Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Informing Parents Of Notifiable Disease

vickymck

My gorgeous little niece has contracted a pneumococcal meningitis and is very poorly in hospital. As you can guess we are all pretty upset and very busy back & forward to the hospital, but I was very keen that as soon as we had a diagnosis that I would contact her nursery, so they could inform and reassure the parents. I told them on Monday that she had been in hospital since Saturday and rang them on Wednesday morning as soon as they opened to inform them of the diagnosis.

My concern is that they haven't informed the other parents. I have a friend who's son attends and they have said nothing. I know they have followed some proper procedure as the health protection agency has been in contact with the hospital.

The setting where I work has never had to deal with this but as soon as a child gets headlice or chickenpox we inform all the parents and I just think if I where a parent at the nursery I would want to know.

When we had a notifiable disease we were told we had to inform every parent 'personally' ASAP- not just a general notice. We had to ensure every parent had a letter directing them to where they could could find advice etc. We were told to be very careful what information we gave parents about the illness- so just directed them to NHS Direct, or to contact their own Drs with queries.

Ours was scarlette fever, which although I could be very wrong(and I would not be offended to be told otherwise), I couldn't really find any major complications etc.

Hope your niece makes a speedy recovery.

One of the children had measles in our setting year before last, we had to inform Ofsted, her GP informed the Health Protection Agency, i checked all the children's records again and thankgoodness they had all had their MMRs, but one child who was close to having her pre-school booster and therefore her baby vacinations were becoming less effective, also caught it.

I agree I would want to know if there was such a serious illness in the nursery may be they were advised not to mention it to other parents - not sure how many have to have something like meningitis before everyone is put on a course of antibiotics, just in case.

Hope your neice is responding to treatment.

We had a child with meningitis. The lady rang to say don't tell anyone just as the parents were collecting and there was a big note on the door!

Ours was a little different though as the child had not actually been in for a couple of weeks as they had been on holiday. So there was no danger to others. Which the note explained.

I think they like to keep it quiet to stop panic and the media hearing.

sppedy recovery to your niece. Our little boy was poorly for a while but fine now.

Edited by diesel10

Guest jenpercy

Children used to die from scarlet fever and out of town isolation hospitals were built to care for the nimerous cases. These days it isn't very serious and often comes in the form of Scarletina which is very mild

My daughter had scarletina and it she was very ill (although not as ill as they were in the old days). It is classed as a notifiable disease and as she was at the nursery that I work in we had to inform all the parents at the nursery ... and again three weeks later when she got it again. It was a lovely time for us all ... not!

Not that good, still on intensive care, she has sustained some brain damage but not as bad as first thought, still on a ventilator and having regular fits. Today they have found some fluid on her brain as well. we are staying positive but it is realy difficult.

Thanks for asking x

I'm not sure how I missed this Vicky - just wanted to say that I'm thinking of you and your family, and hope your niece makes a good recovery. What a worrying time for you all.

Maz

Thanks guys - she is out of ICU and off her ventilator (yipee) and i can go and see her tomorow. Only her parents have been allowed in so far. I am realy looking forward to seeing her but nervous as well. The doctors have said the brain damage isn't as bad as they first thought, and they are pleased with her progress.

That is good news Vicky. We have a little girl at preschool who contracted it too when she was younger. She has had problems and will need to have an operation soon but she is a bright girl, full of life. Hopefully you will find that your neice is still able to lead a full and active life as well. xx

So glad to hear that your niece is making good progress and that her doctors are pleased.

I hope when you see your niece you'll be a bit more reassured about how she's doing - there's nothing like seeing with your own eyes is there?

You must all be so relieved.

Maz

Vicky, that's great news!

Hopefully your niece will continue to improve day by day and, as Maz says, you'll feel so much better when you've seen her yourself.

Nona

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)