Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Summer Reading - Not Work Connected!

Sainsbury's Victoria Hislops' 'The Return' in the 2 paperbooks for £7 offer at the moment as well as the Life of Pi and a few Jodi Picolut books too.

Hope that's of help - have duly stocked up with some historical fiction too!

poldark flambards and forsythe saga it sounds like like 70's TV/radio reunion my poor brother (Jolyon) wishes my mum had never heard of the forsythe saga

my daughter has got 100 classic's on her nintendo DS I was browsing through the tittles and I fancy reading little women or tom sawyer but its not the same reading from the screen as reading from a proper page of a book

Yes, 'The Island' is a very good book.

Excellent!! I have worked and been stressed too hard this year!! I intend to use my two weeks in the sun (well - with our record, RAIN) to relax. Got 'The Island', bought 'Life of Pi' and one that looked interesting 'Outlaw'.

Will report back after the 12th August (when I get back!)

Sue

PS - I WILL NOT TAKE MY LAPTOP!!! (repeat after me....)

I never take my laptop, mind you I don't have a dongle, or whatever it's called.

I think you would like The Pirate's Daughter Sue. It's set in Jamaica and is about a young Jamaican girl growing up, and her relationship with Errol Flynn, fact and fiction mixed up, and it evokes the lovely atmosphere of Jamaica, but also has the history of the beginning of the trouble there, and something of the tension between black and the whites. Well written and satisfying for a holiday read.

City of Thieves - David Benioff - I took it on holiday and couldnt put it down. Brilliant book. Also read Life of Pi - really good once you get get through the first few short chapters!

• 2 weeks later...

Because of the numerous recommendations from others members I went out and bought 'The Book Thief' - have just finished reading it and would like to say thank you to you all - what a fantastic book - a wonderful read. :o

I was at a book stall in town today (or should I say yesterday) and thought "oh bargains!!"

but then realised "I cannt remember any of the books that where recomended!"

Its not so much the titles its the Authors I cannt remember so Im just jotting some down to look out for in the bargains

(i think deep down I am a tight fisted reluctant reader and this is yet another excuse for me not to buy a book!)

Edited by Alison

Well, here's my report - I only got halfway through Life of Pi, which I am enjoying- on account of the unexpectedly good weather!!! :o

We spent our two weeks out and about, catching up with old friends and generally relaxing.....at least I've got a good stock ready for my next spell on crutches in October! xD

Sue

Well I couldnt sleep last night so I searched this topic for the some of the book titles and as I did I cut and paste all the titles into a document so that I could see what had been suggested

I thought I might aswell share it... Very rough as it is, I literally just cut and paste book titles from the posts so there is no logic to the list, no reviews and in some cases no authors name,

some of the books where mentioned lots of times as great reads others where mentioned one or two times with mixed opinions so Ive tried to include EVERY book mentioned regardless because all the books where enjoyed by at least one person, if someone feels the urge to edit the list feel free sometimes its easier to edit something already started than starting from scratch

book list FSFbook_list_liesure.doc

(I was tempted to cut and paste a list of all the authours recomended but I resisted the urge)

Edited by Alison

I finished 'The Time Traveller's Wife' whilst we were away and offered it to my daughter who is very choosy about what she reads - she nearly snapped my hand off! Apparently there's a write up in 'Heat' or somesuch magazine about the film and her interest was piqued! I quite enjoyed the read!

I finished 'The Time Traveller's Wife' whilst we were away and offered it to my daughter who is very choosy about what she reads - she nearly snapped my hand off! Apparently there's a write up in 'Heat' or somesuch magazine about the film and her interest was piqued! I quite enjoyed the read!

Glad you enjoyed it! I, too am choosy about what I read, and consider 'TTW' (if you'll excuse the abbreviation) quite remarkable. The Mail on Sunday carried a review of the fim yesterday which suggests my reservations about the film may be well-founded. As I haven't seen the film I can make no judgments on the quality of the review; however I was confounded when the reviewer described the original book as a 'lightweight tale'!!

Hi,

Torey Hayden writes amazing books although I often then find myself relating things she has written to school or children I have known. I have read quite a few of her books and found them all fascinating.

Just finished reading a chick lit book called I (heart) New York which was a change from books I usually read.

Nicky Sussex

If you like your criminal psychology the Jigsaw Man by Paul Britton is a fantastic read but quite heavy!

Isn't Paul Britton a criminal psychologist - someone who creates psychological profiles of offenders? Or am I confusing him with someone else? If he's the one I'm thinking of his work on a high profile case was later discredited. Anyone got any idea of what I'm on about?

Maz

Hi all, interesting reading xD im not know for being a good reader, no matter how good the book is it takes me ages because I always end up falling asleep :o

Ive just brought 'Dear Fatty' by Dawn French.

just finished reading 'A Child Called It' and 'The Lost Boy'. Just started reading the third and last book which is called 'A Man Named Dave'. The books have been written by a man called David Pelzer who suffered years of child abuse when small and eventually was placed in the care of social services. A brilliant and thought provoking read which I would recommend. mrsW.x

I've read 3 Karin Slaughter books (after picking up one in the supermarket)

a couple of Carol O'Connell a Patricia Cornwell and I've just bought a Kathy Reichs (again at the supermarket ...it's been really nice to read without having to "think" too much if you know what I mean

just finished reading 'A Child Called It' and 'The Lost Boy'. Just started reading the third and last book which is called 'A Man Named Dave'. The books have been written by a man called David Pelzer who suffered years of child abuse when small and eventually was placed in the care of social services. A brilliant and thought provoking read which I would recommend. mrsW.x

Oh I read those a few years ago - that poor child, how awful! Why wasn't he blind after all that ammonia and stuff. Such an overpoweringly sad story of the pain we humans can inflict on each other.

The Time Travellers Wife film is good Sue, dont let a review put you off. But dont forget to take your tissues, I did!!!

Have you read the book Susan? One of my absolute faves! Good to hear the film is good too - should I drag Mr Sunnyday along or is it a 'chickflick'?!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)