Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ofsted Consultation On Regulation Of Ey Providers

eyfs1966

I'm interested that childminders will now have to complete their training before they register. A bit alarmed that settings who have a complaint filed against them will result in a full inspection though. As if the stress of being complained about isn't bad enough!

Ofsted.....

I thought that's what you meant, but didn't want to assume!

I wonder what the issue is here? I don't think I'm imagining it, but I'm sure this used to happen? Regular (quarterly?) meetings between Ofsted and LA advisory teams?

It might be helpful if Ofsted consulted with the LA when they are investigating a complaint against a setting, but I don't think this happens either does it? Certainly when I had a complaint made against me my development worker appeared not to know about it. :o

I was secretly hoping that the grading would change and there would not be the big divide between outstanding and good - only words but they would sure make a difference to have a very good , and a excellent in between them and no change with notice which i understand on one point but still think it is unfair that different establishments get given different notice times despite all being early years

I thought that's what you meant, but didn't want to assume!

I wonder what the issue is here? I don't think I'm imagining it, but I'm sure this used to happen? Regular (quarterly?) meetings between Ofsted and LA advisory teams?

It might be helpful if Ofsted consulted with the LA when they are investigating a complaint against a setting, but I don't think this happens either does it? Certainly when I had a complaint made against me my development worker appeared not to know about it. :o

In the past, there were quarterly meeting between the LA and the OFSTED local rep. They certainly don't happen in my LA any more. We don't get to hear about complaint unless the setting contacts us or it appears on the OFSTED site.

Settings often ask me if I 'know' when they are going to be inspected, and Im sure many don't believe me when I say I have no relationship with OFSTED, I have never even met any of the inspectors!

I seem to recall that when LAs were asked to put settings into categories for support (you may know this as EQUISP or RAG rating or something else), that this could be shared with OFTSED. But lets be honest, if your setting has a low rating (eg red), you're hardly going to wave that under the inspectors nose, and as far as I know, none of our settings have said they were asked for it.

• 1 month later...

In the past, there were quarterly meeting between the LA and the OFSTED local rep. They certainly don't happen in my LA any more. We don't get to hear about complaint unless the setting contacts us or it appears on the OFSTED site.

Settings often ask me if I 'know' when they are going to be inspected, and Im sure many don't believe me when I say I have no relationship with OFSTED, I have never even met any of the inspectors!

I seem to recall that when LAs were asked to put settings into categories for support (you may know this as EQUISP or RAG rating or something else), that this could be shared with OFTSED. But lets be honest, if your setting has a low rating (eg red), you're hardly going to wave that under the inspectors nose, and as far as I know, none of our settings have said they were asked for it.

We're on red rating because we've a change of manager following the previous manager's sudden death in December, and even if she'd resigned & we'd gone through appointments & induction before she actually left, we'd have still been on red for a change of manager, so red isn't necessarily as scary as we think.

• 3 weeks later...