Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

21? Areas Of Learning

Hi everyone.

This is my first post on the website, so sorry if this has been mentioned before. I was in a meeting recently and an LEA advisor mentioned 'the 21 areas of learning' when disucussing activity areas in the classroom. I obviously know about the 6 areas, but believe she was talking about sand area, construction etc. Therefore, does anyone know where I could get hold of a list of these areas to make sure they are all available in our Foundation Area.

Thanks, Clare. :o

Welcome Clare! You have really got me there as I have not heard that before and I am wracking my brains trying to think what they could be? Mind you a friend refered to the Principles into Practice Cards as PIP cards yesterday and I had not heard that term either so perhaps I am not the best person to post but just thought I would let you know you are not alone!

Lorna

Do you mean the aspects? I think there are 28 of those. This is a good game. :o

My immediate thought was aspects but yes there are 28 of those

PSED 6

CLL 6

PSRN 3

KUW 6

PD 3

CD 4

Wouldn't sand, construction and others such as role-play, malleable etc etc all be within an aspect/area?

Really intrigued now and hope someone can come up with 21!

Ah the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything - who could forget!

I'm trying to think how many points there are in the Foundations Stage Profile - going for a look now .......

Well don't be long.......the suspense is killing me! :o

Oh quick edit to say........hi and welcome Clare!

Edited by sunnyday

Ah the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything - who could forget!

I'm trying to think how many points there are in the Foundations Stage Profile - going for a look now .......

only 13 on the eProfile!!!!

Lorna

Well this is a good game. I tried to cheat and google it, and the only real reference I found was a link to 21 signs for classroom areas, which is on , who would believe it, the sparkebox site. Given that most LEA's banned sparklebox use, wouldn't it be sweet justice if these were the 21 areas she was talking about!!

Frankly, I'd just give her a call and ask exactly what is she referring to, stating that she has stumped all of us on the forum.

I remember our authority giving us a list of areas that should be planned for over a week in an early years setting, but can't find the list, and can't remember if it was the magic 21.

Things like listening area, investigation, small world, mark making, etc etc

I have just had a count up of our 'areas' and if i include snack time area we have 21 areas available. I could really cheat and include the toilets as well, that would make 22.(well they do have to learn independence in there :o xxx

OH! do tell us what the 21 are pleeeeeeeaaasssseeee xD

Oh my goodness, this is definitely someting to swith your brain on on a Satirday morning!! What could they have meant?

I was thinking classroom areas and thought straightaway of the Sparklebox signs! Let's see...

writing, maths, role play, sand, water, listening, computer, construction, investigation, malleable, games, small world, books, outdoor, snack, creative, modelling, art (which by the way I kind of think art could be included in the creative?!) if you include cloakroom and toilets then that's... 20!!!!!!!!!! What's the 21st area?

I don't actually have all these areas seperately - does anyone??

Oh my goodness, this is definitely someting to swith your brain on on a Satirday morning!! What could they have meant?

I was thinking classroom areas and thought straightaway of the Sparklebox signs! Let's see...

writing, maths, role play, sand, water, listening, computer, construction, investigation, malleable, games, small world, books, outdoor, snack, creative, modelling, art (which by the way I kind of think art could be included in the creative?!) if you include cloakroom and toilets then that's... 20!!!!!!!!!! What's the 21st area?

I don't actually have all these areas seperately - does anyone??

there would be no room for anyone to have them separately.. and as you said some of those are the same but with different names.. to me creative and modelling are the same..

how about gross motor play.. bikes / climbing frame etc..

Inge

ok here goes

sand, water, books, listening, painting, craft, malleable, sm world, construction, home, role play, babies, music n sound, computer, investigation, mark making, snacks, outside, fine motor, gross motor and cooking.

All these areas are set up for every session except cooking which we try to do once a week, but I could count the toilets instead :o xxx

Nope I don't know what it is! I've got the 17 areas we have. Is there a prize for the one who gets closest?

water

creative

malleable investigation

sand

maths

puzzles

snack area

home corner

mark making

music

small world

small construction

large construction

book area

computer

role play

outdoor area

painting area

Thanks to everyone who replied. It certainly is a brain-teaser! I will ask her next time she's in school. Maybe I could be a little smug and reply - "Don't you mean the 28 aspects Mrs EYC?" Anyway, we have devised our own list of 21 areas - hoping that the next random number outof the hat is higher than this!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)