Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Crackers For Snack

Stargrower

Hi everyone

This is a really mundane question but our local Tesco has stopped selling their own brand of Tuc crackers, Cheddars etc. The branded ones cost over £1 a packet and as they are sometimes broken when we open them, this works out pretty expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions for cheaper alternative to non-sugary snacks or know where we can buy 'own brand' crackers? We do use cream crackers, bread sticks and Crackerbread but could do with some more ideas

Thanks

Beehive

Do you have any other local supermarkets?

Why not put a request in to your Tesco to start stocking them again? I've often put requests in for things that have mysteriously gone missing!

Guest jenpercy

I have to say that actually TUC crackers are NOT healthy. They are very fatty. Agreed it is better than sugar. Have you thought of pitta bread so that you can add cucumber and tomatoes for health

We use mini toasts from our local 99p shop. They come in a large bag containing hundreds (might be slight exaggeration!) and guess what - they are only 99p!

Excellent value, can be eaten with or without toppings and reasonably healthy. Added bonus is that all the children love them !!

Ruth

we have a tupperware cracker box which has a selection of crackers that you find in any crackers for cheese selection, all different shapes, sizes etc, so supports PSRN as well.

Guest jenpercy

Why not with milk. children need a certain amount of fats etc. Actually the sugar and salt in breakfast cereal is all that makes it taste of anything at all

Yeah, I'm not so keen on the TUC crackers either. For their SALT content as much as the fat which I don't think is such a prob for the littlies. Bit concerned that cheaper biscuits contain cocoa butter-bad for environment, and transfats - very bad for health.

Fe

different types of bread, ours used to love trying them all out.. nan, pitta, anything really.. toast ,muffins ,crumpets they didn't seem to mind it was often cold when they got it..

fruit as well we had both..

we felt children needed some form of carbohydrate at this time as well as the fruit.. some of ours we know had no breakfast..

we did also try to keep the salt content as low as we could.. some of the cheesy /tuc ones were very high.. these were out treats!

Inge

for morning snack we have half a piece of fruit and half of something eg. crumpet, pancake, toast, muffin or yoghurt or cereal. something different for each day for morning snack.

Afternoon snacks are, cheese and crackers, veg sticks and dip, mini pittas with ham and salad, cocktail sticks with cheese, sausage and pineapple, fruit loaf, or whatever the children made after lunch :)

we dont use tuc or ritz due to the salt content (although have to say i love them), and we do occasionally try other things if im out shopping and i see something thats on offer that the children may like i will pick it up and see how it goes.

Ali

Just to throw a different angle into the mix, pretty much everything sweet you offer will have either sugar or fruit sugar in it, pretty much everything savoury you offer will have at least some salt in it.

When my niece was two she lived solely on olives for the entire length of a 2 week holiday (it was the only thing she would touch) and she seems to have survived the trauma.

My vote would go for a mix of things offered, we include stuff like olives and pepperami which have salt in them, but we also offer loads of different types of fruits.

I think there's a danger that we turn ourselves into food police and become part of the nanny state. If you make anything a no go area, it becomes instantly more attractive to children.

But then again I am the evil squash giver!! :o Well, we did a survey and the parents said they would like us to offer it especially in hot weather. We either want parental input or we don't.

Wow Thanks for all your replies...snack seems to generate lots of ideas and opinions. There's lots to think about. I love Cupcake's idea about a selection of crackers in a box.

Also I agree with those who kind of said 'everything in moderation'!! We don't provide a low fat diet for our children or particularly worry about the amount of fat in the foods we serve (within reason obviously). We do take note of salt and sugar in food and ensure we provide lots of fresh fruit and veg. But as SuzieC8 suggests - we do have to make it taste good enough to eat!

Thanks again for all your ideas

Beehive

I've just bought lots of Sainsbury's crackers like the ones you mention. They come in a double pack for 54p. We have to have these as they are on the nut free list! No luxury of what's available or on special offer for us!

Well for all of you who were concerned about snack items how about bread and jam and biscuits now and again (As suggested by our EYFSA today) :o

Rachel

Well for all of you who were concerned about snack items how about bread and jam and biscuits now and again (As suggested by our EYFSA today) xD

We offer honey or marmite (or both :o ) to have on their toast or crackers.

Maz

Can I recommend, as part of a healthy balanced diet, a ritz cracker sandwich which the children can make themselves.

They spread cream cheese on one cracker, top with a slice of apple and a segment of satsuma, top with another ritz cracker - to die for! Children love it.

You open your cracker and find a Fortune Teller Fish!

post-64-1291802773_thumb.jpg

Edited by Beau
December Quiz!

Can I recommend a big cream cake and giant bar of Galaxy???

Ha, ha.

I was at an early years conference last year-approx. 200 people and a distinguished outside speaker. I asked for the speakers thoughts on rolling snack versus 'all sit down' and a debate then ensued for approx. 30 minutes completely ruining the running time for the day!

Snack does seem to be a very emotive issue