Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Signing In

At our setting the children generally arrive and leave at about the same time. There are no other arrival or leaving times. The children self register on arrival by collecting an apple with their name on and hanging it on the apple tree. At the same time a member of staff is ticking off arrivals in the register / At the end of the morning another tick \ is entered as the child is handed over to parents. If anyone arrives or leaves at a different time the time is entered instead of a / or \. We have recently been told by a local advisor that OFSTED would not be happy with this and parents must sign children in and out.

Is this correct?

If it is and others do it how on earth do you get round the queue to sign in and then to sign out when 20 children arrive and leave at the same time.

All I can spot is that time in and time out must be recorded.

Alwyn

We weere told the same some years ago but we stopped because it took ages and parents often forgot.

At some of the council nurseries I worked at the children are signed in/out but they didnt have a set time when everyone arrived/left.

We just had Ofsted and it wasnt mentioned, she was there at the start and end of sessions and must have been happy with ho we do it whih is the same way as you do it whitetree.

I tend to phone Ofsted when I hear things like that and write down the answer an dthe date for our files.

Thats true, Ofsted need accurate times of attendance for both staff and children, including on collections and drop offs.

Having said that mrs o wasnt interested in seeing my registers (ticked) which i had also bothered to complete, saying that the signing in and out sheets were sufficient :)

Ali :)

We were OFSTEDed last week and the 'times' were looked at

We have a daily tick sheet with session times at the top. Children are 'ticked in' on arrival and then the tick is crossed when they go home. If they arrive or leave outside the session times the time is written by their tick/cross. We do not get parents to sign their children in or out but they do sign to say if someone else is due to collect.

Our tick sheet if one A4 sheet per week. Typed and easy to use and OFSTED like it

That's broadly what we do too Gezabel.

Not sure I explained it that well :o

Certainly during the inspection the 'official register' was of less interest to the inspector.

On the reverse of the children's tick sheet there is the same for staff.

I think if we had to get parents to sign children in and out it would listed under one of the statutory requirements but if it's there I haven't seen it.

We have a signing in/out register for parents at the reception area ,so that we know who is in the building for fire purposes ( we are full daycare nursery) but the children self register with thier peg photos and then the staff member in the room signs them into and out of the room - we always sign in and out with times rather than ticks as this was pointed out by Ofsted at last inspection that times are less likely to be written in the wrong box whereas a tick could be misplaced. Staff also sign into building at reception and have a separate sheet in each room attached to childrens register - again they sign in and out with times. :o

In our register we have two columns for each session. We put a tick in the first column against each child's name indicating that they are here at the beginning of the session. If they arrive later we put the time instead. We put the time they left in the second column.

Mrs O was more than happy with this, and there was never any suggestion that we get the children signed in by their parents. I'd be interested to see where it says this in the welfare requirements, either in the 'must do' or 'must have regard to' parts.

we have an in and out register.

we tick children in as they arrive - these are then counted - once this is done any children who arrive we put a time in their space rather than a tick and adjust our number of children in session.

if children leave before the end of a session we do get parents to sign them out - we also put a time in the out register and adjust the number of children in session- hope that makes sense

x

I do believe you sazzj but where does it state this please. :o:(

We do the same as whitetree, but we do have a early leavers and late arrivals book which parent/carers sign.

You know I don't know lol xD just when I have been Ofsted previously it has been mentioned though they see it when they sign in as children, staff and visitors sign in on same form under different sections.

Been reinforced in 3 settings so maybe local authority or good practice I am guessing

You know I don't know lol :o just when I have been Ofsted previously it has been mentioned though they see it when they sign in as children, staff and visitors sign in on same form under different sections.

Been reinforced in 3 settings so maybe local authority or good practice I am guessing

parents/carers time and sign children in and out of the sessions they attend in our setting - up to 26 at a time in the am but we have staggered times of leaving the setting during the day. Member of staff always checks the register and writes the number of children attending on a blackboard on the door and changes it accordingly if children leave or attend an afternoon session. All staff/visitors use the same sheet...we find this an effective way of recording who has dropped off/picked up and is an effective way of safeguarding children.

