Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outside Today?

Very, very cold today, first day back after hols.

I got everyone tidied up ready to go out as usual and the other staff looked at me horrified!

They are usually brilliant but my one of them dragged her heels and tried to suggest helpful things that she could stay in and do whilst we were out.

We got everyone wrapped up in all their outdoor gear.The 2 staff merely 'endured' outdoor play saying things like 'I know it's cold darling, we'll be going in soon' to the children. Two children were crying because they were so cold and she used that as an excuse to take them in.

Me and a parent helper were having a great time stamping on ice, looking at frozen things and running about. We only stayed out for 15 minutes.

Was I wrong to take the children out on such a cold day? Starting to doubt my judgement as my two staff aren't normally slackers?

Did everyone else go outside today? (We aren't free flow BTW so have to go out en masse for a discreet session)

Was I wrong to take the children out on such a cold day? Starting to doubt my judgement as my two staff aren't normally slackers?

Did everyone else go outside today? (We aren't free flow BTW so have to go out en masse for a discreet session)

We'd have been outside, but for the fact that we had an inset day!

We go outside every day, but we were just saying today that with the very cold weather we don't expect all our children to stay outside for long. We plan to enable children to stay out for as long as they want to, with floor play or table top activities inside for those who want to come in early. However it is likely that everyone will begin the session outside, so that everyone will get the opportunity, especially if we plan some good activities/experiences to take advantage of this cold weather.

It sounds to me as if there's a bit of a mismatch of expectations here - not uncommon amongst staff who see the value of outdoor play during fine weather but think that it should all stop when it is wet/cold/windy or whatever. You'll know that the EYFS says that children should go out only when it is unsafe to do so - so provided you think it is safe to play outside, there's no reason why children shouldn't be offered the opportunity.

It is tricky though - if the staff have a downbeat attitude to the cold weather it will be passed on to the children. I'd have a chat with them about the value of outdoor play (again) and see what their feelings are. Perhaps you could challenge the staff to come up with some good things to do outside that the children and staff can engage with. Standing about in the cold complaining about how cold it is does tend to make you feel colder. :o

Good luck!

Maz

We went out but after 20 mins most had gone back in leaving 3-4 snow pie making with me. It was -4 (but better than the -12 it was at 6am :o ) after 40 mins everyone was back in so we closed the door. I have to say I didn't put water out as ours are terrible at getting wet through then going out and didn't want any frost bite injuries!I filled the water tray with feathers to build nests for the ducks to keep warm. Now I know they will police themselves so well I will get it out tomorrow. Our playground has repeated layers of snow which have then frozen. The top layer was fluffy but if the temperature falls too far tonight there is a good chance our playgound will be just to dangerous to venture out anyway.We did find the water in the bird bath frozen solid (a good disc of ice 8in deep in the middle) so carried it in and did the food colouring bit inside.

Outside is cold but if we all stop going out because of the cold we will go back to old ways and the children won't go out enough. Children have the choice at our group and staff are on rota for fairness. Let the staff have a little moan and if you feel its safe go ahead and get out there, they will still moan when its TOO HOT! there no pleasing some people but the children need the opportunity to explore all seasons, they will soon know if its cold they need more clothes or gloves etc what better learning.

Staff and children who are appropriately dressed will not be that cold after 20minutes.

Sorry if this sounds hard but if it is to believed by the weather people its going to be cold for a while, get all those stuffy germs outside I bet most children in schools and pre-schools have been cooped up by their parents all Christmas!

There is so much to see outside at the moment that I see it as even more reason to go out.

Ice, frost, hard ground, crunchy leaves.

Experiments - if we put some water out will it freeze today? Will it be frozen tomorrow morning? Why is it colder at night? What makes it melt?

I know it's really hard when you're cold and don't want to be out there. Doesn't that mean we are more obliged to be out there because so many parents won't do it?

A hot water bottle or big stone which has been sitting on a radiator all morning can be a good solution to cold hands which promotes a bit of thinking and investigation too.

Stick to your guns. Outside is important all through the year.

There is a great video on teacher's tv about outdoor play in Sweden (I think) where they go out in much colder weather for whole days.

There is a great video on teacher's tv about outdoor play in Sweden (I think) where they go out in much colder weather for whole days.

But they probably have much warmer clothes to enable them to do so.

If children and staff are properly dressed for the weather it shouldnt be a problem but children should have the option.

We were outside with the foundation stage but the rest of the school had to stay in. We have free flow so most children were only out for 10-20 minutes it was just us staff that had to be out for a couple of hours but it was a good excuse to wear my ski clothes!

