Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Have You Ever Left One Of Your Children Behind!

sunnyday

Have just been watching a news item all about David Cameron leaving his daughter in the pub!

Reminded me of when our youngest son was just a few months old..........we left home for a camping holiday in Somerset..............leaving him asleep in his carry cot on the sofa :o :blink: luckily we realised what we had done about 5 miles down the road! :1b

• Like 2

Well this had nothing to do with children,but I can never forget when I was little walking down the road with my mum and brother, when mum suddenly said we had got to go home and rushing us up the road. It was some years later that she told us, that she had infact forgotten to put her knickers on under her skirt. It was only as the breeze blew she had realised, priceless memories. :)

• Like 4

Back in the 80's when my brother was a baby my mum went shopping with him ( it was the days when shops were not that pram friendly) she needed to go up the stairs part of the shop so she left my brother with the cashier. The shop had two different entrances and exits, mum went out the other exit leaving my brother with the cashier. Mum then got on the bus to go home, she was on th bus 5 minutes when someone asked her how my brother was and it was at this point mum realised she had left him. She jumped off the bus, ran back to the shop. My brother was still asleep in his pram, the cashier did wonder what was taking mum so long lol.

My mom was washing up in the kitchen, looked out of the window to the shops opposite and thought 'that looks like the same pram we've got'.Then she realised it was our pram, with me still in it parked outside the butchers!!

• Like 4

Years ago when we were children it was quite acceptable to leave children outside the very children unfriendly shops and my Mum managed to take five of to the shops - 2 in the pram and 3 walking. She then managed to get all the shopping and walk it all the way home - minus all 5 children !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We survived :DxD

• Like 2

Years ago when we were children it was quite acceptable to leave children outside the very children unfriendly shops and my Mum managed to take five of to the shops - 2 in the pram and 3 walking. She then managed to get all the shopping and walk it all the way home - minus all 5 children !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We survived :DxD

Love it xD :lol: xD

My mum did it to me too - left outside the shops while she pottered off home. Years later we've joked that if it had been my sister instead she probably woudn't have gone back!

Oh, we've all done it ......... I blush to say I got home before I realised I'd left my son a bus ride away!! Cue most urgent, desperate bus ride back!!!!!

PS - I really hope no-one is patrolling this site ready to 'dob us all in' !

• Like 1

Not quite the same I know but on my first day of school (I joined the school late as the school I was meant to be starting at had burnt down in the summer holiday so I and others had to wait until a place could be found at another school ) I became a "run away".

Everyone (I thought it was everyone at the time anyway) were getting their coats on to go home so I did too, taking myself home the half mile or so up the alley along the High Street and down our road marching in through our kitchen door and telling my mum that they forgot to give me my dinner!!

What I didn't know was my teacher, the school secretary and the head were persuing me via different routes to my home as I had run away from school. We didn't have a phone in those days so my mum was in a state of shock and the school staff relieved as one by one they arrived at my house. Me, I didn't know what all the fuss was about I just wanted something to eat.

• Like 3

Reminded me of when our youngest son was just a few months old..........we left home for a camping holiday in Somerset..............leaving him asleep in his carry cot on the sofa :o :blink: luckily we realised what we had done about 5 miles down the road! :1b

I remember when we did exactly the same thing with my sister - off on holiday and left the carry cot with the baby behind! My brother and I thought it wa hilarious, my mum less so!

Cx

• Like 1

I crossed the road with eight minded children before I realised one hadn't come out of school yet - Quick turn around - not really worth mentioning,

But... when I was eleven my mother took us on holiday to New Zealand where we went on a Rapids Speedboat ride. Quite like young Miss Cameron I needed the loo afterward. Meanwhile, all boarded the bus, leaving the unmanned visitor centre, and I came out to see the bus disappearing over the bridge. Luckily there were some builders on site, who radioed base (well before mobile phones). Mum came out with the next boat-load. She hadn't noticed I wasn't there - just saw a pile of hats and scarves and assumed I was. On her death-bed she still recalled with dread and guilt.

I survived.

