Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Photo Developing

Do any of you take your photos off site to develop? Our playleader seems to recall being told we cant take the memory card to Boots or wherever due to safeguarding issues. The pogo printer is great but is costing us a fortune and I was wondering if outside would be cheaper as well as quicker when I forget to order more pogo papers!

I tend to take the memory card home and do them on my printer, otherwise we end up getting them done at the end of half term and have hundreds to sift through. Plus it costs a small fortune doing it at Boots for us (probably because they don't get developed often enough!)

I bring ours home and print off on home printer

as lots of times photos needed for displays or profiles next day

Checked with Ofsted inspector when here and she Ok d it

I too used to print them off sat home onto large A4 size label so cut and stick into books...

had this in our photo policy so parents knew how the pictures were to be handled, kept, stored etc.

Our Adsa has a machine where you can print them off yourself using a cd or usb stick.. anywhere locally that would allow you to do something similar.. then you would have control of them.

Thats what i'd intended Inge, to print them from the machines in store but playleader seems to think its not allowed. If its not then a common sense approach to this has vanished.

as they will be in your control then I see no issue with it... not like you are leaving them for others to print off ..

we all used to hand in these films for developing so a great improvement on that...

not seen anything that says we cannot do this.. do you have a photo policy stating how they will be dealt with... if not time for one or adapting it..

dare I raise the word risk assess?? *runs and hides*

dare I raise the word risk assess?? *runs and hides*

Come on out Inge :o

I will write a risk assessment and take it in and show it to the playleader, staff and leave it for the DW to view incase the suggestion came from her.

I too used to print them off sat home onto large A4 size label so cut and stick into books...

had this in our photo policy so parents knew how the pictures were to be handled, kept, stored etc.

This is exactly what I do too.....

I'm not sure why your playleader thinks there would be a problem anyway.......ask her 'where this is written'........can you tell that I have used that line before! :o

have returned and out of hiding....

do wonder where this came from.. another one of those rumours that become a myth that turn into reality..

i can understand if leaving them.. but I do remember a time when we just posted films to be developed and returned.. how times change.. without the digital camera we would still be doing it :o

do wonder where this came from.. another one of those rumours that become a myth that turn into reality..

xD

Very likely or our over zealous DW has made a suggestion. Playleader is very lovely and competent but does occassionally take to heart advice.

I've done a risk assessment, main points are...Memory card will only be taken if we run out of ink or paper. Only be taken to someones home or somewhere like Boots, only be taken by someone with a CRB for our setting and returned as soon as possible.

I love the pogo printer, I love the EYFS but together they are costing us small fortune in ink and paper. Pity there isnt funding especially for those things. :o

Just a question where do you stand with the ICO as we all have to be registered with them now when using any form of digitial media including printing off photos even if you delete them straight away. Are you covered when you take them home?

I dont know just wondering!

well I want to add my twopenarth....... (not that we even take ours anywhere to be printed)

that is- if you use the machines in tescos - well our local ones - you can't accidently leave the card in the machine. You have to remove the card before the photos are printed. That has to cut a few risks!

cant afford to print off at pre-school so take the card to a self service machine and do them there... i have thought very carefully about child protection and cannot see any reason why this is not ok..the photos are always in my possession and probably are as safe there as they are on a computer!

My parents are perfectly aware that photos are 'developed' on my home PC (password protected) they all sign to indicate that they have read and agree with this.......

Not sure if I am being terribly naive here........feel free to say....yes you are.........but what is the worst that could happen if you lost your memory card (Havennursery)......

What does ICO stand for? Not heard of that or the registering for digital media.

I think it is the Information Commissioner for Data protection... but provided you have a policy saying how the media will be stored and protected in your care it would be Ok..

that is what it is about how you store and protect data.. when I did it there were no hard and fast rules, just need to set your own and risk assessment would be one way to add to this.

