Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Squash At Drink Time

I offer milk or water but do give juice when i know the child will definately not drink either milk or water. I myself don't like either milk and rarely drink them cold. I was told I needed to purchase the hi-juice which was 50% pure fruit juice which i do. I would much rather a child drink than be dehydrated.

we offer water, milk and squash at snack time and water is available at all times

in my experience children are like us on some days they choose milk on other days water or squash. we just offer a choice the same as we do for snack like another post we offer hot chocolate and milk shake from time to time and frozen ice lollies water with fruit ice cubes just different tastes and choices

our children are individuals we wouldn't tell them how to paint would we?

sue

Interesting!!

At home with me all my childminded children drink water quite happily. They have water or squash at home with their parents.

At the CC Stay & Play and the Childminder drop-in they drink squash. But now the CC manager has decreed that when the squash runs out NO MORE and the parents/other childminders are really cross, saying it's not for th emanager to be the "squash police"

Thank heavens my little ones are used to water and won't notice the new initiative!

Nona

milk or water with snack, children bring bottles with water for access at all times and they can have squash or juice with lunch. this is a compromise to encourage healthy eating, good dental hygiene and so children remain hydrated. in 3.5 years once they have settled I have never had a child refuse to drink milk or water. we have juice for a treat like at the christmas party etc just like we do very occasional cooking with chocolate for a treat - normally chocolate isn't allowed in lunches etc. many of our children (it's a very deprived area) come to us with rotten teeth which need major dental work so I feel it is particularly important to promote healthy eating and drinking. I don't view it as propoganda or anything being shoved down our throats.

we don't have a TV at the setting either, or an Xbox or internet access or much software and the computer time is limited because we only have one laptop and I need it lots for admin.

well, this is a contentious one, isn't it?

We offer only water or milk.................................my personal feeling is that many squashes are full of rubbish and are too sweet, even when they profess to be 'no added sugar'............ and, interestingly, Ribena is NOT suitable for under threes ( it says so on the packaging), I understand it's because it's a diuretic (makes the children pee more, so counter-productive), so it might be worth considering wether blackcurrant is a good idea in general anyway?. In hot weather, we offer iced water, and honestly with my hand on my heart, I have never known a child to refuse drinks because they're only given two choices. I also don't regard it as 'propaganda' to encourage healthy habits, and we often talk about why our bodies need water: hydration, good for our blood, good for helping us to go to the loo; good for our skin etc and sometimes the children will actually tell US why it's good for them! Again, my own feeling, but I reckon that if parents want to fill their children with rubbish, that's fine and up to them, but while they are in my care and I am responsible for their health, even in a minor way, they will have sensible options. Sorry if that sounds snotty,just my humble opinion!

Edited by narnia

We gave up squash about 2 years ago, and at the time my son was a playgrouper. At first he wouldn't have a drink this lasted about 2 weeks, once he realised we weren't going to change our minds then he did quite happily drink water.

However at home he won't touch just water and still has squash, but there again he knows it's in the cupboard. :o

Quote:

"You'd have to go a long way to find a more vocal advocate of parents and our need to treat them with dignity and respect than me. My decision to only offer milk or water is not about my shoving my ideas down their throats or about slavishly following every Government whim, but is based on my analysis of the information I have at hand from the various organisations offering advice and guidance.

Ultimately unless your Local Authority has a very draconian view, there is very little they can do to make you change your minds about offering squash at snacktime. What's the worst that can happen?

Maz"

Of course Maz, and I didn't meant to suggest it was you shoving it down people's throats, I do hope I haven't offended you because it wasn't aimed at you. Of course everyone on here makes sensible decisions based on their own reading of the situation. It's the nanny state I'm cross about. I just feel that dictates from government about whether or not I can put a small bar of chocolate or some crisps in my child's lunch box are totally wrong and counter productive. At home and when on holiday my kids eat really widely: squid, prawns, olives, apples, blackberries etc. etc. are amongst their favourites, as well as the more unhealthy stuff which they also like. Personally I think saying that nothing is 'banned' encourages a sensible and balanced approach to eating.

