Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Today Has Arrived..

narnia

Today I am off to Heathrow to send my son off to his new life.......and new wife.......in America. I know this is a huge step for him, and of course I am happy that he has met someone he clearly adores and who adores him too, but I can't fight back the odd tear that finds itself in the corner of my eye..........

Hi,

I can't imagine how you must feel but will be thinking of you and your family during today. At least with modern technology it's much easier to keep in contact.

Nicky Sussex

What a huge step for you, I remember leaving my son miles away in Edinburgh where he was to be at Uni for 4 years, when he was just 18. He looked so small and vulnerable and brave - and I was fine until Zebedee said "Are you ok?" and put his hand on my leg, when we wee about halfway home!

As Nicky says, it's easy to keep in touch nowadays, my son has sent me a text every night he's been away, saying "Night Mum xxx" (or Morning if he forgot!)

My daughter left home in dribs and drabs and now lives in North Yorkshire.

If you're used to him being around 'underfoot' like I was with my son after the long summer break, then It makes it worse I think. Plunge yourself into stuff like clearing his room of detritus to make it presentable for a "Great Aunt Susan" coming to stay and a week will have gone by before you realise!

You must have very mixed emotions today and I guess he will have too.

When this sort of thing is going on I struggle to imagine it happening and then when it's all over I realise I was able to cope after all. I know you'll be the sort of mum who is making it as easy as possible for him and I'm sure he'll be grateful for that.

I hope you'll have lots of wine/chocolate/hugs etc ready for you when you get home.

but I can't fight back the odd tear that finds itself in the corner of my eye..........

Don't even try narnia - you'll feel better for a good weep. I hope you are able today to find some time to celebrate the fact that you've done such a good job on your son that he is going out into the big wide world to make a life for himself.

But can you do me a favour? If my dear son goes off to Uni later this year could you re-post this to remind me to look on the bright side please? :o

Seriously, take care of yourself - and keep the tissues at hand!

Maz x

Hi Narnia,

You poor thing (big cuddle for you)I really feel for you because I have just one son who is 18 and may or may not be going to uni this year!! I have panic attacks just thinking of this and he wont be leaving the country!! Try to think about how exciting it must be for him and what a great time he will have. Start saving up and treat yourself to a trip out there! The next few days will be hard but you will feel better about it all and like others have send it is easy to keep in touch now! Take care,Unsworth

Was beginning to feel a little self indulgent today and sorry for myself over a work issue - not anymore - still have 2 of my boys at home and one that lives a few minutes away - I am very lucky.

(((((((())))))))) and xxxxxxxxxxx

Guest mukerjee1

You must have done a brilliant job for him to be so confident to start again in a different country. Well done!

Take care.

I filled up when I read your message but re-echo everyone else's words - what a great job you have done for this confident young man.

I struggled all summer before my daughter went to uni, 250 miles away, but it was fine, and we skyped a lot, I still miss her sunny smile and chat so much. Was braver when my son went to uni in September, 20 miles away (but he lives in halls) - found it harder with him because he keeps popping home, which I love, but then he 'goes away' more regularly too!

I am sure I love my two (too much) and exactly the same, but is there something about mothers and their sons????? I would never admit it of course.

You may make a more concentrated effort to keep in touch than if he lived in this country.

But I really feel for you, have a good cry, that may help.

Narnia, these seem particularly apt.............

"There are two lasting bequests we can give our children. One is roots. The other is wings." ~Hodding Carter, Jr.

"When you have brought up kids, there are memories you store directly in your tear ducts." ~Robert Brault,

sending BIG hugs,

Nona x

HUGE HUGS from me xD

In the past I have shared my roller coaster emotions over my sons departures and trips to Heathrow and the wonderful messages by way of reply were a real help. Just to know that I wasn't actually some sort or emotional wreck and all my feelings were OK was a great source of comfort - they came from the many fantastic supportive members here.

I hope that you too find all these messages help in someway on what I know is a particularly difficult day for you.

I have tears in my eyes as I type this and your pain is almost tangible. I know deep down inside how it hurt when I stood at the departure gate, oblivious to the milling crowds and both my son and myself in tears, the long and lonely walk back to the car park and the journey home etc. and yet mingled in my tears of utter sadness were tears of pride in the man my son has become, tears of joy for him to be able to realise a dream and tears because .. well just lots of tears!!

I can only begin to imagine how you feel as mine were only going for a year or so not actually emigrating BUT the only advice I can think of is not to focus on the 'gone forever' element. He is your son forever and America is not that far away. Grab every bit of technology hand on to those stretching 'elastic apron strings' and give yourself a big pat on the back for being a superb mum and bringing your son up to be confident and able to make such life choices - he is one lucky chap to have you as mum and don't forget that

Be gently on yourself and don't fight the tears, cry because you need to - take care and know you have tons of support on here :o

You should be very proud that you have brought your son up to be confident to go and live in another country, and think of the lovely times you maybe able to have visiting them both. I'll never forget an article i read once which has stayed with me, that children are only loaned to us to love and nurture and then we watch them fly.

JOB WELL DONE I'D SAY SUPER MUM

Had a blobby tear for you too.... and for me.

My daughter went off to America on Sunday, only for 3 months but it made us both cry and every time I think of my son going to uni this year I find myself in tears!!

I love the quote:

"There are two lasting bequests we can give our children. One is roots. The other is wings." ~Hodding Carter, Jr.

How true. You must have done something right to give him these wings..................

Just back from Heathrow.........................thank you for all the messages. Did I cry?? Of course........................did his dad cry?? yes and so did my great big strapping son. But we all had fat smiles and hugs and kisses for each other too. Thankyou for the quotes, I shall store them away for future use! On my return, the first email i found was a 'friends' request for facebook....................from my son, so?? More tears and another BIG fat smile xD:o

As far as I'm aware Narnia - there is many a parent who would love a "friends" request on facebook with their child - and many a child who wouldn't dream of doing it - so well done for that!

You have had some lovely messages on here today - some really helpful advice too. - I shall store some of it away myself for when my last two lads disappear off to married life and uni!

I think I shall bookmark this topic and re-read it in a few weeks when I drop my 15 year old daughter off at the Army base for a week - if she loves it and decides to join an army band it will be the first of many partings.......... :o

Keep smiling, Narnia and be proud of your parenting!

Nona