Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Characteristics Of Learning -How To Do Document ?

had a visit from our EY advisor this week - and have been advised to incorporate the charactaristics of learning in the childrens obs. I am updating one of our obs sheets to show new AOL , and would like to incorporate the characteristics of learning -but how ??

im trying to make it as simple and easy to understand as possible !!

still thinking.....would i need to note the characteristics of learning on each obs - (getting fed up of typing that now !! gonna be COL from now on !!) as that is something that would gradually change and evolve over time, would it be something to note on a half termly assesment ??

I am thinking about using coloured dots against observations in our learning diaries, e.g use 3 different colours for the 3 characteristics.

I am trying to make is as simple as possible.

Currently we do shorter observations with/without photos for steps in development that we havent seen before. These observations are less time consuming but clearly show each childs progress, and are divided into the areas of learning.

We use these, together with information from parents and other settings or professionals involved with the child for writing summative assessments termly from which medium term next steps are suggested and planning created from them which considers the childs prefered style of learning (hopefully the coloured dots will help here too, to provide evidence of the child's preferred characteristics of learning) and their interests, the environment, provocations and adult scaffolding etc.

I am trying to make the use of relating to characteristics useful rather than just another thing to cross reference to.

Trying being the operative word.....

has anyone given any thought to how they're going move children staying with current learning journeys onto new formats ?

I'm going to put the old EYFS paperwork into a poly pocket in the childrens individual learning journey folders and then continue with the new, not going to cross ref all the old stuff as this would take too long

I'm going to put the old EYFS paperwork into a poly pocket in the childrens individual learning journey folders and then continue with the new, not going to cross ref all the old stuff as this would take too long

Thats what we will be doing,

Hi all, Just trying to get my act together for September - it is all giving me such a headache...

I truly feel that, although I like the new learning areas etc..., there seems to be more paperwork involved than before!! struggling to get my head around the Characteristics of effective learning - can someone explain in simple language how we are supposed to use them?!? Thank you so much in advance x

Guest katylouise1984

I wonder if anyone can elaborate on this Characteristics of Effective Learning business! I like the colour coding idea and also of putting it on observations! What would you classify as the options? eg what would each colour stand for?

Does that make any sense, sorry!

Yes, they look nice, but 25 pages per child? Plus it puzzles me, the heading says

Playing and Exploring (engagement) ▪ Active Learning (motivation) ▪ Creating and Thinking Critically (thinking) ▪ Playing and Exploring (engagement) ▪ Active Learning (motivation)

Is that just a duplication error on their part, do you think?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)