There was a fascinating study done a while back, where a school made raisins a forbidden snack, and offered sweets for a week. By the end of the week the children were desperate to get at the raisins because of their 'forbidden' status and were not interested in the sweets.

We will go for a poll and see what parents think. As another poster commented, they do often feel under attack (the squash police!!). That is not a healthy situation for encouraging better habits imho.

I didn't quite realise what a hot topic this was when I first posted! :o

Hi i work in a children's Day Nursery Full time. We offer milk, water or diluted fruit juice which then gives everyone a choice!

Yes it's really interesting to hear all the different views. Well done for starting us off xD

:( I've lost count of the times I've changed my viewpoint after following threads on here!! That's a bonus though as it's VERY easy when working alone to think "my way is the right way"!!!!

Must make a note to put that in my SEF :o

Nona

Guest MaryEMac

We offer milk, water, and weakish apple squash at snacktimes. A lot of the children are choosing water these days but e few still prefer squash. Water is available throughout the day and at lunchtime most of the children bring their own drinks. This thread has made me wonder whether to forget the squash and see what happens.

Thanks for raising the subject Suzie.

Mary

I do hope I haven't offended you

Nah! xD

I'll be interested to see what you eventually decide to do, in the light of the feedback you get from parents - and the reaction of your EYA when s/he next visits! :o

Maz

Hi

Why don't you offer the flavoured water for a while, that way it's the same to look at which won't upset the other children then dilute it as time goes on

As my school is a healthy school we can only offer milk or water. We have never had any problem with children being dehydrated as water is the best thing if you are thirsty and all our children will drink it.

we stopped squash when we had training from the school dental service, so we offer water or milk. But If parents choose to bring the childs own drink in they can.

I have one of these children that won't drink water, Tesco lemon squash only, but as he has additional needs. He would de-hydate rather than drink water which he calls poison.

My DD only drinks water and my eldest will drinks anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to post a quick update on this.

I did the survey as mentioned, it came back with an overwhelming majority wanting us to offer squash. Most ticks in the 'prefer you to offer squash', a few ticks in the 'don't mind either way' box and only one tick in the 'prefer you not to' box. (The child of this parent chooses water anyway.)

We will keep the piece of paper to proffer at inspection. There is lots in the EYFS about taking parents views into consideration isn't there? :o

I am however planning to ban staff from drinking coffee or tea, because the caffeine is harmful to them. I will also be inspecting their sandwich fillings at lunch times in case they set a bad example. And I will insist that they take 30 mins of exercise 3 times a week so that they are 'fit for preschool'.

:o

We will keep the piece of paper to proffer at inspection. There is lots in the EYFS about taking parents views into consideration isn't there? :o

There is a lot about working with parents but that's what the nursery who were slated by Ofsted for waking a child up were doing.

I suppose a lot can depend on your inspector but could they say it's not in the best interests of the children? I'm not sure about that one.

In our children's centre we don't offer milk to the children during our stay and play sessions as it is considered a food and not a drink to quench thirst. Children have an option of choosing water aor squash ibut we have had issues about which kind of squash we should source- the sugar free ones mean- articficial sweeteners; regular one has natual sugar added in the drink and plain juice is high in acidity.

We have had the same issues around refreshments for parents ! to serve or not to serve? that is the question.

Yours confused!!

We serve milk, water and fruit and have had very few problems since it became free. It was different when we asked parents to contribute.

We did once have a child whose mother said her daughter would have to bring her own snack because she was "allergic" to water, milk and all fruit. The girl brought in squash and crisps, which amazingly the head said was OK! I could not understand this and I am afraid to say, did not notice when she helped herself to fruit or water. She never had any problems at school and stopped having problems about the time snack became free?????

We are having a big push on healthy eating at the moment and have considered becoming 'food police' because we had lunch boxes that contained only - a selection of chocolate bars: two packets of crisps: one slice of bread with jam: whilst these were the three worst there were very few balanced boxes and surveys from the children's talk diaries showed home meals and drinks were similarly unbalanced. a large number children have dental problems including a couple who have insufficient front teeth to eat whole fruit and one child with no teeth.

