Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What To Put In The Water Tray

Now it's getting chillier, we don't always want to have water, especially in our outdoors, has anyone got a list of interesting alternatives that we could fill the tray with so it's interesting but not cold or damp! Thanks

We were doing "Goldilocks" last week, so put in dry porrridge oats, bowls of 3 different sizes and wooden spoons of 3 different sizes. The story-telling and language was fantastic.

At the end of the week, we replaced the dry porrdige with cooked porridge. "yuch" !!!!

We were doing "Goldilocks" last week, so put in dry porrridge oats, bowls of 3 different sizes and wooden spoons of 3 different sizes. The story-telling and language was fantastic.

At the end of the week, we replaced the dry porrdige with cooked porridge. "yuch" !!!!

Nice - that reminds me - instant mash is good - dry first and then water added - have also done jelly!!! :o

My Ofsted lady wanted water in it all the time! anything else is a substitute for sand apparently!

Of course! Hadn't you noticed the sand has an identical texture, colour, smell, and all other physical properties to every other substance you could allow children to explore! You wouldn't want children to experience sand and gloop in the same session would you? Obviously comparing the two wouldn't be at all useful!

Aaarrgggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO CARES WHERE YOU PUT IT IF IT WORKS FOR THE CHILDREN?

(I feel better now :o )

Are you doing any pumpkin activities....if so the 'innards' are great in a water tray! :o

Ooh yes thanks for that tip sunnyday - I've just bought some pumpkins for the annual golf tea bashing and always wonder what to do with the pulp. Now I know!

Maz

whats wrong with sawdust ? we use it all the time as long as it is damp so the children cant inhale it.

have you tried gellibaff think that's how you spell it our kids really enjoy it I think it feels disgusting and the other staff have to deal with it it makes me turn queasy.

sue

mind you - we were told by our development worker we should always have water available (indoors and outdoors )- even when weather is colder - said children will always use it - they probably will but its the trying to find something dry for them to wear when they get wet - because no matter how we try the children always end up wet.

unless of course someone on here has a solution to this?

Ooh yes thanks for that tip sunnyday - I've just bought some pumpkins for the annual golf tea bashing and always wonder what to do with the pulp. Now I know!

Maz

after the golf tee bashing we used to let the children break it open to explore the innards and count how many golf tees they found inside...

one year we had 15 .. wondered why they kept disappearing :o

and now I will try to find the pumpkin thread to revive it..

Inge

Of course! Hadn't you noticed the sand has an identical texture, colour, smell, and all other physical properties to every other substance you could allow children to explore! You wouldn't want children to experience sand and gloop in the same session would you? Obviously comparing the two wouldn't be at all useful!

Aaarrgggghhhh!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO CARES WHERE YOU PUT IT IF IT WORKS FOR THE CHILDREN?

(I feel better now xD )

Go Upsy Alison daisy!!! I couldn't have put it better myself! :o

I think I shall start a campaign for common sense........and not rigid rule following........hmmm.........

what is gellibuff ,what does it look/feel like and where do you buy it and how much is it?

sorry for all the questions but never heard of it

We have used gellibath a few times. It is a coloured sludge basically, (bit like wallpaper paste) which when you add a sachet mix to it after you have finished the sludginess turns back into water so in theory you can just pour it away.

It comes in 2 or 3 colours some of the colours do stain, even though it says they don't.

Should be able to get it from toy shops or department stores with toy departments in, we got it from Hawkins Bazaar recently, which I think do mail order as well.

I sometimes fill my water tray with a full box of Lux snowflakes, fill with very hot water and food colouring, leave overnight and the next day you have a tray full of lovely slime! :o

I think this makes the very best slime, we have some great photos of the children using this. We have to really persuade the parents to try it - How do you dispose of it when you are finished? I have always thought it shouldn't go down the sink plug hole - I'm paranoid about blocking the drains with it. I take it home and put it down our drains.

Last time I took it home it "flooped" over the top of the bucket and onto the car seat, then the floor - what a mess!

I sometimes fill my water tray with a full box of Lux snowflakes, fill with very hot water and food colouring, leave overnight and the next day you have a tray full of lovely slime! :o

Oh sounds wonderful - thanks - will definitely try that! xD

Errr.......how much water?

Edited by sunnyday

thanks everyone- I knew I could rely on you all, some great ideas! Don't know how they'll go down with the staff in the outdoor area, but I will find out soon!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)