Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Saying Thank You

sunnyday

I'm just going to have a bit of a moan......

We are giving out Bookstart Treasure Chests at pre-school........how many parents do you think have said 'thank-you' or even more to the point have encouraged their child to say 'thank-you'.........OK so that would be none, zero, na da......the only person to say thank you was a 'granny'....what does that tell you? xD

Yeah, yeah, yeah - I know that I haven't paid for these.....but I did have to go and collect them - still what else what I be doing on a Friday afternoon.........

This is all beyond me - I really hope that I don't ever forget to say thank-you......hope that I don't just take things (and people) for granted either......

Right 'moan over' - I do feel better for it though! :o

Including me! I often have to text after an event to say 'sorry I forgot to say thank you'. I am officially a bad person! xD

Oh I do that too!

My biggest sin, is forgetting to offer people a drink when they come to the house. My mom often complains of being parched while massaging her throat :o

Oh I do that too!

My biggest sin, is forgetting to offer people a drink when they come to the house. My mom often complains of being parched while massaging her throat :o

I do that too!

Some of my visitors have now learned to just go and put the kettle on if they need a drink!

Sunnyday I am irritated on a daily basis by the number of children who cross the road to and from school without saying thank you to the new crossing warden. I make a point of saying it loudly myself and being vocal in reminding the children in my care as well as praising them for saying it when they remember.

It costs nothing and reminds us to appreciate each other.

I have to confess to having forgotten myself occasionally and accidentally reminded and adult who had 'forgotten' to say it. It can be a little embarrassing but I never regret having done it!

I have to confess to having forgotten myself occasionally and accidentally reminded and adult who had 'forgotten' to say it. It can be a little embarrassing but I never regret having done it!

Oh I do that in shops! :o An extremely loud 'THANK YOU' to totally disinterested shop assistants!!! Mr S is used to this behaviour by now.....my sons are another matter "Mother - do you have to do that" - well....yes I do actually! xD

Guest youngrisers

ha ha this made me simle i felt a reply coming on. As ancient as i am, I still correct children and remind them to say please and thank you, My grand daughter at 2 is being constantly reminded , and I hope other equally ancient and learned colleagues do the same. Manners doth make a man or women and in this world influencing others by using them must make life more pleasent. At snack time, parents meeting i thank parents and children for saying thank you, obsessive you bet! so thank you for rising this topic and please keep up the reminders of good manners to all your children.

ha ha this made me simle i felt a reply coming on. As ancient as i am, I still correct children and remind them to say please and thank you, My grand daughter at 2 is being constantly reminded , and I hope other equally ancient and learned colleagues do the same. Manners doth make a man or women and in this world influencing others by using them must make life more pleasent. At snack time, parents meeting i thank parents and children for saying thank you, obsessive you bet! so thank you for rising this topic and please keep up the reminders of good manners to all your children.

Well thank you for your response! :o

I had a similar thing this week at staff meeting. Offered to pay for part of christmas dinner with school staff. No one said thankyou. A week on no one wants to go out at christmas. I will save my money.

I know what you mean regarding parents. not much thanks for all the hassles we have to put up with all day.

Buttercup

I am by no means ancient but I do insist on the children saying please and thank you - when handing out fruit I have been known to hold onto it with the child until I hear thank you - prompting where necessary! Its just common courtesy for anyone to use good manners and it shows respect to everyone.

I so agree. I have a habit of saying 'pardon?' if I get asked something without a please. I have even been known to do it with children who wanted to go to the toilet (the ones I knew weren't 'desperate'!). Most of my lot clearly know they are meant to say but just don't do it automatically. However, I once had a boy who was clearly never expected to say it and just kept repeating his request getting progressively louder. Eventually a child near him, nudged him, rolled there eyes and whispered 'just say please'. The first boy looked distinctly sceptical but decided to try it and lo and behold his request was granted instantly with much enthusiasm and 'absolutely'!

I always find this a difficult one - as we must remember in some cultures saying 'please' is thought of as begging. That said on the whole we go with the please.....and defo a thank-you!!!

Although getting back the sunnydays original post..... when it come to the 'bookchests'..... I'm actually saying 'thank-you' to the parents for taking them!!!!!!! :oxD:(

Although getting back the sunnydays original post..... when it come to the 'bookchests'..... I'm actually saying 'thank-you' to the parents for taking them!!!!!!! :oxD:(

That has 'confused' me ....... not that it takes a lot to do that.......do you find that parents don't want them? :(

One of my colleagues sings 'halleluia halleluia' whenever children remember to say please and thank you. And as for the 'book chests' my deputy had to run up the path with one of these as we kept forgetting to give it out - even with a big notice on our door reminding us. I was so relieved!

Rachel

Today I realised my please and thank you song was not working - no one said thank you for the fruit minutes later when they were given out! Time to do something about it I think!!!

Manners cost nothing, and we are prompting our children to say thank you at every opportunity.

When we give out book bags or paintings etc from the home box I will pass it over to a child but hold onto it until someone says thank you!!

I had a parent once tell me that they weren't posh like me (!!!!!) and didn't say please and thank you all the time!!!

I also joined a union following a comment from a parent who sad that their child didn't have to say please and thankyou. . . . . and she went on to kick up quite a fuss. . . and there were not cultural differences there just plain rudeness!!!!!!!!!!!

Thinking about it , I did find the children from other cultures were often more polite and always said please and thank you... as did the parents...

and I think it often says something about the way parents were brought up as well - the way our culture has developed and changed.