I know questions of free choice are always difficult and so we are trying information for parents and a little gentle indoctrination for children. Our 'special recipes' this term have been a great success - soup, onion and cheese scones, no sugar banana and raisin muffins, bread, rice salad, fruit yoghurts.

Hi,

This is my first post so hope it's ok!!!

I work in a pack away pre-school, open all day in term time.

I completed my BA in June 09 and qualified as an EYP in Sept 09.

We mainly offer just milk and water and occassionally 'no added sugar squash'. We started to offer squash as we have a large number of special needs children who will only drink squash and the other children were noticing and asking for it! We dilute it well and do not offer it all the time. There is always water available both inside and in the outdoor area.

I like the idea of diluted fruit juice though and will talk to my Manager and staff and let you know how it goes down!

RuthS :o

Sorry to disagree Suzie..

while caffeine in Tea may be not good for the staff it does contain very high level of unique natural antioxidants, which is beneficial to health.. only need 3 to 5 cups a day... we managed that in a session.... Tea benefits..

and moving all that stuff everyday is as good as a workout.

Inge

We offer milk or water for snack time and water is on offer throughout the session, it's amazing how many children will drink them when they get to pour their own drinks.

We allow fruit juice in lunch boxes but nothing else, we are also quite strict concerning sweet type treats in lunch boxes.

As for squash NO WAY, 5 teaspoons of sugar in a glass of ribena, sweetners etc etc and then there is the 'aspartame' debate......

We are promoting a healthy eating lifestyle and with the amount of obese children in this country we will continue to do so.

If that makes us a police type setting so be it - we must be doing something right as we are full with a large waiting list! :o

I am however planning to ban staff from drinking coffee or tea, because the caffeine is harmful to them. I will also be inspecting their sandwich fillings at lunch times in case they set a bad example. And I will insist that they take 30 mins of exercise 3 times a week so that they are 'fit for preschool'.

:o

...blimey Suzie - be careful you may have a lot of unhappy staff xD

...blimey Suzie - be careful you may have a lot of unhappy staff :o

Guys, guys, I was joking.

But ... having said that, you want to watch as this is a slippery slope, which is kind of the point I've been making throughout.

The question I have going round in my head is: 'whose child is it anyway?'

How far does the state have a right to interfere in the way we parent our children? (Which is what is happening essentially, given that we are funded by government and subject to their inspection). Some instances are clear cut, e.g. child protection issues, but what about the parent who doesn't get their child to exercise, or who takes them for the occasional trip to macdonalds, or the parent who swears in the home, or the parent who smokes in the car when their child is there? At what point do we have a right to 'intervene'? Who are we to say that parents can't put a sweet snack in their child's lunchbox? Again, it's a slippery slope once you start making judgements. Okay speak individually to the parents who only put rubbish in, but don't include me when you do that just because my child has a bag of crisps.

It's the same debate about the NHS treating those whose unhealthy lifestyles mean they get ill - if they refuse to 'obey' the state, what happens?

I am not a saint, but I bet none of you are either. What right do we have to impose our values on the parents who use our service?

Gosh didn't realise I felt quite so heated about this.

Suzie, I could have written that.

I've always felt uneasy about crossing the line between offering advice and imposing someone elses rules.

I think about how I'd feel if I was told what my children could or couldnt do. I know some parents say 'he wont eat/do...etc' and I have every sympathy in most cases. My youngest wouldnt eat a vegetable or piece of fruit, his school lunch box had a sandwhich and a chocolate biscuit or crisps because then I knew he would eat everything, no point putting stuff in he wont touch and then being hungry. He's 17 now and has kind of sorted out his own diet, after I decided to leave him with the facts about healthy eating.

I prefer to think of it as a 'healthy option' rather than a rule you will stick to, if we provide the option then we have to leave the decision to the parents.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)