Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Photo Developing

Am watching this post with interest and have to say i have had this very discussion with a couple of my team members today. Why are you so concerned about where these photographs are printed off.

Surely if your duty of care, and permission has been granted from parent /carers i really don't understand the issue you are trying to raise. [ what could be in these photographs that is not appropriate].

No photos in the changing areas, bathrooms of course, or any children where their security would be compromised.

Lets remember in the cases you have identified and the failings discovered this went way beyond the use of photographs, and maybe this is your real concern.

The wonderful photographs captured alongside lots of other methods give a pictorial history of a child's early years to share and celebrate with them and their parents, yes lets be ever cautious but have clear strict guidelines within your provision of acceptable shots and those that are not.

Sorry rant over. xD

Well said bridger! :o

You carry on ranting Bridger.

Honestly I sometimes feel I'm wrong when really I'm just not reacting in the same knee jerking way the media thinks we should.

"What if"... It makes me feel tired to my bones.

Have just had a read and was scared as hadn't heard of this but the quote below makes me think we don't need to be registered

A small group of pupils are photographed during a science lesson and the

photo is to be used in the school prospectus. This will be personal data but will

not breach the Act as long as the children and/or their guardians are aware this

is happening and the context in which the photo will be used

This is from

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/lib..._v3.0_final.pdf

It's my understanding - and I'm sorry to hijack the thread slightly, but you need to be registered with the Information Commissioner (Data Protection) to hold ANY electronic material about the children in your care, or their families, such as registers which show dates of birth, full names, addresses, phone numbers etc. Any 'private' information which is recoverable electronically ie on pen drives, disks etc as well as on hard drives.

Cait is right, as I have already stated in my previous post, it is not just photographs that require you to register but any electronic data you hold.

I take my memory card off the premises to print. Print from home sometimes but also upload images to online printers (yes I delete them when I have got them) I find this is a fairly good fundraiser at times, if you can catch any special offers going. I also have another member of staff that prints from home sometimes. As Rea says I trust them, I have to if I didn't trust them to print form home etc then I wouldn't want to have them working for me. No one could do anything with the images anyway and it is in no way comparable to the recent case in Plymouth. Parents sign a photo consent form when their child starts and we also have within our mobile phone and other recording equipment polcy that 'other cameras ' maybe used but with the managers discretion. Or words to that effect.

Suebear what you are quoting is on the use/taking of photographs in school NOT the use or storing of data. The ICO states quite clearly that if you are in education you are not exempt. It's quite easy to find out go to their website and answer the 9 SA questions. This will then tell you if you need to register or not. For the record. My group is a committee run, voluntary registered charity that takes children from the age of 2 - 5 years and we HAVE to be registered with the ICO.

So it looks like no-one has been told by LEA, DWs or other advisors, that they cant take the memory card to a shop.

Yes it should be ok as shops are registered already. You should have a RA in place.

We have been told by our LEA all about this and it has to be done I wouldn't like to get a hefty fine maybe you should ring your LEA to check!! Even if you delete photos as soon as printed you have to be registered or keep any form of electronic data.

Edited by Tink69

Thanks lynned55 for your comments. I have spoken to my Committee who say As a not-for-profit organisation we are exempt as covered by question 8 in the questionnaire, don't want to be stealing the thread but am I the only setting who's not registered with them???

Hello all, I spoke to the ICO several years ago and again last week and told them exactly what information we keep, including storage of photos on disc (in case we need copies) and they stated that as a not for profit, charity registered, committee run playgroup we do not need to be registered! Raised the question with the LA (Glos) who said that they had just become aware of it and are only informing settings 'just in case', they are not insisting that we have to be registered.

As for photos, we use an online site which is password protected and delete photos as soon as we are emailed to say they are on their way. our policy states this and also states that photos are never uploaded to networking sites, all parents have signed to say they are happy with our procedures. Printing them off in house or at home was just too expensive!

Well maybe I keep different data to others but Ionly get as far as this

Q4 ARE YOU PROCESSING PERSONAL DATA FOR ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PURPOSES?

One of the purposes given is Education another would be Trading and Sharing in Personal Information.

Surely this is what we are doing when writing reports or doing transition docs? Doesn't matter if you are deleting the info afterwards, you just need to create it on a electronic medium

So I answer yes and am then told I need to notify. I also spoke to them a few years back and told them what infor we held etc, etc and was told that yes we did need to register?I may give them a ring again. Although for the sake of £35 I dont fancy being prosecuted!!

To be honest, I don't see what difference being or having charitable status should matter. If you are handling data, you are handling data and need to do it to a set of guidelines which keep everyone's details safe and therefore should be registered. Can charities do what they like with their data - no. So it's just a question of cost for charities that's fine don't charge them, but they should still be registered.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)