Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor use in this weather

Using the outdoor area can be a bit more challenging now that it is cold and the unexpected rain and mud ruins resources you don't have time to put away. Some of our staff are extremely reluctant to go outside, even though everyone should be going out at some point during the week and I can only assume this is because it's cold now. We've tried rotas, timings etc but they just don't go outside. We've offered to buy waterproofs for everyone but they say they have their own (but haven't brought them in), We have a fantastic outdoor space which we are really lucky to have and I do understand about the conditions now it isn't summer..

Does anyone have any inspiration for playing outdoors, getting staff outside and making the most of the garden during the colder months?

Buy some waterproofs from a charity shop, jumble sale, car boot. Keep them hanging up in plain sight. The choice is their own or the ones they dont want to wear.

I have to say though, our staff seem to see outdoors as somewhere to go when the sun shines, but not too brightly. I am thinking of a plan and downloading the wonderful things Inge puts on facebook and in the Resource library.

• Like 1

Buy some waterproofs from a charity shop, jumble sale, car boot. Keep them hanging up in plain sight. The choice is their own or the ones they dont want to wear.

I have to say though, our staff seem to see outdoors as somewhere to go when the sun shines, but not too brightly. I am thinking of a plan and downloading the wonderful things Inge puts on facebook and in the Resource library.

could you let me know what these things are please many thanks xx

Don't give them choice!!

Where I am we work 1:13 so during freeflow it's one out, one in like a 'tag team'!! ;) We split it fairly equally and sometimes use a timer to remind us to swap over, and have both bought thermals, wellies and waterproofs. A previous emebr of staff used to 'do' the 20 min of outdoor play that they did years before and always at the same time and could not be moved. :angry: I have to say that these days I feel that it's a necessity of EYFS and if you don't like it you need to work somewhere 'cosier'!!! :rolleyes:

We have no shelter etc. in our garden, totally open to the elements, however, children are bursting to go out and so we go! We might not always have the door open for free in and out as we would in the summer though. Today, for instance, none of the children mentioned going outside until 11 o'clock, so that's when we went out and they came in at 12.30.

A suggestion could be, that everyone goes out - all adults and children for a selected amount of time, almost, come what may, then nobody can so no.

If anyone finds the magic wand to get staff out please can I borrow it? My TAs talk the talk very well but always seem to find something that needs doing if the children have had more than 20 mins outside. I've been through it all before in my preschool and did eventually get there but that required a change of staff and therefore attitudes.

I know this feeling.... we invested in loads of 'muddy puddles' waterproof gear for the kids but the staff still used every excuse in the book for not going out... We have made it compulsory now that all groups have to get out every day for a short period of time except in 'heavy' rain - no excuses!

I learnt today that children in a scandanavian country(forget which one) go outside unless it is below -12 degrees.....

In my last nursery class I had 39 children so 3 adults. Each adult was responsible for a learning zone for a week, so 1 person took the lead outside for morning and afternoon sessions. We felt this was how we could best support learning and continuity. Otherwise the small nuances of children's activities were missed as short rota times lead to supervision rather than engagement in learning. Outside was available continuously for around 2 hours a session.I expected everyone to be actively engaged with the children. If you didn't get stuck in with the children and engage in active outdoor learning you would get cold!!

Cx

Edited by catma

never easy is it, funny how the first ones offering to be outside on a nice day are the ones that find something far more important to do inside now its getting colder...and i always think they're thinking 'it's all right for you sat in office', but they seem to forget when they're outside on nice days I'm still in the office suffering from a severe lack on vitamin D lol

• Like 1

My staff are rotated around the areas each week - including outside - they know which days they are out- no excuses, and it's their responsibility to ensure they bring coats/wellies , whatever it takes to be fit for outside - if they 'forget' we always have spares. No excuses accepted and they just do it now, some with more grace than others but they all know it's part of the job. :1b

Guest ShelleyT

Don't give them a choice! If the children want to go outside then an adult must go too, that's how it works! I know my TA doesn't like being cold but she would never stay in if I asked her to go outside. She just comes prepared. I go out too, on my days and do it with a smile on my face to set a good example! And I always say thank you to the person out there, to let them know it's appreciated. It's the simple things that make people want to do a job. As a wise person once said, it's not the weather that's bad, it's the clothes that you choose to wear. x

Guest pamgreen

our staff are amazing they rotate around the areas of the nursery every two weeks so yes guys one person is now outside for two weeks, no complaints no moaning just happy enthusiastic staff and children, we are so lucky

I read all these replys with intest.

I know exactly the feeling when someone is reluctant to go outside and in all starts now as the weather turns colder

That said my staff are really good

we divide the time outside by the staff in on a particular day.

ie we are going to be outside for 2 hours this morning our of our 2.5 session.

4 staff means half an hour each.

Simple we all need to take our turn and anyone reluctant means that someone else will have to stay out longer.

On the whole this has worked really well, we have a tight knit team and usually they are very keen to make sure things are fair.

Also i have really tried to make them more involved, taking part in an activity makes you warmer than just standing supervising,. Something that still happens occasionally but would never happen indoors.

Have a good outdoor day everyone

glen

• Like 1

We did all out or all in and it is easier than being outside in the cold looking in at someone else in the warm :o

What I don't understand is most children really like being outside playing especially the boys and so the group are often much more manageable and better behaved because they have more space and freedom....I always liked being outside with ours.

• Like 2

We have open door so out all day if the children want to be. My staff are really good at swapping aorund after 15 minutes or so, that way everyone gets time out and in and they can move around as their key children do

3.57 The provider must ensure that, so far as is reasonable, the facilities, equipment and access to the premises are suitable for children with disabilities. Providers must provide access to an outdoor play area or, if that is not possible, ensure that outdoor activities are planned and taken on a daily basis (unless circumstances make this inappropriate, for example unsafe weather conditions).

Cx

we are free flow all weathers on a rota and other than all what hase been said about eyfs, etc etc

YOU are in charge, out they go. having said that you also i feel lead by example, are you on the rota? have you gone out? often by leading and modelling it shows others the way

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)