Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted Good Practice Visit

:(xD

I received a telephone call last week to tell me that I have been selected for an Ofsted Good Practice Visit "on the basis of prior evidence that indicates we are likely to find good practice in your setting relating to partnership working"

PLEASE don't tell me 'that's great' or 'how fabulous' or 'what a compliment' ..... I'm too busy being panic stricken and feeling queasy to take it in........

The visit will last 2-3 hours and include observation of an activity or play session, feedback from parents or other professionals, discussions with me, examination of documentation and feedback AND photographs :o

The visit will inform a case study of good practice that will be published on the Ofsted website.........

My parents and Network Co-ordinator suggest I focus on how, by providing a high quality early years experience I help to provide a firm foundation for future academic, social and emotional success.

I have written to the pre-school and primary school that 'my' children attend but every time I have to mention it to anyone my stomach churns.

Has anyone done one before? (and lived to tell the tale!?)

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nona

oh how awful for you - well you did say no compliments or praise, obviously someone at ofsted thinks your doing a grand job so just do what you do , have you looked at the good practice part on the website- funnily enough I was only looking at it last night to see what was on there, take a look it may help unfortunately I can't from a practical sense as not had to do this, hope i WILL GET CHANCE ONE DAY THOUGH.Look at it as a real acheivement for the way you practice and just be yourself x

Can't help much nona but I just wanted to ask you to try and relax and see it for the honour it undoubtedly is. I'm sure you'll iron out the technicalities, but in the meantime, I just wanted to say. WOW! :o

Oh nona! xD

As others have said - you will be brilliant - you have an outstanding from Ofsted and sounds to me as if they are doing some sort of 'box ticking' exercise here........

Ticking boxes...Ofsted? Really? :o

Hope all goes well for you Nona, it really is an honour, but probably feels like one you'd rather not have right now!

Beehive

:oxD :lol: :( :wacko:

This is what happens when, while reviewing your targets for the year during your Annual Review with your Network Co-ordinator, you smugly say "well I've graduated from my FD, got Outstanding from Ofsted in March and only need to update my First Aid before October" ..........

I'm allowing myself this week to quake and shake and panic before I try the power of positive thinking :(

There goes my couple of days off in half term! Although, if I do murder my lovely husband for his "well, tell them you don't want to do it" comments they'll have to cancel the visit, won't they?! :(

Nona

Edited by Guest

They do lots of one day subject or aspect based visits to schools for all sorts of things, transition into yr1 and MFL has been popular in our LA this year. It's part of the remit to disseminate good practice so just show them what you do!!

Cx

I would look at it as an advert as such. It's a huge compliment that they want to use you (yes, I have said it, sorry!!), and they must have reason for wanting to. They must already have some idea of what they will be looking for, and you are not there to be judged, rather Ofsted just want to advertise how good you are by saying "Wow, look what happens here".

They are looking for plus points, not looking for negatives. Remember that!! It's NOT an inspection per se.

However, all that said, I would be a quivering wreck and have my head down the loo also!!

Oh nona, what a pickle you've got yourself in. xD That'll teach you for being so good. :o

Like the others have said, you need do nothing different or change a thing. You are clearly perfect the way you are and that's what they want to show off. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Well..... the visit was today....... I spent all weekend trying to pretend it wasn't happening and used lots of displacement activities! I have the most up-to-date filing I've had for months, I spring cleaned the kitchen and yet, it was ok, it hardly hurt at all xD

It did take a lot longer than planned, from 9.15am to 2pm, thanks to 'help' from 2 under 3's and having to take time out to arrange for a poorly baby to be picked up and taken to the Doctor - just a typical day in my world!

Apparently, Ofsted are looking to increase the number of examples in their Good Practice area of their website. The initial criteria was to have received 2 consecutive Outstanding grades. Next the Inspection reports were looked at to see what particular areas the Inspector had highlighted in their comments. My Good Practice visit is looking at Partnership with Parents - how what I do leads to improved outcomes for children.

I did find it quite difficult to isolate what I think I do particularly well - I don't know what it is that I do that others don't, if you see what I mean!

However, the Quality Assurance manager was able to identify some ideas from our conversations and from looking at the children's daily diaries, LJ's and the shared photo memory books I keep.

She will now write it up into a report, including quotes from schools and parents I work with and add photos. It is then sent for 'technical editing' which means it's rewritten in Ofsted speak and, if all goes well, I'll receive a copy to sign-off within a few weeks. After that, I get a letter of thanks and it's 'live' on their website :o

All in all, it wasn't an unpleasant experience but I'm glad it's over! :(

Nona

THANK YOU !!!!

I'm glad I did it (although I may change my mind when I see it on THE site... it feels a bit like going over to the 'Dark Side' :o)

I made sure I mentioned FSF as many times as I could, honest!

A very relieved and much happier now it's over Nona