Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Characteristics Of Learning -How To Do Document ?

pg 7 of the Evaluation Schedule for inspectors says they should look for 'evidence of planning for children's next stages of learning based on staff assessment and a secure knowledge of the characterisics of learning and children's development'

we have plenty evidence for this, and got otstanding to prove we do is good, what i am saying is that it doesnt say that CoL have to be shown on yr ob sheet and no mention was made at our training, but thanks for the info

Guest lucyevans

I agree with you Sue, in that we could be making unnecessary work for ourselves. Unfortunately until Ofsted start inspecting under the new EYFS I don't think that anyone, including those providing training, knows exactly what is expected. We will have to wait to see whether there are Actions relating to CofL on the new reports, and/or what is being highlighted as good practice within the reports. Admittedly it's not very fair on the first ones to be inspected, which is why it is best to air on the side of caution and include links to CofL in obs/assessments/planning imo

Hi marym19. Don't lose your marbles over it! I think we're possibly all getting a bit worried over something which is possibly quite simple. As you say, you are looking for characteristics in your observations of children, and when you are planning any next steps for that child you will use those characteristics so that the child takes as much as possible from the activity you provide.

For example, if you are a very physical learner and I wanted to teach you how to do a plait, there would be very little point giving you a sheet of written instructions, or standing in front of you just showing you, you'd need to experience it for yourself, with your hands and your eyes etc. then you would learn.

So if a child is really exploring something, turning it over and looking for quite some time, then they are 'engaged' in learning, so you would plan activities that use this engagement, and encourage them to use their knowledge and extend it.

The thing is, we already DO this, all the time, it's just because it's written like this that we are questioning ourselves, I think.

• Like 3

Don't lose your marbles over it!

The thing is, we already DO this, all the time, it's just because it's written like this that we are questioning ourselves, I think.

Bravo Cait!! Just returned from too many days rest and relaxation in the sun and thourght Id catch up on here. Reading through 94 thoughts on this thread was begining to lose the will to live....aaaarrrghh what to do??? and then your last sentence gave me hope again :) :)

Thanks to all those great downloads on the subject tho....shall read and digest and hope that I have the right Characteristics of Learning to put them to good use! haha. Tho when I read your thread of 31/7 I was sure Id missed something huuuge...'shirt sentencing and mossing'....not more buzz words and initiatives sent from on high...?? Love it....onwards and upwards, onwards and upwards......

I *think* what we are going to do it make a concerted effort to use the specific wording of the CoEL in our observations so it is clear we are linking the observation to the CoEL and then when we review the observations for assessment and plods maybe highlight which characteristics we have observed children exhibiting and note any gaps and have this feed into our plods. I believe that we ARE already doing this but it is another case of making sure that it is obvious that we are - the same as looking in the mirror on your driving test in a really obvious manner! It will probably involve another highlighted form to go in the observation journals but I will see how managable that is - I thought this review was meant to cut down on paperwork?!

Mel

Would it be possible to share the doc as I am particularly interested in Te Whariki. Thanks in advance but will understand if sharing not possible.

did you want the original Te Whariki obs sheet or the one I was given at training with the changes?

Would it be possible to see what this looks like as I am very interested in Te Whariki, thank you. :1b

did you want the original Te Whariki obs sheet or the one I was given at training with the changes?

Hi max321 either or both might be worth a look please if possible as I am doing a piece off reserach making comparisions between TW and EYFS thank you

Both would be amazing. I will let you know how I get on in New Zealand on my little training expedition

I only have both in paper copy but am sure that somewhere I have the TW one on a memory stick, will have a look, if not will attempt to scan and save on to forum

Hi marym19. Don't lose your marbles over it! I think we're possibly all getting a bit worried over something which is possibly quite simple. As you say, you are looking for characteristics in your observations of children, and when you are planning any next steps for that child you will use those characteristics so that the child takes as much as possible from the activity you provide.

