Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Personnel Files

Hi all,

hoping you can help, I'm looking at updating the personnel files, and after a quick look through them, they dont appear to be in any sort of order and definatley no consistancy (espcially for the older members of staff) , can you kind folks out there tell me what should they contain.

is there a set critera for ofsted?

Thanks

MK5698

Funnily enough this is what I am looking at, at the moment. We also have a mis-mash of what's in there and as you say it depends on the length of service and I'm hoping that's taken into account with Ofsted?

We have

Orginial application form

interview notes

2 References (this is for the newer members of staff but some of our staff are over 10yrs service and were just taken on as willing people in the days when you could!)

Signed copy of contract

Signed confidentiality policy

Signed induction list

copies of qualifications - not sure if this is the right place but really don't want yet another file!

copies of any correspondance given eg change of hours/rate of pay

Would be interested to hear of what else other people have

medical declaration form and update of same.... (this Ofsted asked to see when they last came!)

and in front of folder a list of the CRB information... cannot fully remember what it contained now but was just a page with things like, name, date of application, number on application form, date of returned CRB, number on CRB form, job offered.. and a signature on end of who did the checks and offered the job.. No CRB or copies to be kept at all, but the information taken was asked for by Ofsted.

Long term staff just had as much as we could have in the folder... and we added an information form for them as there were no application forms etc.. this gave us some of the details on the application form like full name, address.. Next of Kin ( always felt I needed this in case of accident at work.. needed to know who to contact) qualifications.. etc..

Yes, contact details for another family member (next of kin can freak people out a bit) Full name and address. Date of starting and any agreements made (like 'I can't stay after 3') my observations of them and their appraisal notes

I've just been going through staff files too, and we don't have a health declaration at all for some staff who have been employed for ages. Can I just ask (before I give staff more forms to fill in), where it is stated that the health declaration needs to be updated annually? Everyone on here seems to know so much, and I seem to be missing things...good job I joined!!

dont think it actually states that in detail, but on our inspection the inspector asked how we ensured staff were suitable and remained suitable to do the job.. the health declaration came as part of this check - and she did ask to see one,

it was something they all had a real 'bee in their bonnet' about a while ago now and in our area the LEA gave us a health declaration form and made sure we had all done it as there were a lot of groups without them having actions put on their report to ensure they were sufficient checks in place to ensure staff remained suitable.. had our LEA not been so on the ball we could have had a problem too..

I had a bit disagreement with some of the questions and how staff could easily lie on them as we had to include alcohol, smoking and substance use on the form.. reply was so long as it was there and we had asked the question it was then staffs responsibility if they had not been truthful .. spent ages disputing this at the time but gave in for an easy life..

now we cannot ask health questions on application forms , I still feel it is important to know about staff health issues to be able to care for their needs the same as we do the children..and updating annually just checks we are not missing something which may have changed over the year..

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, will get onto the health declaration forms, I had to complete one for Ofsted when i took over has senior in September, I dont think i will need one so in depth for all staff.

also thanks for the list, i have all that info in there but not any particular order link i will draw up pro-forma make sure everything is in the same order, I have two members of staff that have been employed since year dot... well 15-20 years anyway so no interview notes, or application forms etc..

I seem to have bits of info in loads of files.. like

a training file with all certificates in for all staff even previous members no longer employed..

a crb folder with all crb info (only number and dates) but for all committee past and present and also staff..

would things like this be better all in their own files or kept seperate??

We have one filing cabinet which is bursting at the seams with papers then a large floor to ceiling cupboard also full of A4 folders with paperwork in, the previous senior told me if she was in doubt what to do with something she just started a new file and filed it!!!! now i have to sort through it all but really dont know what i need to keep and what can be recycled!

any help would be appreciated..

thanks MK5698

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, will get onto the health declaration forms, I had to complete one for Ofsted when i took over has senior in September, I dont think i will need one so in depth for all staff.

also thanks for the list, i have all that info in there but not any particular order link i will draw up pro-forma make sure everything is in the same order, I have two members of staff that have been employed since year dot... well 15-20 years anyway so no interview notes, or application forms etc..

I seem to have bits of info in loads of files.. like

a training file with all certificates in for all staff even previous members no longer employed..

a crb folder with all crb info (only number and dates) but for all committee past and present and also staff..

would things like this be better all in their own files or kept seperate??

We have one filing cabinet which is bursting at the seams with papers then a large floor to ceiling cupboard also full of A4 folders with paperwork in, the previous senior told me if she was in doubt what to do with something she just started a new file and filed it!!!! now i have to sort through it all but really dont know what i need to keep and what can be recycled!

any help would be appreciated..

thanks MK5698

I have exactly the same situation, and paperwork for people I've never even heard of! My committee chair has suggested that I "take ownership" of the filing cabinet, which I think means "sort it out"!!

hi :o

Ive just updated my staff files, and i had a continuous professional development form in mine, which listed any course and training staff go on since not all provide certificates, along with the date. I just added a new form which im recording any articles or information or publications i give them, or ask them to order from teacher net to keep up to date, since not all staff want to do the uni courses etc, this is a way of ensuring they are keeping up with best practice.

