Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bit Of A Shock

Cait

Well, "No I don't really mind" I said to my daughter, "It's just a number" when she asked how I'd feel about having a birthday card with 50 on it.

Thankfully she didn't get me one of those, but I was given a big one in church this morning with a huge 50 on it, and had to open it in front of everyone and smile and be 'happy' to have it. In reality, the glib "It's only a number" was a bit of a hit to the solar plexus, (This isn't mine is it, really?) and "How did that happen then!"

I know in reality it's all in the mind, and you're as old as you feel and all that, but sitting here with cards on the mantelpiece, four of which are saying '50' it's quite a sobering time.

Oh well, onwards and upwards - cakes to make for the Preschool children for tomorrow as a special treat!

Well, "No I don't really mind" I said to my daughter, "It's just a number" when she asked how I'd feel about having a birthday card with 50 on it.

Thankfully she didn't get me one of those, but I was given a big one in church this morning with a huge 50 on it, and had to open it in front of everyone and smile and be 'happy' to have it. In reality, the glib "It's only a number" was a bit of a hit to the solar plexus, (This isn't mine is it, really?) and "How did that happen then!"

I know in reality it's all in the mind, and you're as old as you feel and all that, but sitting here with cards on the mantelpiece, four of which are saying '50' it's quite a sobering time.

Oh well, onwards and upwards - cakes to make for the Preschool children for tomorrow as a special treat!

First of all many happy returns for tomorrow :o and Congratulations xD

Please don't be downhearted of view the '50' cards in a sobering way :( It is of course just a number and it is just another birthday buy hey it's a special one and it's lovely that those close to you have been kind and thoughtful enough to celebrate it, The church event this morning I sympathise with because I hate any sort of public fuss! My 50th was celebrated on a working day in preschool. I was given 'circle time' and presented with presents, cards and a huge chocolate cake - I did appreciate the thoughts and kindness but hated being the centre of attention.

My '50' was five years ago -no idea where that time has whizzed too as it seems like yesterday.

Please enjoy tomorrow for what it is - your birthday and your special day :( I still can't believe that I am 55 and have to stop and think!! It only seems a short time ago we celebrated my 40th and now my eldest son is 31 - it's all just numbers!!!

Try seeing the '50's in a positive light and enjoy the celebrations - sure you will have a great day in preschool tomorrow

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAIT

Gosh Cait you gave me a scare.....I thought I'd missed you from the birthday list for today! xD

I turned 50 in February and if I'm honest I'll say that I did feel some moments of panic. This was the age I used to call 'really old' and now it's my age. Don't worry about these feelings and I don't really think that anyone can say anything that will ease your misgivings.

Three months later and I'm still 50.......so what. I'm still doing the things I did when I was 49.......what a difference a day makes!

Where did the time go? It went on running your own pre-school, raising your family and simply enjoying life as you do.

Don't let it spoil your day tomorrow........enjoy your cakes with the children and we'll see if your being 50 will make the slightest bit of difference to them. :o

I've just made 50 little mars bar cakes in individual tiny bun cases for snack time treat tomorrow. Yes, it's a number (there's a worktop full of them!).

I remember when I first started work, my boss had her 50th birthday and as a 'raw' 16 year old it seemed absolutely ancient. Possibly, back then, 50 year olds were 'older' than our 50 year olds - if that makes any sense?

They say 50 is the new 40 - perhaps that's the angle I should be using :o

Panic, panic, panic..........I haven't posted your card at all :( how did your birthday come round again so fast? :o

50 is the new 30 (not 40) - promise it's nothing to worry about! :(

Best I visit moonpig a bit swiftly then! xD

Happy birthday to you.

Interesting thread for those of us who are past a certain age......Perhaps we should have a dedicated post 40 or post 50 forum!!

I too remember always being the young one at work, and it's a very sobering thought that those days are long gone. However, I am following the 50 is the new 30 line of thinking, which now makes me still in my twenties!! Great thought! Sad the mirror doesn't seem to know it!

