrounds nearby) and B) used to more school run traffic. Hopefully it won't take too long to find a suitable house with a reasonable landlord and the extra rent will have to come out of the business! A larger property means I will be able to expand the business and have room to move! In the mean time a phone call will be made to the estate agent to say we are happy to do whatever it takes to placate the neighbours, such as parents parking further away and walking the children. We will express our concern that 2 months may not be a reasonable amount of time to find alternative accommodation and that we would like to be able to stay to the end of our tenancy agreement (end of march rather than moving at the beginning of jan) but we will be actively looking for somewhere else to live and if the opportunity comes sooner than the end of tenancy agreement we will take it. Gladly as we don't feel very welcome here anymore! It is annoying that we have had our hand forced with this issue but never mind. Everything will work out in the long run :-)

Thank you all x

Sometimes a problem is just an opportunity in disguise :D

Hold your head high, be proud of the job you do and the support you provide for your families and hope the next tenants for your house are the neighbours from hell - after all, what goes around comes around !

Nona

oh my goodness...what a lovely bunch of neighbours !! 3 or 4 cars, 2 or 3 times a week !! thats hardly 'hectic'....many familes have that many cars per household...and im sure they wouldnt dream of making a complaint about that.

Is the lease still an issue tho ?

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update.

After lots of false starts this morning we finally signed a new contract for a new house :-)

It's a four bed detached which will be great as myself and my partner can have an office of our own and there will be much more space for the kids to play. The landlord is happy for me to childmind and its very close to the schools and pre schools so an all round win for us. Eventually. hooray. TaN you al floor your kind words and support. Wishing you all a very merry Christmas xxx

• Like 6

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)