Ali x

Hi we have a personal file for each member of staff and any present volunteer helpers/ students.

In each one are:

1. Personal information form including address, any medical needs, emergency contact details, next of kin, NI number.

2. Job Description for role.

3. Contract of employment/ signed.

3. References.

4. A training sheet which is updated as and when.

5. Copies of any training certificates.

6. Any appraisal sheets.

This is all stored in a personal manilla folder with the CRB disclosure number on the front.

All previous staff folders/ volunteer folders are kept separetly in a box file.

All committee disclosure details are kept in a seperate folder, and updated as and when.

Have to say we are also bursting at the seams with historic data, but am also aware that certain evidence does have to kept for a long period of time.

sigh sigh sigh. xD

Don't have health declaration forms i have to say but i'm sure Ofsted will kindly tell us if we should have.

[smiles with glee]. :o

My staff files were bursting at the seams. There are only 7 of us but except for one the rest of us have been there for 12-20 years and even that one is now 5 years, so you can imagine!! I now have a training file that states all staff training and contains ant certificates etc and one that contains all personal stuff, appraisals etc. I also keep a copy of their personal details containing next of kin, emergency contact etc with the childrens registration forms in the register so I can just grab and run in the event of an emergency evacuation. Other stuff is now just stored in our storage shed up on high!!

I do have a copy of a retention of records givne to me by my PSLA DW if anyone wants a copy

I got this health declaration form off here:

health_declaration_form.doc

We also have a signed form saying they have read the employee handbook, and the booklet of policies and procedures. We give these out with the handbook/policy book and they then sign and return. I'm hoping this is in their staff files but I keep well away from filing as my approach to that in normal life is to create one large pile and hope I don't miss anything vital. But as I'm chair I can safely say it's not my department!

But as previously discussed on here, much of this is paperwork for paperwork's sake, no one is going to admit to this stuff so essentially it is just back covering for your setting.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is a reason, legal requirement or something, why we need to ask staff in a health declaration about alcohol and drug use?

I took Inge's form (tweaked a bit) to my staff meeting last night, as I have no health declarations for any of the staff. There was a near riot, with one member of staff refusing to fill it in, and another backing her. I ended up taking the forms back and telling staff I will look into the specific requirements. I want to make sure I have everything in place that Ofsted require, and I know Ofsted asked me these questions in my suitable person interview so they must think it is important.

Help!

All I know is at our last inspection they asked about them.. all part of continuing suitable persons check...

but this was before Tribal took over so may be different now... I would email them and ask for advice on what is needed - ( and I expect they will say whatever you feel is suitable... sitting on the fence as usual...)

maybe someone who has had a recent inspection could help..

reflect on what you do to ensure staff remain suitable for the job... and record that .... will ensure you are aware of the need... afterall people do change over time..

it probably depends on the ofsted inspector but all we were asked was to show her proof of CRB's checks.

we do have

health declarations

CRB numbers

n.i numbers

names and addresses of staff and next of kin

qualification certificates

induction forms (for newer staff)

Hi,

We ask staff to update their medical information files annually, also we ask them to sign to say that 'nothing has happened in the past twelve months that would affect their suitability to work with children'.

This is part of our safeguarding policy/procedure, we were asked about this at our recent inspection by Tribal.The question was something like 'How do you monitor the staff's continuing suitability to work with children?'

I dont think that this a statutory requirement, but it shows good practice and that the manager is proactive in ensuring that children are kept safe.

None of my staff have objected to filling in these forms they are aware that they are confidential and only I have sight of them.

Julie

• 1 month later...

Can I also ask....

where do any committee managed pre-schools keep these records?

I think they should be confidentially/securely kept on the premises (because OFSTED said they should be instantly accessible at the last inspection).

Yet Committee Chair says that it is not down to the Supervisor to have access to these records and she should keep them in her home.

What is she's working when OFSTED arrive and can't bring them to the pre-school?

I would be interested to hear what other do/think and whether there is any 'official' note I could refer the Chair to!

Thanks,

We sort of have the same problem, although it's not committee that keep our Staff records it's the Leader.

As we have no place at work to keep the records I keep them in a locked box at home.

Sometime ago (probably 4yrs) my LEA advisor told me that whilst it wasn't ideal it shouldnt be a problem and when Ofsted turn up just tell them that you will bring them the next day.

However that advisor has now left, plus things seem to be less flexible and from what I'm hearing Ofsted don't come 'the next day' much anymore it's done in 1 day.

I think it maybe time to make space at work :o

in my last inspection mrs o went through all our files checked for appraisals/training/crb record and evidence that we were doing interview and recruitment process properly....so all this would need to be on site (in a locked cabinet!)

in my last inspection mrs o went through all our files checked for appraisals/training/crb record and evidence that we were doing interview and recruitment process properly....so all this would need to be on site (in a locked cabinet!)

I would second that as one who has been 'done' this week! :o

Can't imagine that it would have gone quite so well if documents/files/folders were not at my setting xD I'm not sure what your 'set up' is thumper - but we had just one morning.......she did say that she would only come back for a second day if she couldn't witness and/or access everything that she needed.........