Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted Inspections

Fredbear

Hi just out of interest has anyone ever refused an Inspection. Okay so I will explain my question. We were inspected in October 2012, with an expectation not to see them again for 3/4 years from our outcome. As we had to re-register due to us becoming an Incorporated Company with Charitable Status. I was advised as the Committee now Trustees, staffing, premises had not changed another Inspection was unnecessary. Guess what they arrived today to inspect us again. Although in principle I am not against having it done again, just feel peeved to have to go through the draining process so soon after the other one. Sorry rant over.:(

I think this is quite typical if you are seen as a new registration.. we had a few settings this happened to..they changed the registered body but nothing else and still had to go through another inspection very soon after their previous one.

When you search OFSTED for your setting, does it come with your 'old' history or just make reference to when your new reg took place?

And did you mean October 2011, because unless I'm mistaken, we haven't reached October 2012 yet!

Poor you, we were done in 2009 and are desperate for them to come and do us again and get it over with!!! The school was done in the summer term and we went onto high alert but they never arrived. Glad yours went ok, but I would say its just the luck of the draw with Ofsted!!!

It is indeed the luck of the draw! When the new inspection cycle began at the beginning of this month, every setting was put back in the pot, so to speak, and randomly selected for inspection for this next cycle. :1b I think you'd be on very dodgy ground to ever refuse one! Inspectors have greater rights to enter settings than the police.

It is indeed the luck of the draw! When the new inspection cycle began at the beginning of this month, every setting was put back in the pot, so to speak, and randomly selected for inspection for this next cycle.

Oh really - gosh I didn't realise that :o so no more thinking well we have at three years before our next inspection..........

Oh dear you poor things :( - did it all go well though?

Someone........think it might have been 'Pimms' - was inspected twice in very short amount of time (big apologies to Pimms if I've got that wrong :blink: )

It was me, you're right, 22nd January 2010 and again on 31st January 2011. The inspector said she queried it when it came up on the job list in response to my greeting her with "you're joking, this is a wind up" when I opened the door to her. ;) :1b

Edited by Pimms o'clock?
  • Like 1

Now that did make me chuckle. Well our inspector knocked at the main building doors, not the door we use for entrance or exit for pre-school. The funny thing was the only person that knocks on that door is Father Christmas when he pays us a visit. Didn't hear the staff go ho ho ho though, more like boo hoo hoo.:)

• Like 1

Was told this week that QIA visits for the next round have been changed to reflect settings expecting ofsted soonest having theirs first...did strike me as a pointless excercise if theres no consistency to the order in which ofsted visit...I did ask if thy knew more than they let on but was assured no !

Guest sn0wdr0p

mmmm funny isn't it how different authorities tell us different things. I was told at inspection training two weeks ago that we were all back in the pot together!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there, we've just had our Children's Centre Ofsted just over 4 years on from our previous Early bird care one so it's likely that they are prioritising those that have waited the longest. They've probably thrown a few others into the mix randomly just to keep everyone on their toes.

It is indeed the luck of the draw! When the new inspection cycle began at the beginning of this month, every setting was put back in the pot, so to speak, and randomly selected for inspection for this next cycle. :1b I think you'd be on very dodgy ground to ever refuse one! Inspectors have greater rights to enter settings than the police.

This worries me in that some settings could not get drawn out of the pot....has every setting been inspected since EYFS 2008 was introduced?

Nona

Thanks Helen, that's somewhat of a relief :mellow:

I know I was one of many in my LA who were never inspected under Birth to Three (as I was inspected just before it was introduced and gained the highest grading at that time I was told it would be 3 years before Ofsted would come again and it was in fact 1 day under 4 years!)

It troubled me that some settings would be falling through the cracks if the selection process really was so random :blink:

You've put my mind at rest!

Nona