Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New Government Education Funding

JacquieL

Have to say I don't actually understand the comment on commitment "to increase in free entitlement to 15 hrs", which is then followed by something along the lines of "targeted at the most vulnerable".

Does this mean yes to 15 hrs but only for those most vulnerable????

Would be nice to know as need to let parents know!!! Here we all go again, being expected to run businesses with our hands tied behind our backs.

As ever Gove, another easily misinterpreted bit of spin.

Here is the text of an email I've just sent to the Department (having had no response to my email to Sarah Teather when her appointment was announced):-

In his letter to Ed Balls dated 7th June 2010, Michael Gove stated that "we are also able to proceed with the increase in the early years entitlement for 3 and 4 year olds to fifteen hours, and we'll be making sure that this reaches vulnerable groups who will benefit most".

Does this mean that the 15 hour entitlement will no longer be universal? With five weeks until the end of this term there is still much confusion about the flexible entitlement, and Michael Gove's comments appear to add to this confusion at a time when we need clarity and leadership.

Please could you confirm that the 15 hour entitlement will be delivered to all eligible three and four year olds in September, and not just those perceived to be 'in need'.

Let's see what the mandarins have to say!

Maz

Here is the text of an email I've just sent to the Department (having had no response to my email to Sarah Teather when her appointment was announced):-

In his letter to Ed Balls dated 7th June 2010, Michael Gove stated that "we are also able to proceed with the increase in the early years entitlement for 3 and 4 year olds to fifteen hours, and we'll be making sure that this reaches vulnerable groups who will benefit most".

Does this mean that the 15 hour entitlement will no longer be universal? With five weeks until the end of this term there is still much confusion about the flexible entitlement, and Michael Gove's comments appear to add to this confusion at a time when we need clarity and leadership.

Please could you confirm that the 15 hour entitlement will be delivered to all eligible three and four year olds in September, and not just those perceived to be 'in need'.

Let's see what the mandarins have to say!

Maz

Well done Maz. Definitely open to interpretation and as we know we have to watch the 'slippery' wording from politicians. Let's hope they reply soon. Our CC has had to take on extra staff from September to cover the 15 hours so obviously we eagerly await the answer to this question.

“able to proceed with the increase in the early years entitlement for three and four year olds to fifteen hours and we’ll be making sure that this reaches vulnerable groups who will benefit most.”

the word 'all ' is missing from "entitlement for three and four year olds"

Of course we could be misjudging them and they just mean that they will take action to ensure that vulnerable groups are reached, as well as all children having the entitlement. Watch this space!

Ah well done Maz....let's wait and see if they bother to reply.

Well they say they aim to reply to enquiries within 15 days so let's see!

Maz

Hi all

I am going to County on Thursday this week for this very reason. So come on everyone tell us what we are supposed to be doing, so we can advise staff, committee and of course most importantly parent/carers. It isn't very professional when we don't even know whats going on ourselves.

Hey ho watch this space.

Hi all

I am going to County on Thursday this week for this very reason. So come on everyone tell us what we are supposed to be doing, so we can advise staff, committee and of course most importantly parent/carers. It isn't very professional when we don't even know whats going on ourselves.

Hey ho watch this space.

Absolutely!

I have a meeting lined up for July - hopeless really - I have had to make all of my decisions with regard to September already and just feel that we are working 'in the dark' xD guess I should be used to this by now! :(:o

• 1 month later...

I had a letter last week stating our EY team would be sending out details of the 15 hours 'beofre the end of the summer term'. Well, I havent had anything, so we will be allocating places in exactly the same way as usual and carrying on as normal.

I tried to look on the web site for the EY team, see if there was any info I could use, want to see what Birmingham have to offer online?

Birmingham childcare :o

Thats helpful then!

Thanks jamjim, doesnt tell me much though ddoes it? I need to know if funding is affected if we cant offer 15 hours or if we cant do 3 hourly sessions. Probably we can carry on as we are, but it would be nice to know beofe Sept.

I'm a bit confused. has something happened to the 15 hours? We are in a nursery in a maintained school and have been doing 15 hours all this year. Is it changing again???

No, it hasn't changed, but for those of us who haven't been part of the pilot we are a bit uncertain of the small print especially when some Local Authorities still haven't made it explicit to settings in terms of what they can charge for and what they can't.

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)