Isn't having the times recorded part of safeguarding? We walk out to the gate to let parents in, with the signing in sheet which we give them to write their child's name, the time they arrive and then they sign it!!! We then have to do the same in reverse on the way out.

I think a member of staff should be responsible as there are always some parents who manage to avoid signing out or sign in the wrong place or you can't read their writing!!

Isn't having the times recorded part of safeguarding? We walk out to the gate to let parents in, with the signing in sheet which we give them to write their child's name, the time they arrive and then they sign it!!! We then have to do the same in reverse on the way out.

I think a member of staff should be responsible as there are always some parents who manage to avoid signing out or sign in the wrong place or you can't read their writing!!

yes, but you need to know through your records 'who has dropped off or collected a child/dren' - especially when there is conflict between parents/carers...

At our setting the children generally arrive and leave at about the same time. There are no other arrival or leaving times. The children self register on arrival by collecting an apple with their name on and hanging it on the apple tree. At the same time a member of staff is ticking off arrivals in the register / At the end of the morning another tick \ is entered as the child is handed over to parents. If anyone arrives or leaves at a different time the time is entered instead of a / or \. We have recently been told by a local advisor that OFSTED would not be happy with this and parents must sign children in and out.

Is this correct?

If it is and others do it how on earth do you get round the queue to sign in and then to sign out when 20 children arrive and leave at the same time.

Alwyn

Hi to you all,

At my setting children sign themselves in with a time recording it on a line opposite a number 1,2,3

etc , on a washing line they put up the corresponding number with their photograph

stuck on with Velcro.

I have a register that I record all children attending the session as well.

On leaving the session, parent have to sign them out with the time. This is done at a table

with boxes on it for the numbers , pictures and other relevant information, parent have to pass this

table to get out of the door.

Ofsted say you must have the time children come into your care and leave your care, I also record

the time in my register.

Hope this helps

Jayr

I shall follow this topic with interest.

We current tick all in/out in bulk, by staff. Times are on register as 'all children attend 9.15 - 12.15 unless otherwise stated' and we put the actual times of late/earlies etc.

Staff have separate sheet with actual time in/out - put are also include in main 'tick' register.

Whilst I like the idea of a daily signing in sheet in theory - in practice it would be a nightmare for us! Also what about all the storage of those daily sheets? Especially if like us you have very limited 'safe storage space' at the moment we just have 5 sheets of paper per 6/7 weeks.

We are due Ofsted any day, and shall ask if she doesn't ask first!

Ours are registered in by staff, a tick to say they are in, what time, what show and tell they have, who is picking them up. The children also self register on the drinks board, plus we have a board saying how many are in session (this is useful for headcount when freeflowing).

The only thing we get parents to sign (initial) for is to confirm they have applied suncream in the summer. I think having to initial for that makes them less likely to say they have when they haven't.

We have a register with time in time out but we also have a signing in book for parents again they put the time in and their signature and the same when they leave.

We did have an incident once really cant remember what it was about other than parent was positive neither she nore her child had been in on a particular day and so hadn't received something, when the signing in shet was produced we had a very apologetic parent. :o

So they do have their uses>

kris

• 1 month later...
yes, but you need to know through your records 'who has dropped off or collected a child/dren' - especially when there is conflict between parents/carers...

toadie can you explain what you mean please. Most of the signatures we have are eligible so i wouldn't know from reading it who had dropped the child off. We have very strict rules about who can collect children, only those people named and who we have photograph of are allowed to collect children.

We had Ofsted in last week and she was happy with our signing in register and it's the only one we use

Edited by Guest

I'm about to introuduce parents signing in.This is a direct result of a prent calling me a liar as th her child's attendances! Apparantly, he doesn't come on Thursdays ( err, yes he does!) and he ALWAYS leaves at 2 on the dot..................in spite of register records to the contrary, which I know are correct as I take the register.So, she has given me a cheque for £66, when it should be £147..........going to invite her in to look at the entries in the register for herself and if we can't resolve it, I'm afraid she'll have to remove her child from the group.Sad, but I've just about had enough of parents such as these and I can't afford to be losing money every month. The other side of the coin though, is the lovely parent who phoned to say her bill was incorrect, because I hadn't charged her for the extra two hours her child had when mum was taken ill......why can't they all be like that??

