Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Settings Sharing An Eyp

HappyMaz

I had an interesting conversation today about the fact that settings in our Authority receive extra funding per child if they have an EYP on the staff team. Not everyone can or is willing to grow their own EYP and so the question was asked how many hours the EYP would need to work in the setting in order to qualify for the higher rate of funding. We got an answer of a sort - EYPs do actually have to work with the children in the setting in order to qualify, so they couldn't just be involved with the group on a consultancy basis. However no-one seemed to know exactly how many hours the EYP would need to be there.

So the question I'd like to ask is are there any settings out there who share an EYP with another group in order to qualify for enhanced funding? If so, how many hours does the EYP work and how does it all work in practice?

Not that I'm trying to line up a new job for myself, honest!

i wait with baited breath....i have asked this question before and have got nowhere.... :o:( i have also asked about using the committee as i have several who are qualified teachers!

Well you'll be glad to know that questions are being asked in high places. :( And when I've got answers from here I shall ask at the Borough, too! xD Out of interest, are these committee members early years teachers, and are they willing to come and work in the group?

Not everyone can or is willing to grow their own EYP

I haven't managed to 'grow' an EYP - was thinking about 'knitting' one! xD:o

No, seriously now ....... I will be very interested to hear whatever answers you manage to get!

Well you'll be glad to know that questions are being asked in high places. xD And when I've got answers from here I shall ask at the Borough, too! :o Out of interest, are these committee members early years teachers, and are they willing to come and work in the group?

Some of them have primary experience ...they would be willing to help but then we get to the point of are they employed if they are not paid?! and how many hours would we have to have them for in order to qualify as you said

I haven't managed to 'grow' an EYP - was thinking about 'knitting' one! :(xD

:o This refers to the GLF scheme in our Authority which was called the Home Grown Graduate Initiative - so as soon as you had a candidate on the Foundation Degree (I think, but I could be wrong) you could claim the graduate leadership fund.

Hello,

I asked if you had two EYP's in the setting did you get double the SFF supplement , but sadly the answer was 'no'.

Sounds like a loop hole if you can 'borrow an EYP' and still qualify for the extra money.

:o This refers to the GLF scheme in our Authority which was called the Home Grown Graduate Initiative - so as soon as you had a candidate on the Foundation Degree (I think, but I could be wrong) you could claim the graduate leadership fund.

Hm, my County don't seem to be doing that. I have FD but can't claim GLF

Sounds like a loop hole if you can 'borrow an EYP' and still qualify for the extra money.

Well the EYP would be a paid member of staff in each setting, with responsibilities to lead and support EYFS practice, so I'm not sure it would be classed as 'borrowing'. We shall wait and see what we find out!

Hm, my County don't seem to be doing that. I have FD but can't claim GLF

Sorry, should have made my post a bit clearer. You need to commit to achieving EYPS within the next three years to qualify, from memory.

I have only worked 17.5 hours since September and less before that but we were able to claim GLF for an EYP (me). I have tried to ask the same question of our LA too but not been given an answer either. As of next month we have no money to fund EYPs in our area, but prior to that I had tired to engage the authority and other EYPs in looking at a scheme where the EYPs could be emplyed to support more than one setting. Unfortunately a lack of vision in the LA and a very precious attitude from some EYPs has meant no one really took me up on it. Now the government has dropped the requirement for all settings to have an EYP and so many of the LA team have lost their jobs I can't see anything coming of it, even though with a bit of organisation we could work to support the vastly reduced support teams. As my job is now at an end it does sound slightly like I'm trying to write myself a new one, but I just thought that it would be great for sharing good practice, developing links between settings, especially where children attend more than one, etc.

Some councils have a buddy scheme where a setting can opt to support another setting and receive an extra lump sum in their SFF. I have opted to do this, but as yet have not been actioned to support anyone, so it will be interesting to see how this develops.

Not sure if all councils are offering this supplement from April ?

Seems you are in the wrong county!

Well that wouldn't help me anyway, dorisdarling because I have no setting. How will your scheme work, do you know? Will you be released from your own group to do this mentoring work, or will you do it 'after hours' so to speak?

Well that wouldn't help me anyway, dorisdarling because I have no setting. How will your scheme work, do you know? Will you be released from your own group to do this mentoring work, or will you do it 'after hours' so to speak?

I have signed up to a minimum 10 visits a year - so probably released 1 day a month. It could include visits from the other setting to my setting to observe practice . Time is allowed for preparation and writing reports within the day. It all has to be monitored to keep the funding.

I have signed up to a minimum 10 visits a year - so probably released 1 day a month.

Do you have to be interviewed to be selected for this role, or are you automatically selected because you're an EYP?

This was my very question sometime ago, as a setting like ours would not be able to pay a EYP what they deserve to be paid without considerable additional funding. xD:o

There was never a definitive answer then and doesn't appear to be one now.

Unless somebody knows or can advise me otherwise. :(

Dorisdarling - what will you be doing when you go into these settings? :o

The setting as I understand it will be in need of support to improve, so therefore I would offer my knowledge in being able to 'make a change to their practice'.

I see it as out sourcing and supporting the work ELA's currently do.

• 1 month later...

Just resurrected this to say that we've had an email this afternoon to say that the GLF will be replaced with something called the Graduate Funding Programme. Where a setting employs an EYP on a part-time basis they will be eligble for the funding on a pro-rata basis.

Still no answer on how many hours the EYP would need to do in order for the setting to qualify though - my guess is that they'll consider each application on its merits.

Could be in for an interesting time!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)