Happy Birthday to you ~ Happy Birthday to you ~ Happy Birthday dear Cait _ Happy birthday to you" :o

When I turned 50 I can remember being told "you've got another 50 years to go to 100!!", by someone I thought loved me ?!?!

Have a good day

BMG

Edited by BMG

happy birthday Cait hope tomorrow is a lovely day for you.I had my 50th last year and was a bit touchy about it but it turned out a very nice day and I dont feel any different from when I was 40!!!! Enjoy!!!!!!! unsworth

Happy Birthday, Cait.

Remember - you are as old as you feel

Hey-ho some days I feel 90 - am really 58 (I think!!!)

Core

Know how you feel - and I haven't hit the 50 yet (quite)!!

Happy Birthday for tomorrow Cait.

It cheered me up to know I am not the only one on here nearly in my dotage!! (my lovely children's words!!) :oxD

Edited by Guest

Happy birthday for tomorrow Cait - it really is just a number. And imagine how you'd have felt if they'd forgotten your birthday! :o

Hope the children enjoy the cakes tomorrow!

Maz

I'm not ungrateful for the cards at all - it's just that being confronted with a number is a bit more 'real' than saying you won't be bothered!

My brother's card says "The secret of staying young is the careful use of make up ..........

....... make up an age and stick to it!

Ohh I love that line.

I think I will have a go at "make up" then.

I'll make up my age as, I don't know???...29 sounds good to me; old enough to know better but young enough to say "what the heck"

Age is definately a frame of mind after all we don't work in early years for the intellectual conversations that come with being "grown up" do we, the children keep us forever young!

Enjoy your day Cait. X

BMG

Age is definately a frame of mind after all we don't work in early years for the intellectual conversations that come with being "grown up" do we, the children keep us forever young!

:( When I was 16 ( a little while ago!! :o ) my friend Tom and I decided we'd be "grown up" at 18.

At 18, we decided we'd be "grown up at 21!"

At 21 it bcame 30, at 30 it became 40 and at 40 we moved the "grown up" goalpost again to 50!!

In the meantime I've become Godmother to his 2 daughters aged 18 and 16 and he's Godfather to my 15 year old daughter.... and they're wondering when they'll be grown up if we're still thinking about it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! xD

Have a fabulous "nifty fifty" day tomorrow, Cait!

Nona

It just a number thats starting to worry me, so I have decided to be 46, 47, 48, 49, 49, 49,....

It comes to us all if we're lucky enough. Enjoy it Cait

This is taken from a tea towel I saw in a gift shop, no idea who wrote it but happy birthday anyway...

The Ten ages of a woman

Age 3: She looks at herself and sees a Princess

Age 8: She looks at her self and sees Cinderella

Age 15: She looks at herself and sees an Ugly sister!

“Mom, I cant got ot school looking like this!”

Age 20: She looks at herself and sees too fat./thin, too tall/short,

too straight/curly, - fixes herself the best she can but decides

shes going out anyway.

Age 30: She looks at herself and sees too fat./thin, too tall/short,

too straight/curly - but decides she doesn’t have time to fix it

so shes going out anyway!

Age 40: She looks at herself and sees too fat./thin, too tall/short,

too straight/curly - but says ‘at least I’m clean’ and goes out anyway!

Age 50: She looks at herself and sees ‘I am’

and goes wherever she wants to go!

Age 60: She looks at herself and reminds herself of all

The people who cant even see themselves in the mirror

Anymore, and goes out and conquers the world!

Age 70: She looks at herself and sees wisdom, laughter and ability

and goes out and enjoys herself!

Age 80: Doesn’t bother to look, just puts on a terrific hat and goes

Out to have fun with the world!

Guest MaryEMac

happy birthday Cait. Hope today has been good. I turned 50 over 4 years ago and have no idea where the years have gone. I have increased my hours of work and taken on other roles in the family. I still feel 18 in my head but my body is now starting to say no way.

Mary