It is wonderful for children to be able to go out in this weather and everyone should be prepared and dress up warmly and keep moving. It is quite a few years since most of us had weather like this. Just a note of caution, please don't warm up cold hands too quickly as this can make chilblains worse if your children or staff are prone to them.

There is no such thing as bad weather....... just bad clothing!

Good on you!!! It's very easy to say "it's a bit cold lets not have free flow (or go outside)", some of the children love it, some don't that's the way it is :(

We go out everyday, whatever the weather (with the odd exception :o ) and when it is really cold, the children don't want to stay out for long - so we don't - after all we should follow children's interests. xD:(

All our children have the option to go outside whatever the weather and today was no exception! They only stay out for as long as they want and all staff make sure they don't get too cold. Can't see a problem really.

We are not 'back' yet........but if we had been we would certainly have played outside! :o

For the youngest children this snow and ice is a relatively new experience! xD

I don't like being cold....so Imake sure that I have adequate clothing and expect my staff to do the same........I would be less than impressed if any staff member expressed own her dislike of the weather conditions to the children!

Our problem was getting warm inside today. We are in an old pre-fab and couldn't get temperature above 14 c. I've bought some more thermal socks and a new hat for tomorrow.

We did go outside on mass for a while today, children are allowed to come back in if they want, but difficult to leave the door open as temperature would be even lower.

we went out today free flow with door stopper on so heat didn't all excape. All our children went out for varying amounts of time. staff rotated round so nobody frozen. Just seen the weather forecast and more snow to come joy. love the snow but not to getting to work and the worry staff can't get in but children can. Does anybody have a plan if they have to close. :o

I was outside practically all day today, apart from the odd carpet time for phonics, story etc - I had a great time!!

I love being outside at school; I find it calmer and quieter outside than indoors as sound doesn't bounce off the walls and echo. My TA really isn't so happy outside in the cold, so she stayed in and I went out! So we were both happy :o The children had free flow and we had some fantastic learning and awe and wonder with all the frost and ice. One of my children who barely speaks and has very short concentration span spent the whole morning outside with me, taking photos of the ice, breaking frozen ice in buckets, smashing ice into smaller pieces and collecting them in pots and speaking so much more than I've ever heard him speak before - he was so enthused and motivated by the ice - he kept saying, 'icy!' as well as 'crack', 'smash', splash', 'cold', 'listen'... If he'd not had the opportunity to be outside today all of that wouldn't have happened. I was really excited about his morning - and so was he!

This afternoon we filled containers with water and various objects to see if we could make ice outside overnight - the children spent ages doing this and were very concerned that grown ups might knock them over when they came to pick them up, so they decided to write signs saying 'Please watch out', 'please can you not knock over the cups', and 'please be careful' - a group of 5 boys - a real purpose for writing.

All in all a great day back at school!! xD:(

The main problem, I think, is that often children don't realise that they are beginning to get too cold, and we need to keep an eye on this for them. One little boy today really didn't want to go in. He said to me,'My hands are really cold now - that means I'm going to cry in a minute' but it took a lot of convincing to get him back inside! (And he didn't cry! :( )

Maybe we could all upload some photos and comments of what we've all been doing in the freezing weather for us to show more unwilling members of staff some of the benegits of the lovely outdoors? Mine are all at school, but if you'd like to see some, I could put some on tomorrow.

went back to frozen pipes in the loo, so no running water to wash hands or flush loo!! What fun!!!!!!!!!!fortunately, water was available in the kitchen, so we filled a bucket to flush loo ( NO-ONE needed a poo today.....hurrah!!).and we used anti-bac and wet wipes for hands.hope to have better pipes tomorrow. Yes, we did go outside to play...and the child who had been sent in SHORTS.....thin summer ones, we discretely popped into nice warm trousers...................

I love being outdoors in this weather too but it can bring dilemmas. I have a nearly three year old who will not wear coat, jumper or hat (parent sends him in thermal vest and 2 long sleeved tops which are nowhere near warm enough at this time of year). He compliantly puts a coat on for me but insists on pulling his sleeves up, doesn't want to touch anything outside because it's cold/wet so stands there looking rather unhappy and very unengaged. I cant help but think is it really worth it. I've tried engaging him with the all the things he loves but he is miserable. He ends up going in after a very short time and I stay out to supervise the other children but because iit's just me he is then left to play alone and unattended, (i'm in hearing distance and regularly check but I don't feel like I can bring all the children in when the other two are having a lovely time exploring the ice)

Just a thought dcn but have you considered taking a tent outside or making a fairly sustantial den? He might be happier witha bit of inside outside. You could bring out warm drinks and a hot water bottle to help him feel comfortable.

