Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Today Is The Last...

ForestFlo

I feel quite sad today - it is the last day of our indoor provision after 40 years and after today 1 member of staff will be made redundant.

I have spent the last 4weeks sorting out our stuff to sell which has been quite upsetting - so many memories. We have had so little support from the village hall committee we have been told to get our stuff out of our shed by the end of the summer hols which gives us 6 weeks to get rid of everything . Feel very sad about thelack of support we have had from the commnity in general - parish council, church council, hall commitee!

Its great that our FS will continue but I still feel so sad for the loss of our preschool, I went there, my children went there and now it is gone I feel lost and dissolusioned with the community I have grown up in.

Not much point in my thread -time to pull myself together and get on with my day!

Kx

I'm rreally sorry to hear you haven't had support. We too have just closed after 45 years and although we had to close due to very low numbers the support we have had from everyone in the last few weeks has been so fantastic. It has really helped us through this difficult time. Hugs to you.

Under such circumstances I hate to hear of a pre-school closing its doors for the last time, so very sad when you think of all the children it has helped over the years and as your family connection has been so strong. Chin up - huge glasses of wine every now and then or any other vice you may have........ personally mine's a gin and tonic, may help during the next few weeks.

Hi Kirsty your forum friends know how hard you have tried to keep your pre-school going, but alas like others you have had to make the sad decision to close. May your Forest School flourish now and go from strength to strength. :) Sometimes the wider community don't realise what their loosing until it's too late. Virtual hugs Fx

I just wanted to add how sorry I was to read your post and how sad it made me feel. I wish you lots of luck with the forest school and am sure it will continue to grow and flourish(excuse the pun) The community will realise I hope just what they have lost. Chin up and try and think that everything happens for a reason!!

So sorry you've had to close kirsty, I absolutely dread the thought of ours closing but its something that comes up everytime we look at finances, numbers, committee members (or lack of) and up and coming regulations.

Its a shame your community couldnt be more helpful but this could be a great opportunity to try something new. :1b

I can only guess how you feel, but it's something I feel is coming to me and our pre-school in the not too-far distant future. We've had to adopt the 2008 PLA constitution to allow staff on the committee, and 2 out of the minimum 5 last year were me and my deputy, neither of us want to be on it but the alternative is closure. Only 1 new parent came to last month's AGM so we've all had to stay on or close. My friend started our pre-school 36 years ago, it is the only one covering the local villages and we just got a GOOD from Ofsted in May, but without parental support I can see it closing. It's taken over my life the past 14 years and I would be bereft if it closed on my watch.

Good luck with your Forest School, though.

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I have been bursting into tears all day as have the staff. I feel very responsible as this happened on "my watch" but we truly did throw everything at it. THe hardest part was saying thank you and goodbye to the member of staff who is being made redundant - she felt she couldnt make the transition to Forest School which was such a tough decision for her.

So now whats next ... well re-registering our Forest School with Ofsted apparently so plenty of hoops to jump to keep me distracted. I really hope that the government realise what they are doing to our community preschools in the future, our preschool has written so many letters to our MP about the marginalisation Preschools.

This week I have to start the massive task of selling our entire stock of Pre-school stuff - how can a small pack away preschool have so much?!? Not a task Im looking forward to although mildy preferable to the hoops of Ofsted.

Take care

K

Guest pamgreen

It is so sad, thinking of all your hardwork. However think of all those children that have had a wonderful time with you. Forest school will be wonderful.

This week I have to start the massive task of selling our entire stock of Pre-school stuff - how can a small pack away preschool have so much?!?

I was asking myself the very same question! Sorting the cupboards brought tears all by itself, and then the filing cabinet some more :( I can't quite believe how much stuff we had and how much paperwork we have kept. In some ways though it has been cathartic. Just watch out for the vultures descending though. We had some people literally rubbing their hands in glee at getting "bargains", others though were full of kind words and sympathetic to our situation which made it easier.

I was in your postition a few years back, and It took time for it to really sink in, so my thoughts are with you both.

It was an awfu timel :( In my/our case (it was a privately owned place) I was asked if I wanted any of the resources- I had one or two small pieces just as a reminder .............. found out later that everything else went into a skip!!! :mellow: :mellow: and all the other local settings were skip-dipping!

xx

We are giving first dibs to our local primary school who have been so fantastic - its nice to think our children will continue to benefit from our resources as they move on to big school. The next is our local nursery - who although we were in direct competition with will care for many of our childen next year and so again we would like our children to continue to benefit from our resources. Then its open to other nurseries/preschools in the area.

Louby Loo I cant believe they skipped it - thats heart breaking. Any of the resources weve brought in the last 5 years I can name exactly how/who raised the funds - I feel it is my duty to ensure they are given good homes. Ahh the guilt!

Today the reception teacher came to our setting and has chosen loads of resources to take to enhance the Reception classroom. We are all so pleased - it feels right that a lot of our bigger equi[ment is being kept within the community and continued to be used by those children who are leaving for big school this year.

I was asking myself the very same question! Sorting the cupboards brought tears all by itself, and then the filing cabinet some more :( I can't quite believe how much stuff we had and how much paperwork we have kept. In some ways though it has been cathartic. Just watch out for the vultures descending though. We had some people literally rubbing their hands in glee at getting "bargains", others though were full of kind words and sympathetic to our situation which made it easier.

Just wanted to say holly35 I know exactly what you mean - take care xxx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)