Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Channel 4 10pm Tonight

sunnyday

Oh Honey! What a treat you missed. :o

The premise of the programme was that an actress and mother would speak to a variety of mothers who could enlighten her about how to be a good mum.

They were all so different, and had their own unique perspective on parenting. What they did have in common was their absolute, unshakeable faith that their methods are the best way to bring up their children. I found this aspect of the programme refreshing: as a parent I continually doubt I'm good enough, but these parents suffered no such doubts!

Since none of you have watched it yet I won't spoil it for you by telling you all about these women. However I can guarantee it will be an interesting view! I doubt anyone could watch it and not have an opinion to express!

Oh Honey! What a treat you missed.

Agreed it was very funny and interesting at the same time with some OMG moments.

Since none of you have watched it yet I won't spoil it for you by telling you all about these women. However I can guarantee it will be an interesting view! I doubt anyone could watch it and not have an opinion to express!

I was goingto comment on them but agree it would spoil the surprises!

Worth a viewing. I intended going to bed after OBEM but got involved and enjoyed it.

Edited by Guest

Oh OK then! xD I can't resist asking though..........anyone for a placenta smoothie? :o:(:(:(

Oh OK then! xD I can't resist asking though..........anyone for a placenta smoothie? :o:(:(:(

No. Feel free to have it all to yourself! In my long list of of the things I will regret about my life when I go to meet my maker, not eating my own placenta (or making a nice print of it to frame and hang on my wall) will not feature!

Didn't there used to be a green-faced emoticon?

Do watch it if you havnt did say to hubby shall i go into business freeze drying placentas.... xD:(:( :wacko:

How about forming a partnership Hali - we could call ourselves 'Placentas r Us' :(

Ooh - just had a thought - wonder if we could use our slow cookers?! xD:o

Edited by sunnyday

How about forming a partnership Hali - we could call ourselves 'Placentas r Us' xD

Ooh - just had a thought - wonder if we could use our slow cookers?! :(:o

I really wouldn't be surprised if someone did this and it turned out to be a roaring business success!! :(

really wouldn't be surprised if someone did this and it turned out to be a roaring business success!!

They already have-she was on the programme. Not sure my husband would want to eat anything prepared on my worktops or cooked in my steam again if I was in the same business! Would love to see her 2 children playing in the home corner at nursery "anyone want a slice of freshly steamed placenta?,,,,do you want chips with that?"

How about forming a partnership Hali - we could call ourselves 'Placentas r Us' :(

Ooh - just had a thought - wonder if we could use our slow cookers?! :(:o

Fab idea Sunnyday - but do you think we would get any work done :(xD

Fab idea Sunnyday - but do you think we would get any work done :(xD

No probably not! :(

Not sure I could cope with steaming placentas (placenti?) I have to wear disposable gloves to handle the Christmas turkey! :o:(

On a more serious note I thought her (Mrs Placenta) comments about C section mums being unable to bond with their babies was completely outrageous.........

No probably not! xD

Not sure I could cope with steaming placentas (placenti?) I have to wear disposable gloves to handle the Christmas turkey! :o:(

On a more serious note I thought her (Mrs Placenta) comments about C section mums being unable to bond with their babies was completely outrageous.........

Yes - a few of the Preschool Mums came in blazing with that comment too!! one even said that if it hadn't been for her emergency section she wouldn't have had anything to bond WITH!!

Well, had to watch it after all the recommendations! Would love to re-visit them in 5-10 years time and see how the children are, especially as the mums were all convinced their way was the right way. Re the placenta mummy, some of this made sense, but the smoothie just about did for me!

Edit to say, maybe we could set up one of the smoothie franchises where they combine your favourite chocolate bars with milk. I'll supply the rubber gloves Sunnyday can't have you passing out on us :o

Edited by Panders

Re the placenta mummy, some of this made sense

:o:( Panders my dear friend........I think you should try a little lie down in a darkened room xD

Anyway, back to our new business venture - I had a good idea for the umbilical cords.......not for us the heart shaped charms to hang in windows..........I thought we might be able to fashion the babies date of birth.......what d'you think? Are you still saving the pizza bases - sure we could use them somehow :(

Ohhh! still haven't watched the programme but this does make me cross!!

As Mum of four, all born by Caesarian section I think she is talking rubbish.

I get tired of the caesar/normal delivery debate but can only comment on the former as I have no idea what it is like to have a contraction let alone go through labour.

I think there is effort and pain involved for mums whichever delivery method they experience.

Ok perhaps no effort on my part having a caesar, just had to lie there and be operated on but I guarantee the pain following major surgery is 'up there' with high pain levels!

My eldest was born in 1978 before epidural caesars were an option. I did kind of feel I missed out on the birth as I was anaesthetised and then woke up to be handed a baby BUT I 'dealt' with this by being utterly thankful that I was able to have a baby at all when so many people can't.

My other three born in 1979, 1981 and 1983 all by epidural caesar. Maybe I was just lucky that I had no bonding difficulties with any of my sons.

These days mums are in and out very quickly after a caesar but in 'my day' I was bed bound for the first 5 days and in hospital for 10!!!!

I don't doubt labour is painful but my guess is that the 'end result' soon makes pain a distant memory. Recovering from surgery and looking after a new baby is not easy either. I don't think one is an easier option over the other and would love to know the views of anyone who has had a caesar and a normal delivery.

sorry 'rant over' but I do get cross when people think I chose an easy option! My life and that of my first son were at risk and there was no option!

... stepping down off soap box .....

Well I'm not sure how the baby is supposed to know it came out of a hole at the front instead of down below. Let's face it, once out it sees the same faces, hears the same sounds and goes through the same assessments, cuddles, first feeds, etc whichever route it took!

Having been squeezed through a bony pelvis is unlikely to improve a child's ability to bond methinks!

Silly woman!!!

Well I'm not sure how the baby is supposed to know it came out of a hole at the front instead of down below. Let's face it, once out it sees the same faces, hears the same sounds and goes through the same assessments, cuddles, first feeds, etc whichever route it took!

Having been squeezed through a bony pelvis is unlikely to improve a child's ability to bond methinks!

Silly woman!!!

Absolutely!

One of my pre-school dads once told me that their new baby was delivered 'out of the sun-roof' which I quite liked! :o

:o:( Panders my dear friend........I think you should try a little lie down in a darkened room xD

Anyway, back to our new business venture - I had a good idea for the umbilical cords.......not for us the heart shaped charms to hang in windows..........I thought we might be able to fashion the babies date of birth.......what d'you think? Are you still saving the pizza bases - sure we could use them somehow :(

I only meant the capsules she makes from the dried plancenta just might have some health benefits, but if it is a worn out old plancenta then probably not!

It was the smoothies that really made we want to "chunder" as one of my dear boys calls it.

Now Sunnyday, about these charms.......... sadly the pizza bases made fabulous star decorations for the hall at Christmas, however, I am collecting black plastic meat trays from Tesco at the moment for an arty thing for Father's Day, now, perhaps we could present our little charms in one of those.

Now Sunnyday, about these charms.......... sadly the pizza bases made fabulous star decorations for the hall at Christmas, however, I am collecting black plastic meat trays from Tesco at the moment for an arty thing for Father's Day, now, perhaps we could present our little charms in one of those.

Oh yes I think we could make that work! :o

umbilical sausages - om nom! You selling them in your meat trays?

No, no, no - not sausages - we plan to fashion some 'charms' from the umbilical cords - this after we have seperated from the placentas which we are cooking/freeze drying or something :(xD

Edited by sunnyday