Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Just Wanted To Share...

Hi everyone,

just got the kids to bed after an 'after-hours' event at our Pre-school .... and wanted to share it cos it was absolutely brill!!

For a couple of years now we've done occasional special bedtime story hours where the children return to Pre-school with siblings/parents in their pyjamas with duvets, blankets cuddly toys, etc. and they all snuggle down for some story tellying, a drink and a biscuit. they are just lovely evening and the children are brill!

This time we decided that the children might enjoy it more without their parents so the chidlren were asked to crawl through the magical story tunnel (table covered with blankets) into the story room and the parents were asked to retreat to the hall where I showed a slideshow and photographs and videos while they reviewed their child's profiles/development files and had a chat.

I got to offer a few words about how all children learn in different ways and by watching all the things they get up to on the photographs, how much fun they are having, and what they are 'doing' the parents can see why they don't always DO something to bring home!! xD:o

It was so brilliant - I can't wait for the next one! We have 30 children attend pre-school and tonight 14 came - 11 were accomanied by both their mum and dad! which as these things go is a really good turn out! :(

It was so fantastic I could burst....

Reason 22 why I love this job.

Sounds like a fabulous idea - might have to borrow that one!

I'm sure these memories will be with the children for a long long time.

Maz

Ooh that's sounds fantastic!! So pleased you shared, you must be thrilled at the success. a double whammy tonight because the children got the story and you shared the photos.

Do you mind me asking what the parents responses were when you first raised this idea? Did they need any persusasion, has it taken a while to build the sessions up?

Don't mind you asking at all! :(

We first did in in the winter when it was dark and we ran it from 5.30 to 6.30. Had a really good response and it was such a novelty because the children don't normally come to pre-school in the dark! We're on in a school site so they NEVER go there in the dark! :(

Have to admit that last time was a little more difficult - there was a massive response and a few restless children (and don't we know how difficult it is to discipline them when parents are there xD ) so we decided to offer the parents something else to do while their children were entertained.

They didn't need any persuasion at all! Forgot to say that last week we made our role-play into a recording studio and filmed the children with web-cam (an idea I stole from my colleague who might well be reading this so thank you! you know who you are :o ) - these were also shown tonight to great amusement - especially the little boy who starting singing then just laughed and kept saying 'that's me, look' pointing to the computer'!

What parent could resist watching their little ones perform...

:(

What a lovely idea! Our local library does bedtime stories on a Wednesday evening and, as you rightly say, the children love going somewhere familiar at an unfamiliar time :o

Nona

well done you it's always so nice to hear that doing something out of the box can be so rewarding for all involved x

• 1 year later...
Hi everyone,

just got the kids to bed after an 'after-hours' event at our Pre-school .... and wanted to share it cos it was absolutely brill!!

For a couple of years now we've done occasional special bedtime story hours where the children return to Pre-school with siblings/parents in their pyjamas with duvets, blankets cuddly toys, etc. and they all snuggle down for some story tellying, a drink and a biscuit. they are just lovely evening and the children are brill!

This time we decided that the children might enjoy it more without their parents so the chidlren were asked to crawl through the magical story tunnel (table covered with blankets) into the story room and the parents were asked to retreat to the hall where I showed a slideshow and photographs and videos while they reviewed their child's profiles/development files and had a chat.

I got to offer a few words about how all children learn in different ways and by watching all the things they get up to on the photographs, how much fun they are having, and what they are 'doing' the parents can see why they don't always DO something to bring home!! xD:o

It was so brilliant - I can't wait for the next one! We have 30 children attend pre-school and tonight 14 came - 11 were accomanied by both their mum and dad! which as these things go is a really good turn out! :(

It was so fantastic I could burst....

Reason 22 why I love this job.

Wanted to share again!!! :( sorry folks but I just love these 'successes'!!

Been writing about this event in our latest newsletter (just done this again a couple of weeks ago), this time we had 22 out of 32 families attend bringing 35 children with them - older siblings, and 14 dads!

Most definitely our best 'engagement', and I reflected on my own personal development (very useful for my Foundation Degree!) as I found it so much easier talking to the parents this time compared to a year ago.

Will definitely do more often!

Give it a try - it is brill! And because one of the children was so upset to have missed it - we have a 'pyjama day' later in the week, when everyone can in their pyjamas and we had games and stories under some blankets! That went down very well too!

Happy EAster everyone!

Sounds like it's going from strength to strength! It's something we're looking at when my staff's children are a bit older so they don't need to come - at the moment at least one would insist on coming and being a bulldozer! How do your staff react to being asked to come back?

Sounds like it's going from strength to strength! It's something we're looking at when my staff's children are a bit older so they don't need to come - at the moment at least one would insist on coming and being a bulldozer! How do your staff react to being asked to come back?

all the staff were absolutely fine about it! very litle preparation and we all live close to the pre-school so I leave home at 5.20 and I get back about 6.45 so doesn't 'eat' into much home time.

I guess it does help when you have some enthusiasm from everyone!

Give it a go!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)