I

think it is the Information Commissioner for Data protection... but provided you have a policy saying how the media will be stored and protected in your care it would be Ok..

that is what it is about how you store and protect data.. when I did it there were no hard and fast rules, just need to set your own and risk assessment would be one way to add to this.

Yes it is Information for data protection and basically if you store any childrens details on a pc/use a digitial camera and print the photos off etc you have to register with them. There has been a lot of debate around this with local childminders as its more money to find on an annual basis but you have to be registered or could get a lovely big fine.

If in any doubt give them a ring.

have you checked this information with your LEA advisors? i'm not sure that this is necessary ? if you have proof could you please supply it Thanks! (and not just from the agency as they will obviously tell you you have to)

Yes it was our local LEA that sent out the information I had already heard that we had to do this but was playing dumb then after christmas we had a nice letter telling us it was mandatory and an offence not too. :o

http://www.nurseryworld.co.uk/news/725085/...DCMP=ILC-SEARCH

this should be a link to a nursery worlsd article about this.

Edited by Tink69

I,m sure there isn't, but I wish there was some sort of group scheme for registering with the ICO? It seems onerous to place this responsibility on every sole trader. Perhaps NCMA or PSLA could take up the collective cover?

Well....a girl can dream.

Honey

AS far as i know anyone who keeps any form of data on others be it photographs or otherwise adults or children is required to register with them (ICO) It's £35 per annum and I'm pretty sure it's illegal not too. Unfortunately I cant remember where or how I first found this out, have been registering with them for a few years now.

Well I've just read the link you posted Rea and we too are a non profit organisation, so now I am wondering if I really need to do so. However for the sake of £35 I think I will continue register as I am still a little concerned esp about the first exemption:

The exemption applies to processing which is only for the purposes of:

• establishing or maintaining membership;

Not sure how the records we hold on adults in the group or photographs of the children could be classed as the above?

Back again, have just done the SA questions on the site and it very quickly established that YES we do need to notify, despite being a non profit reg charity. If you are involved in education then you cannot be exempt. I suppose one could argue that that perhaps they were childcare rather then an educational establishment???? However if you do not keep any data on a computer then you do not need to register.

Edited by lynned55

what is the worst that could happen if you lost your memory card (Havennursery).....?

I dont want to sound rude but do you not see on the news the kind of things that can happen. Im sure you all follow your correct procedures and have parental signurtures. But you can never be 100% trustworthy with your staff can you????..........I dont mean to sound rude honestly but just thinking of everything for best practice

So it looks like no-one has been told by LEA, DWs or other advisors, that they cant take the memory card to a shop.

It will probbaly never happen, but I asked because the staff have loads of printing to do and we are still waiting for the papers for the pogo to arrive.

As chair, its up to me to have confidence in the staff, and I do. I'd trust any one of them with my children for as long as they wanted to keep them, so have no problem with allowing them to take the memory card off the premises if it was needed.

If it was lost I would rate the risk of it being found and taken to a developing shop just for a look as minimal. We dont have any children at present who cant be identified for any reason and as you say sunnyday they will be fully clothed anyway.

I'll take the risk assessment in at some point and see if the staff are happy with it, obviously I wont demand they take the card if they're not happy to do so, I just wanted clarification on what others have been told. Seems it might be one of those myths becoming fact again :o

Am watching this post with interest and have to say i have had this very discussion with a couple of my team members today. Why are you so concerned about where these photographs are printed off.

Surely if your duty of care, and permission has been granted from parent /carers i really don't understand the issue you are trying to raise. [ what could be in these photographs that is not appropriate].

No photos in the changing areas, bathrooms of course, or any children where their security would be compromised.

Lets remember in the cases you have identified and the failings discovered this went way beyond the use of photographs, and maybe this is your real concern.

The wonderful photographs captured alongside lots of other methods give a pictorial history of a child's early years to share and celebrate with them and their parents, yes lets be ever cautious but have clear strict guidelines within your provision of acceptable shots and those that are not.

Sorry rant over. :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)