For example, if you are a very physical learner and I wanted to teach you how to do a plait, there would be very little point giving you a sheet of written instructions, or standing in front of you just showing you, you'd need to experience it for yourself, with your hands and your eyes etc. then you would learn.

So if a child is really exploring something, turning it over and looking for quite some time, then they are 'engaged' in learning, so you would plan activities that use this engagement, and encourage them to use their knowledge and extend it.

Exactly Cait,

We're also making best fit judgement on new DMS and keeping the old one with it......one less thing to worry about in an ever growing list :huh:

Edited by Guest

• 4 months later...

Hi, all. Newbie to this posting lark so apologies if I'm in the wrong place or something! Just want to clarify something about the Characteristics of Effective learning. I have my opinion of how they are meant to be used but a colleague whose opinions on things are generally spot on has got me questioning my understanding.

Are we meant to see a child progress through the three areas so that they progress from playing and exploring, moving on to active learning and then finally on to critical thinking or are we meant to ensure that they are showing that they can use all three aspects together i.e. that they show they are 'engaged', 'motivated' and 'thinking' simultaneously.

Thanks.

Guest colechin

Just a quick reply, but I would say the engaged, motivated and thinking. I'm sure someone else will be along with the correct answer soon.

Well, from what we do I would say all 3, at any given time, dependant upon their age and stage - you can still think critically "for your age", I don't think this is something which comes along the older you get. Interesting!

I'll second that! :1b

Well, from what we do I would say all 3, at any given time, dependant upon their age and stage - you can still think critically "for your age", I don't think this is something which comes along the older you get. Interesting!

AGREE! I also think that it applies to some of the statements too (just because you can 'separate from main carer' at 22-36 doesn't always mean to say it will continue that way for example when 3 or 4)

i don't look at them as something to work through - I think the activity and experience also factors in - something new will produce something different. An activity that is well known with some added challenge thrown on for growth would be a different judgement again - add a different practitioner and all of a sudden the child that draws beautifully resorts to doing scribble, or one that doesn't normally concentrates does!

put any of us in a familiar situation and you see one side of our personality; put us somewhere new and it brings out something else; add some challenge at any point (for me add ICT) and we can either persevere or give up <quickly!> I would be expecting a 'floating' 'dip in to them' and factor in an analysis against the situation (not for everything; possibly in a summary when deemed relevant? Not one to make extra work for ourselves!) Looking at this from someone observing me, I would hate to feel I was 'being graded or judged' - would the person really know what was going on in my life?

I feel we need to snatch our confidence back with what we know (as Cait says we already 'do' the CoL, we support and affirm them and value those before most other things as it's about the child itself, not what they can do as in knowledge or skill) use common sense and look to what the intention of things are and not always take them at face value; look at the underpinning message

- accept children are like waves - they ebb and flow, have their own form but can be directed, have wills of their own; are affected by external circumstances readily and go back to enjoying them and being with them. It appears some of the paperwork is undermining our knowledge, confidence and beliefs and it's time we stood firm and stopped having to justify everything by writing it down - we know our stuff and we are good at what we do!! Some days though it feels we are catching flies with chopsticks when we are forced to justify everything!

edit; gosh need to get of the soap box before I go dizzy!

Edited by gingerbreadman

I feel we need to snatch our confidence back with what we know (as Cait says we already 'do' the CoL, we support and affirm them and value those before most other things as it's about the child itself not what they can do as in knowledge or skill) use common sense and look to what the intention of things are and not take them at face value - accept children are like waves - they ebb and flow, have their own form but can be directed, have wills of their own; are affected by external circumstances readily and go back to enjoying them and being with them. It appears some of the paperwork is undermining our knowledge, confidence and beliefs and it's time we stood firm and stopped having to justify everything by writing it down - we know our stuff and we are good at what we do!!

Couldn't have put it better myself..........or more accurately - couldn't have put it that well at all :1b

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)