It would be lovley to see some photos emmajess!

Thanks guys.

We too did ice experiments which we have left over night with toys frozen inside the ice and tomorrow I'm hoping that we can bring the ice inside and try and rescue the toys!

We have a spring feeding a stream at the top of the field. There was an amazing 'awe and wonder' moment when we discovered stallagmites (sp?) of ice growing out of the ground where the water had bubbled up and then frozen.

Amazing. I've told the other staff that I'm buying them welly socks next Christmas!!

Thanks guys.

We too did ice experiments which we have left over night with toys frozen inside the ice and tomorrow I'm hoping that we can bring the ice inside and try and rescue the toys!

We have a spring feeding a stream at the top of the field. There was an amazing 'awe and wonder' moment when we discovered stallagmites (sp?) of ice growing out of the ground where the water had bubbled up and then frozen.

Amazing. I've told the other staff that I'm buying them welly socks next Christmas!!

We went out this pm for about 20 mins, had a great time discovering ice and snow. The children were more vocal and could talk for ages about it!!

Great day, will fill containers tomorrow and leave outside.

We went out this pm for about 20 mins, had a great time discovering ice and snow.

Welcome to the forum Menorca! When I saw your username I thought you were going to tell us how warm it was today! :o

Congratulations on making the first of many posts, I hope.

Maz

We were outside en masse today for about 20 minutes, would have been longer but it took us so long to get everyone togged up. Children loved it, happy, interested, no mention of being cold. Could have stayed out longer but the parents had arrived and were waiting for us on our return.

We had frozen pipes too in our loos. Only got running water in the toilet taps this afternoon. Luckily had kitchen taps working.

We are also in a pre-fabricated building.

Buckets of water used to flush loos and bowls of water to wash hands (but don't tell anyone!).

I was outside practically all day today, apart from the odd carpet time for phonics, story etc - I had a great time!!

I love being outside at school; I find it calmer and quieter outside than indoors as sound doesn't bounce off the walls and echo. My TA really isn't so happy outside in the cold, so she stayed in and I went out! So we were both happy :o The children had free flow and we had some fantastic learning and awe and wonder with all the frost and ice. One of my children who barely speaks and has very short concentration span spent the whole morning outside with me, taking photos of the ice, breaking frozen ice in buckets, smashing ice into smaller pieces and collecting them in pots and speaking so much more than I've ever heard him speak before - he was so enthused and motivated by the ice - he kept saying, 'icy!' as well as 'crack', 'smash', splash', 'cold', 'listen'... If he'd not had the opportunity to be outside today all of that wouldn't have happened. I was really excited about his morning - and so was he!

This afternoon we filled containers with water and various objects to see if we could make ice outside overnight - the children spent ages doing this and were very concerned that grown ups might knock them over when they came to pick them up, so they decided to write signs saying 'Please watch out', 'please can you not knock over the cups', and 'please be careful' - a group of 5 boys - a real purpose for writing.

All in all a great day back at school!! :(:(

The main problem, I think, is that often children don't realise that they are beginning to get too cold, and we need to keep an eye on this for them. One little boy today really didn't want to go in. He said to me,'My hands are really cold now - that means I'm going to cry in a minute' but it took a lot of convincing to get him back inside! (And he didn't cry! :( )

Maybe we could all upload some photos and comments of what we've all been doing in the freezing weather for us to show more unwilling members of staff some of the benegits of the lovely outdoors? Mine are all at school, but if you'd like to see some, I could put some on tomorrow.

That sounds like such fun..I love going outside too!

Redbase xD

We've had another covering and 3 hours of heavy snow forcast for this morning so there should be more soft stuff to carry on with our snow pies. We managed 11 in a row using a black bucket (not small plastic buckets for us! :o ) The journey to work may be a did tricky though xD

lots o snow arriving here as well. Perfect stuff for making snowmen and it is dry snow.

All our schools are closed in Cornwall. Wish I could be at school with the children. It would be great outdoor learning today!!!!!!!

Have fun.

Brownie xx

We've got snow forecast at last. Yippee!

I keep checking the BBC website just to check they haven't changed their minds :o

No childminded children today which is a shame but hopefully my own will come home early if it really gets going and we'll be off to a friend's farm to sledge. Woohooo!!!!!

it is great to be outside in the snow - more difficult when it's wet and muddy I find. we also have problems mentioned by other people of parents not sending suitable clothing - we have spares but not enough storage space to keep much so we dont always have spare warm layers. how do you persuade your parents to send children appropriately dressed? has anyone asked a parent to take a child home and put more clothes on them? :o