Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Committee Members

radish

Our Early Years Advisor suggested a cheese and wine evening for all the parents to attend...........i did wonder though if it was so we could get them drunk and make them sign up for a committee role for the next few years :D .

On a serious note though, it is hard work getting (never mind keeping) committee members. earlier this year we went through 3 chairpersons within a week !

We could not even get any interest for an AGM so this time we were a bit sneaky ^_^ .....we advertised it so it would happen at the end of sports day (which most parents like to attend) but when the parents arrived we quickly changed the running order and did the AGM before sports day.....Result ! Best attended AGM ever and we gained 3 more committee members as a result ! :D

We currently have a really good, strong committee.

Finally, it seems like Im not the only one with these issues!! We have an AGM coming up, cant wait to actually see what parents bother to turn up!! They dont seem to understand without a committee we cant have a pre-school. As a mananger Im fed up with doing committee role jobs! Please tell me im not the only one....

Finally, it seems like Im not the only one with these issues!! We have an AGM coming up, cant wait to actually see what parents bother to turn up!! They dont seem to understand without a committee we cant have a pre-school. As a mananger Im fed up with doing committee role jobs! Please tell me im not the only one....

Definitely not the only one jennac

My AGM is in 2 weeks time I'm trying to remain positive, however past experience hasn't been good.

As most children go to a school nursery for us now, it's no use us having an AGM at sports day as everyone leaves

If you're not in ratio, how about holding a coffee morning for parents and turn that into an AGM?

Luckily I had 2 parents who had children leave us in July for school nursery, but they have had younger siblings start this September, so they have agreed to come on ours so I have a chair and secretary due to lots of problems last year the Treasurer role is done by myself now so that's not a problem, everything else will have to be done by myself or other staff...not ideal but keeps us open at the moment!

Bot the only one!

I got committee members two years ago when the Charity commission found out we didnt have any and that staff were on it. They used the words 'unauthorised, desolve, closure and unlawful' from what I remember so I had to put posters up telling the families we would close if no-one came forward. It worked but I'm not sure how many times they'll go for it.

I have the same problem again this year, its beyond a joke and I feel all washed out with the very idea of more arm twisting.

Bot the only one!

I got committee members two years ago when the Charity commission found out we didnt have any and that staff were on it. They used the words 'unauthorised, desolve, closure and unlawful' from what I remember so I had to put posters up telling the families we would close if no-one came forward. It worked but I'm not sure how many times they'll go for it.

I have the same problem again this year, its beyond a joke and I feel all washed out with the very idea of more arm twisting.

and when you managed to get the volunteers did they do anything??

just as a matter of interest how did the Charity Commission find out? :ph34r:

• Like 1

Know how you feel Rea.....I strongly feel that it's time the committee/early years structure is changed, I realise that it's quite daunting for them to take on the role of 'employer' and all that comes with that responsibility, long gone are the days when it was mostly about jumble sales and coffee mornings, it's so much more a business now with some large turn overs of money, which people with no finance experience are supposed to take on, and if it wasn't for the managers doing their roles for them many settings would have closed down years ago or be in a right mess, but as managers we have to clear everything with them and can't really just do our jobs properly....and how fair is it for anyone to have a new employer each year that expects something from you that is totally different to what the last committee wanted/expected from you and doesn't give a damn that you 've done god knows how many years employment with the setting....ok rant over..I think !

• Like 1

Always had this issue as long as I can remember, even though I did most of the work as manager. When I did get a good committee with really good members who actually knew their stuff (one was part of setting up sure start in the area) my then chair caused so much friction they all left! .. so glad to be out of it now..

we held it during session time.. so children were all able to be looked after and no need to come out at night or evening.. so no baby sitters etc needed.. (a lot were single parents)

advertised well and had someone on the door that day to keep them in! yes did resort to this... just to get enough attending, never mind being on the committee .

Poster and letters with the facts... that if we did not get the numbers attending or a committee we would not be open the following day,as it would be illegal. some asked is that really true..so used to reply that if they didn't come to the meeting there would be no point in turning up the following day.. as I would not be there but job hunting. worked most times... if not enough at the first meeting we would hole another within the stipulated time (cannot remember think it was 2 weeks later) and have a closure notice with it...that always worked.. brutal but if they did not listen the only way.

I do feel that this type of set up is really inappropriate these days, No none can expect a parent with no experience or often in our case poor literacy and other skills to be able to take on these roles. We had added problem of many of the parents coming from other countries... and the CRB was so complicated to get for any of these parents who wanted to help.. one parent came to me saying they wanted her to get a letter from her country embassy to say she was suitable and had no police history in the country of origin... this happened a few times... so by the time it was sorted they would have left... no point really...but it is the changing over and all the issues it can cause that will put so many off... in time these settings will end up closing or having to change..

it is unfortunate that the employees are the ones who take all the burden and have to sort the issues instead of doing the job employed for.

