Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Safeguarding And Welfare Requirements

I manage a pre-school where we only serve snack and children bring in their own packed lunch. Do you think it is intended that all practitioners that prepare/serve snack will have to complete food hygiene training or do you think it refers to some 'in house' training

e.g wash hands, where an apron, tie hair back etc.?

Edited by Guest

we are the same as you we followed the food hygiene guidence in our in house training this was ok with the health dept and our previous ofsted our local authority said ok but not 100% sure with the new requirments As long as we pass the health dept. strict guidlines I cant see the problem however I am not ofsted will follow your post avidly

sue

I was inspected recently by environmental health- really nice guy actually.

He said it was fine for me to hold the food and hygiene cert and to make sure all my staff, volunteers have the training passed to them, i knocked up sheet and get them all to sign it and i do this yearly as a reminder for them.

we only do snacks, so accodrding to him, low risk

Good idea Suer, maybe add it to the induction pack as well. Just not convinced the statement requires more....

Have to wait and see what the training brings.

I was inspected recently by environmental health- really nice guy actually.

He said it was fine for me to hold the food and hygiene cert and to make sure all my staff, volunteers have the training passed to them, i knocked up sheet and get them all to sign it and i do this yearly as a reminder for them.

we only do snacks, so accodrding to him, low risk

We're the same.... however when Ofsted visited last month the inspector was very interested in what our provision did whilst I (holding the certificate for food hygiene) was off sick for 6 weeks, and while she was happy that the other staff had been 'trained' by me she did say that it would be better practice for everyone to hold a certificate...(although we still got outstanding!)

Also, in the new Statutory Guidance is states "In group provision, all staff involved in preparing and handling good must receive training in food hygiene". While is doesn't say that the training has to be from outside it would be prudent to do so if possible particularly given that it is so easy, quick and relatively cheap to do.

Hope this helps. x x x

can you tell me if you have to ask Environmental health to come and do an inspection or do they just come in ? We always ran in a village hall so this was dealt with but now in our own building and nothing has been mentioned about this, is it a requirement that environmental health carry out an inspection ? Do all settings in own premises have this inspection ?

can you tell me if you have to ask Environmental health to come and do an inspection or do they just come in ? We always ran in a village hall so this was dealt with but now in our own building and nothing has been mentioned about this, is it a requirement that environmental health carry out an inspection ? Do all settings in own premises have this inspection ?

Staff at my pre-school have been working their for upto 17 years..... we've been in a village hall, then a portacabin then moved to a classroom in the local school, havnig been their for over 3 years without a word - they suddently turned up on day! first inspection ever!!!!! We were 'flagged' up as having moved premises and that's why they inspected us..... strange....

yes you need to register with the EHO and they will come and do an initial inspection, they are then suposed to come in about 3 years time. Food hygiene needs to be updated every 3 years unless you hold a higher qualification (according to the eho....but i know some lea's say every 3 years) all my staff hold basic food hygiene (though we are low risk) because we also do cookery activities etc. We are now investigating online versions which are cheaper and more convenient for staff because they can be completed whenever and wherever!...the main things that the eho looks for in our area are handwashing facilities and rubbish collection/pest control

At my previous setting only one person held a certificate but all info was cascaded back to staff, we followed guidelines for hygiene etc as we all prepared snack with children and cookery activities. One member of my staff is going to do the training online approx £25. We are in a village hall too and as far as i am aware we are not registered with the EHO , I have queried this and still awaiting advice.

Our local auth have told us that someone has to hold a level 2 food hygiene cert even though we don't prepare meals but do cooking activities with the children. We are in a village hall and have twice been inspected in the last 3 years - mainly concerned with how we store food, have checking systems in place rather than how we actually prepare the food. It did help us to convince the hall committee that the kitchen needed updating!

• Like 1

no Doris unless you have lots of money - just get one to do the training and then as long as info is cascaded and you keep a book with food prep guidelines in and that all staff adhere to basic food hygiene , I'm sure will be fine . It's common sense and you are not preparing meals.

I made a book with all guidelines in plus food intolerances /allergies in for certain children with their photos.

We have our own cutlery and equipment ( locked away) so not shared with other hall users, thermometer in fridge although have to keep replacing as goes walk about but getting our own fridge soon. Today I brought 3 different coloured chopping boards , although unlikely to use 2 of them it is good practice and set our guidelines clearly so all staff follow procedure and also the children too when helping prep.

Also be aware that you inform parents to put in ice block to keep lunches cool if you have no adequate storage and that you must NOT reheat any childs food.

Do you have to have a certificate if you just do fruit and milk? Milk is served in cartons and the fruit is washed and cut up only when necessary. a member of staff in the school holds a certificate but not in the nursery.

We obviously wash hands and disinfect trays and utensils used etc I wonder if we need to be doing more?

When EHO visited us (a very nice lady) she said as long as one of had done the training that was fine.

She wasn't that worried that it was renewed every three years.... she joked that was 'food was food'....... but she did agree it was good practice- however she felt to send different person each time was far better practice! :D ::1a

What she did do was to send us a training DVD (I think it's just part of the 'better food better business' pack?) which she said all staff should watch- 10-15mins max. What i like about this is - it came with a letter/instructions from EHO which we are able to use a evidence that we are following LA guidelines.

• Like 1

we were much the same. We did flag up to them we had never been inspected as we were worried it would be picked up at our next OFSTED. The EHO pitched up around 4 weeks after we contacted them - spot check.

She was fine with one member having done level 2 food health and food certificate but suggested it would be good practice for a manager or deputy ot do it too. No need for all staff.

Very happy with how we did basis stuff - i guess they come across some sights :o so said we were fine and said we wouldnt see them again...

we too had the 'better food' pack to wade through.

Apple, worth contacting your EH office and checking. Presume you do cooking with kids? you probably wont harm in getting them to come out. Its really no worry.

My ofsted inspector was fine with what we did. I got outstanding too. But i guess she has a point perhaps one other, its too much to send everyone especially now we receive no funding for courses.

I really dont think that it is neccessary when we only prepare basic snacks that all hold the cert.

I thought it was every 3 yrs but my mr nice environmental health inspector said it actually does not say we have to renew it every 3 yrs and as far as he is concerned looking through the updates we get via the local council newletter is fine.

Also like to add our Ofsted inspector never questioned whether anyone had it or not........... in fact i don't think she even went anywhere near the kitchen area anyway xD :lol: xD :lol: xD :lol:

and surprise surprise our wanted to see everyones certificates...oh don't you just lurve ofsteds consistency!! :o :rolleyes:

Also like to add our Ofsted inspector never questioned whether anyone had it or not........... in fact i don't think she even went anywhere near the kitchen area anyway xD :lol: xD :lol: xD :lol:

I had been thinking the same.........hmmmm trying to remember if I have stated in my SEF that my deputy has completed the training and 'cascaded'

this website offer the training for £12 - and even cheaper if you have lots of trainees...

http://www.saferfoodhandler.co.uk/bundleoffers.html

and on the OFSTED front - our last inspection lady was lovely (she gave us outstanding!) but the one before observed the children from the doorway because it was 'a bit cold out' - we were all out in the wind and rain though!!