Honey

• Like 1

We often have parents who bring children to preschool and then forget they came in the car and walk home. I can remember doing that as a child going to the shops in the car and setting off to walk back home with arm loads of bags with mum in a foul mood. Finally one of us dared to pipe up, 'why aren't we going home in the car?' and she burst into floods of tears! Looking back, she was probably pregnant with my little sister, and she had three of us already and was probably shattered! Poor mum

• Like 3

I was manning a charity stall at our local fair so my hubby took the 3 kids around to see the sites and say hello to me then went home. it was very busy there was a buggy sat with its back to me at the stall opposite I kept thinking thats like mine but we where busy so I just got on with it. 30 mins later hubby and children are back the buggy contained our youngest son who was ok but the ladies on the other stall were about to call the police.

years later my hubby took my 3yr old grandaughter to town on the train collected a large parcel and sat with her waiting for the train back he was getting on the train when a man said "is this yours" he wasnt meaning the parcel. we still trust him to take the children out but I confess that I always ring him.

A few years ago I left my daughter in the nursery where I work! - I got to the top of the car park in the car and then I realised. I blame it on the fact that she also went to another nursery and I got muddled what day it was

• Like 1

I took my son to school and left him in the classroom for what I thought was his taster session. I'd got the date mixed up. I'd just got in through the door when the phone rang and it was the headmistress asking if I knew I'd left him behind! I had to go all the way back again. They never let me live it down!

• Like 2

These are all really funny and we've all done something similar at some time.

You would think though that the Prime Minister out with his wife,children and bodyguards would have someone making sure that everyone, especially his children, are with them. Surely there is always the threat of one of them being kidnapped. You would think their security would be tighter.

my friend did this many years ago - she went in one door of a shop leaving her baby daughter outside a very pram unfriendly shop - she then walked around the shop picked up and paid for her shopping and walked out through the exit door which was round the corner from the entrance - she then walked home only to realise her baby was still outside the entrance to the shop -a very quick return was made

• Like 2

These are all really funny and we've all done something similar at some time.

You would think though that the Prime Minister out with his wife,children and bodyguards would have someone making sure that everyone, especially his children, are with them. Surely there is always the threat of one of them being kidnapped. You would think their security would be tighter.

Now that is a worry........

Guest Spiral

We had an old Morris Minor in the 70's. I remember being 3 and asking mum "why has Samuel fallen out of the car?"

He'd been in the back, leaned on the double doors and fallen out - he was sitting bolt upright, totally unharmed in the middle of the road and mum hadn't noticed!

Mum also left me outside the butchers in my pram while the village closed for lunch!.......makes me wonder about my mum now - 40 years later!!!!!

Spiral :-) :blink: :P :P :D

I remember being at a shopping centre in 1993 with my then 1year old saying ' oh look at the lovely moving clock' it has dancing people and pingy things great music everything. It was saying three o'clock, it wasn't until it finished I realised I was 30 minutes away from my childrens school!!!! I has forgotten to pick up my 5 amd 7 year old!!!! This was a time before EVERYONE had mobile phones so I had to run find a phonebox and change!!!! and ring my children's school The secretary never ever forgot and to this day I really dont think I should of been in charge of a car let alone my own children :huh:

Now I run the local pre-school Glad nobody knows so shhhhhhhhh!!! :wub:

• Like 1

We had a 'left behind' today. Gran forgot it was Wednesday! Was 45 mins late. Several phone calls, panicking mum, thinking her mum had been in an accident or whatever. All's well that ends well though

Edited by Cait
  • Like 1

We had a 'left behind' today. Gran forgot it was Wednesday! Was 45 mins late. Several phone calls, panicking mum, thinking her mum had been in an accident or whatever. All's well that ends well though

:D ::1a :D We had that two weeks ago. Nan didn't actually forget to collect child- but she thought we were open all day, and when she didn't arrive at 12- we looked in childs bag and found a packed lunch! :D ::1a

• Like 2

I don't think I got left behind as a child but last year I got locked in a shop......I went to the corner shop just before lunch time and was wandering around trying to remember what on earth I went in there for :blink: and when I went to pay there was no one behind the counter.....so I called out....no answer.....wandered around.....no sign of anyone.....went to the shop door to see if the lady was outside to find the door locked and she had obviously gone off for her lunch!!!!

I rang the police and asked if they could get in touch with the key holder and settled down on the floor to read the paper I was going to buy......the worse thing was she was really put out when she came back and so I didn't buy the paper or anything else for that matter....she was jolly lucky I could have stolen loads of stuff or trashed the joint :angry: xD

• Like 2