Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

"let Off Steam"

Pimms o'clock?

...well I have had the week from hell, I can't please anyone - adults that is - children are fine.

Deputy manager has built up a list, an assasination list as it turns out, supervisor is too laid back and lets the children do what they want;

unqualified L2 trainee is good with children but needs to use common sense and turn her hand to jobs like snack or storytime;

staff mem. works hard but has her own "agenda" what ever that means;

another is unreliable and has too much time off - her own daughter in law who has had health problems and I have been trying to be supportive;

another is off too often when her daughter is ill this Tuesday was the first time she has had to do so since last Nov.

one who returned from maternity leave of 9 months at the begining of June doesn't seem to know what to do!!! This one has me puzzled - give her the jobs rota and I'm sure she will catch up.

Oh and to cap it deputy's last hurrah was and I am thinking of leaving but will give you three months notice, and guess how I got to hear about all this from her husband!

Talk to all of them individually about all these and they tell me Deputy is getting too bossy since she came back off long term sick (pot calling kettle black) again I have been very sympathetic to her needs.

ARRGHH why do we do this, oh yes as I said at the begining the children are wonderful and have been exceptional while they have had to endure lots of changes when all these adults around them have been unreliable!!! Is it Friday yet? I think I might decide to sell up if tomorrow doesn't get any better, that might leave some of them in an uncertain position as far as their jobs go - can I be that ruthless??

I don't expect anyone to reply with a quick fix, well maybe bashing their heads together might work, but I just needed to vent my total frustration, thanks for reading this very long rant.

Edited by BMG

You rant away thats what the forum is for. xD

Just sometimes whatever and i mean whatever you do there is someone ready to be either unsupportive, uncaring or just damn right akward to boot. After 33 years in childcare and education i generally let it go whoosh, because i know deep in my heart we work so hard for the children in our care.

The day i forget that is the day i leave. :o

Oh dear! xD If only virtual hugs could resolve these problems we'd all be working in the most fantastic, communication friendly settings imaginable.

However I'm a bit bemused by all of this. How did the list come to light? Have you had any kind of serious conversation with her about her views and justification for the inclusion of these individuals on the list?

Finally, if someone signals their intention to resign but with a longer notice period than is necessary as part of the contract, can you accept their resignation but say a longer notice period won't be necessary? It sounds to me like your deputy needs a change of scene. :o

I hope you get all this sorted - it sounds like a potential nightmare to negotiate. I'm with Panders - give yourself a treat and try to escape for a while.

...well I have had the week from hell, I can't please anyone - adults that is - children are fine.

ARRGHH why do we do this, oh yes as I said at the begining the children are wonderful and have been exceptional while they have had to endure lots of changes when all these adults around them have been unreliable!!! Is it Friday yet? I think I might decide to sell up if tomorrow doesn't get any better, that might leave some of them in an uncertain position as far as their jobs go - can I be that ruthless??

.... so tomorrow we'll do it all again!! :o

Hope you feel better for letting off steam?

I sometimes feel that people are expecting more for doing less! Fewer people seem to strive to exceed expectations or show any professional pride - except those on here!!!!

Nona

I want to add my sympathy - it all sounds so familiar and when I'm feeling good I can cope better with staff but when I'm a bit low- it's what we all have come to accept - unappreciative, uncaring, demanding employees - relying on dedicated, committed, professionals to do the bulk of work needed to provide the best! It's so true - my week has been awful - but I have done some wonderful things with the children....we made a fabulous book - Not now nursery children! Based on Not now Bernard - the pleasure I took from that has kept me going this week - I always seem to be thinking the same - it's the adults that spoil my job!

Huge hugs to you!!! Xxx

Edited by Guest

Finally, if someone signals their intention to resign but with a longer notice period than is necessary as part of the contract, can you accept their resignation but say a longer notice period won't be necessary? It sounds to me like your deputy needs a change of scene. :o

:( This made me laugh out loud Maz!

She's clearly been letting off steam herself so only fair you get to as well. I'm with the others, have a big glass or two of something this weekend. xD

The technical term for thingies is emoticons Maz. And yes you're quite right - I surreptitiously introduced a new thingy along with the banana thingy yesterday, but rather unkindly didn't add the jumping thingy to the box of thingies. Slightly worried that the forum will descend into thingy frenzy if I add some of the more lurid ones...

I would like to thank you all for the thinghy laughs; forgotten about all my "anxt" now. xD I have found the banana :o but have no idea where the bouncy smiley is hiding.

Just to fill everyone in I have written a memo to my deputy and supervisor, basically telling them both to "manage and supervise" other staff and stop second guessing that everyone knows what they should be doing and another to all the other staff telling them to look at duty rotas when they arrive for work so that there is no excuse for not doing what they are suppose to be doing and if they feel they could be doing more ask deputy or supervisor for guidance if they can't think for themselves.

Do you think that this might sort it out, oh and i have also started to give some thought to would on my team might be able to "step up" to deputy (but I would advertise too) if that situation arises.

Enjoy your weekend everyone, and keep on making me laugh pleeease!

The technical term for thingies is emoticons Maz. And yes you're quite right - I surreptitiously introduced a new thingy along with the banana thingy yesterday, but rather unkindly didn't add the jumping thingy to the box of thingies. Slightly worried that the forum will descend into thingy frenzy if I add some of the more lurid ones...

Spoilsport! How could you possibly think that we would abuse new thingies like that, thingy frenzy indeed! How about just for the summer break? Pretty please?

Edited by Panders

That was quick sunnyday! The bananas are mainly meant as a reward for The Librarian if he does some particularly good work on the PRAMS tutorials. :o

Aha PRATCHETT (ook)

Spoilsport! How could you possibly think that we would abuse new thingies like that, thingy frenzy indeed! How about just for the summer break? Pretty please?

I'll have a look around over the next few days Panders, to see if I can dig out some more tasteful (if that's not a contradiction in terms) smileys. Not ones that whizz around all over the place in deference to mundia and others. :o

I'll have a look around over the next few days Panders, to see if I can dig out some more tasteful (if that's not a contradiction in terms) smileys. Not ones that whizz around all over the place in deference to mundia and others. :o

How about a glass of wine, or a cup of tea..........just for the holidays???!!!