I'Ve believed for many years that the system simply does not work!!! Although we currently have a fairly strong board it all still falls to me as manager to do apart from writing the annual report!!!! Therefore I fail to see the point of their exsistance really. They do make tea and cakes at functions and the odd fundraiser but don't take on any of the employment stuff or more formal roles at all.................out of interest what are the alternatives???

and when you managed to get the volunteers did they do anything??

just as a matter of interest how did the Charity Commission find out? :ph34r:

Most the volunteers dont do anything really, partly my fault for not delegating, but when you know they wont be there for long, I get a bit tired of explaining how things are done.

The CC found out when I made a phone call about something I cant even remember what now, and mentioned a member of staff was doing the treasurer role. Icky do hit the fan! We were ok after I'd answered all their questions, filled in a form and then realised we'd adopted the PLA constitution that allowed staff on the committee, although the previous chair hadnt told the CC that.

Now I tend to keep things under my hat. At present there's me as chair, a secretary but her child just started school, a staff member who does the invoices, banks the money and arranges the paperwork for the accountant. We also have a committee member who administers the waiting list and another member of staff who is a counter signatory on the cheques with me. I think we've got other members but for one reason or another they dont actually come to meetings or playgroup anymore. They are my ace should the CC ever want to know how many committee we've got, and I'm not above doctoring the minutes to say who was present at a meeting.

If we had to close there isnt anything within a 3 mile radius that offers the same as we do so I have to keep open.

• Like 1

We tag our AGM onto a parent's evening - seems to have worked for the past couple of years - also the chair standing up saying 'unless someone steps up to take on the positions the setting will not be open in the morning' - that's also quite effective!!

It is a problem which is one of the reasons I am looking at changing from committee led to Ltd Co. With the greatest respect the committee don't actually do anything other than come to a meeting 4 times a year and agree with my decisions. I do all the admin tasks etc and although it is nice to have the support of the committee each year we face the same uncertainty of will we find volunteers. With so many settings in the same position you would think the PLSA etc would make it easier to change.

Hi Everyone

I normally target people directly. They than have to try and say no! I think they also feel flattered that they have been asked.

Rea - Under the PLA constitution - staff shouldn't be the named roles! I can't remember it all but you need at least 5 members.

Having said that we only have 3 as 2 left last term over a staff dispute. (I didn't remind them that they couldn't resign unless they got a replacement or died!)

Hi Everyone

I normally target people directly. They than have to try and say no! I think they also feel flattered that they have been asked.

Rea - Under the PLA constitution - staff shouldn't be the named roles! I can't remember it all but you need at least 5 members.

Having said that we only have 3 as 2 left last term over a staff dispute. (I didn't remind them that they couldn't resign unless they got a replacement or died!)

I know they shouldnt have named roles, but no-one else will do it, so I'm stuck, and so is she, much to her continued annoyance. Luckily she's a really good friend.

We tag our AGM onto a parent's evening - seems to have worked for the past couple of years - also the chair standing up saying 'unless someone steps up to take on the positions the setting will not be open in the morning' - that's also quite effective!!

It is a problem which is one of the reasons I am looking at changing from committee led to Ltd Co. With the greatest respect the committee don't actually do anything other than come to a meeting 4 times a year and agree with my decisions. I do all the admin tasks etc and although it is nice to have the support of the committee each year we face the same uncertainty of will we find volunteers. With so many settings in the same position you would think the PLSA etc would make it easier to change.

It's nothing to do with the PSLA- you can be a committee group and not belong to them. if you have their constitution then yes, you have to abide by it- but you dont have to have it or if you do- then change it. Mind you, you then need to get enough members together to do this......................

I have a full committee usually do, like others it is becoming harder and harder and often takes threats of closure. However despite a full committee all they do really is turn up to committee meetings and talk about fundraising! I do everything else, in fact 20 years ago I was Secretary of this very same committee and a lot of the stuff i did then I am doing now. I'm not too sure what the answer is,I would be more than happy to take over 'officially' but am not prepared to start from scratch and put loads of money into it.

For anyone that has moved form a committee to LTD or Community company- did you have to make the staff redundant , then re employ?

I have previously asked if anyone was willing to share their non PLSA constitution - as we want to come out of the PLSA but I am not sure how to change the constitution. A starting point is always a real help, no joy so far.

Lynned55 my understanding re staff - I am currently in the process of trying to buy our setting( - just putting propsal to parents - that is after we change our constituion!!) is that staff can be transferred by TUPE (Transfer of Undertakings) - they do not need to be made redundant but the new employee must maintain their previous terms and conditions of employment. Happy to be corrected if I have this wrong.

Thank you- yes that makes sense doesn't it and makes the whole thing a lot more viable now. I was wondering about becoming a LTD co. with charitable status, that someone on here had mentioned- however I couldn't see a way around the staff redundancies (6 staff all but one have worked for over 12 years & that doesn't include me!!) Stupid me, my daughter works in HR & specializes in employment law- I may have a word with her and see if she knows anymore. Didn't think to ask before- about the redundancy I mean

I'll dig out a copy of our constitution and put it up here for you. It's not very different just our admissions (we are an RC group) and we changed the bit about where our assets go. As well as mentioning the PSLA it also says OR a similar charity etc etc. To me that is the key issue- we (well committee) could choose to hand whatever there was to another preschool instead of PSLA.

constitution for FSF.doc

Edited by lynned55

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)