I'm about to introuduce parents signing in.This is a direct result of a prent calling me a liar as th her child's attendances! Apparantly, he doesn't come on Thursdays ( err, yes he does!) and he ALWAYS leaves at 2 on the dot..................in spite of register records to the contrary, which I know are correct as I take the register.So, she has given me a cheque for £66, when it should be £147..........going to invite her in to look at the entries in the register for herself and if we can't resolve it, I'm afraid she'll have to remove her child from the group.Sad, but I've just about had enough of parents such as these and I can't afford to be losing money every month. The other side of the coin though, is the lovely parent who phoned to say her bill was incorrect, because I hadn't charged her for the extra two hours her child had when mum was taken ill......why can't they all be like that??

One of the reasons we had signing in... parent/ person dropping off and collecting printed thier name as well as signed so we knew who it was also had to write in arrival time and collection time on the sheet, and we had a clock on the table for them to use when giving the time, radio controlled so always correct..

and if more than 5 minutes after the collection time we had a form to use to begin the calling them, noting times, who called etc and they had to sign to say why they were late, fees kicked in after 15 mins... £5.00 per 15 mins from the end of session time... not many were late having paid once! Had issue with parent once over her being so late it ran into the next session and complained to big O about us because we asked why? never caught like that again!

It may take time at the beginning and end of sessions but it was well worth the time.

BTW - we found the children liked to have their own version to write in so we had a smaller version on a lower table for the children to sign in if they wanted... they loved it.

Edited by Inge

Is this correct?

Alwyn

An old manager once tried to put the parents signing in/out at our setting and it was a total nightmare

We tried it for 1/2 term we spent a lot of time chasing up the parents on their following session to actually sign, they really found it a pain as they have to be quick to pick up and get off the road where they park, waiting for the sheet to become free became a bit of a battle :o

so we went back to recording time entered/leaving the building done by the Leader.

Interesting to see so many variations, I think if it works for you and is an accurate record of who is in the building at any given time then that's all that is required.

Our register board is on a display board in the middle of the setting (am in later today, if I remember I'll take a pic), it is where it is so parents HAVE to come right in and engage with us! Parents sign in and out with a time, at each change staff update the numbers of 2/3's on the white board. We also have a staff register (I use this to check time sheets too) and a picture register for staff so everyone can see at a glance who's in the building. Children stick their picture cards on a felt board underneath!

Our regsiter is similar to others, we have the time in and time out columns with the times as headings, children are then marked in/out as they enter/leave building. If anyone is late/early dropping off/picking up then we just enter the correct time. I have a separate sheet to record staff and visitors. Ofsted have seen this and where happy with it. I have to say,the thought of getting parents to sign in and out would be horrific and take forever!! Out of 25 children we invariably end up with 20/22 arriving at same time (usually outside waiting for us to open the doors) and all leaving at the same time. How do you manage this I just have visions of people queuing to get in or out for ages, quite frankly all I can see this achieving is annoying staff and parents alike. As long as you have the time recorded & then marked off I cant see the problem, I would challenge them with this if asked.

Actually what was questioned at out last inspection was our 'loose leaved' register. I print the sheets off every half term andthey are kept in a zipped ring binder. She saiid they should be in a bound book, so no one could 'rip' out a page and 'loose' it as has happened, she said it happened once in an insurance case. SO I got very indignant and siad I found it really insulting that they were saying I wasn't trustworthy enough to keep a legal document without tampering with it and if that was what they thought I could do then I really wasn't fit to be in charge of children!!

To say nothing of the extra work they would be making for me. She can back the next day apologised, said she had spoken to her Manager and they had agreed that our format was acceptable and that she had never meant to imply that we would commit anything illegal.