Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Summer Reading - Not Work Connected!

Hi what is everybody reading this summer if you are able to have some time off. A friend has recommended After River - anybody read it?

Hoglet - that's spooky......I was going to start the same thread!!!

Haven't read 'After River' so can't help you there.

I loved 'The Time-Travellers Wife' lots of 'twists and turns'....not everyones 'cup of tea' but a real fave of mine.

Have just finished 'The Lost Daughter' - really enjoyed that.

If you enjoy thrillers any 'Tess Gerritsen' books are great.

Will be watching this thread with interest - intend to spend a good part of the holiday laying on a sun lounger with a good book!

Sunnyday

I enjoyed the Time Travellers Wife which I read a few years ago. I also love Alexander McCall Smith's Number One Ladies Detective Agency series.

I've just read 'The Pirate's Daughter' which was a really good holiday read. I also read Dan Brown's 'Deception Point', and that was un-put-downable. I've just begun 'Digital Fortress'. I too will watch this thread with interest because I'm not sure what to read next, so need some recommendations. :o

I've enjoyed the Dan Browne, but found them better to read in one go - or as short a 'go' as I could manage. They are so intense that you lose some momentum if you leave them for a day or so.

Zebedee hates them!

Edited by Cait

One of my VERY favourite books is "The Time Travellers Wife"

I love the unusualness of it!!

I have a big pile of books ready to read over the break:

Tess Gerritsen

Alex Patterson

Karin Slaughter

Karen Rose

Lee Child

Jodi Piccoult

.... to name but a few!!!

Have enjoyed Kate Atkinson lately too

Was going to suggest that we ask Steve to start a forum 'book club' but apart from the holidays it takes me ages to read a book!!! xD

Glad the are some other 'Time Travellers Wife' fans out there.......I loved it ....... lent it to my sister who hated it!!! :o

Kate Long's 'The Bad Mother's Handbook' is a good 'light' read.........also loved 'The Five people you meet in Heaven' - Mitch Albom....

Sunnyday

I enjoyed it too! Has anyone read 'the book thief' set in nazi germany during the war - I'm still looking at it and keep moving it down my book pile!

Was going to suggest that we ask Steve to start a forum 'book club' but apart from the holidays it takes me ages to read a book!!! :o

Would be good - but I can't read.

Maz

well I admire you all for reading "proper books"

im not a reader the last book I picked up to read was 2 years ago and I still haven finished it! and Im sad to admit it was a childrens book..... Lemony snicket... I had a week off with no children no work it was luxury so I read none stop all 13 of the unfortunate tales except I stopped half way through number 13 (the children came home) Ill finish it off one day its not the first time Ive put a book down and then finished it off a few years later

I would agree |The Book Thief is absolutely amazing! (Made me cry too)

I am Reading The Angels Game by Carlos Zafon he also wrote Shadow in the Wind he is an amazing author, Chill I think you would like this author too, if you liked The Book Thief, it is beautifully written.

It is so lovely to be reading novels again! Sorry about punctuality on my husbands iPhone and not sure how it works. Everyone is on the computers at home and I needed a forum fix!

Edited by Guest

I would agree the book thief is absolutely amazing! I am Reading The Angels Game by Carlos Zafon he also wrote Shadow in the Wind he is an amazing author. It is so lovely to be reading novels again! Sorry about punctuality on my husbands iPhone and not sure how it works. Everyone is on the computers and I needed a forum fix!

Er.......were you late then! xD:o

:(:(:( :wacko:

Well I may have a BA(hons) but...................... xDxD :rolleyes: :unsure: :o

I was going to edit it to make it right but hey it may bring a smile to others! In my defence I think it does a predictive text thing!

Edited by Guest

Alison i freely admit that i have read about 6 of the lemony snicket books they are brilliant, I've since watched the film and now want to finish off reading the set :o

oh and has anybody read The Memory Keeper's Daughter? As it's the holidays I have just started reading it and I can see its going to be one of those books that I won't be able to put down.

samfrostie :o

Great idea - im looking for a holiday read. Just bought Life of Pi but not sure whether to buy something else too in case I can't get into it. Will let you know after Ive read the first chapter tonight.

oh and has anybody read The Memory Keeper's Daughter? As it's the holidays I have just started reading it and I can see its going to be one of those books that I won't be able to put down.

samfrostie :o

Oh yes - I have - loved it!

Enjoy

Sunnyday

I'm just back from holiday (work in day care open all year round) and for the first time in, I cant even remember, I read a book cover to cover whilst there, I actually read 2 but can only remember the title of one!! For a light read and a chuckle, I laughed out loud on several occassions, I recommened Marian Keyes' The Other Side of the Story. Brilliant read and one I could empathise with, very very funny; enjoy!!

If we are talking about children's stories I love and have read loads 'The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tiler' by Gene Kemp. :o

As for adult reads I love the trash of Jackie Collins and the violence of Martina Cole.

Guest Mrs Tiggy Winkle
I loved 'The Time-Travellers Wife' lots of 'twists and turns'....not everyones 'cup of tea' but a real fave of mine.

Sunnyday

I 'read' this a while back as an audio book - was very tricky to find my way back to the bit where I fell asleep each time, but definitely a great book!

Although I haven't had a chance to get into a bookshop, I did pick up The Great Lover about Rupert Brooke (WW1 poet) but it's taken me a little time to get into it.

Books I would recommend are The Pirates Daughter is fabulous and would read again and also the Kate Morton Books - House at Riverton and The Forgotton Garden are brilliant. They are based in the early 20th Century and had me hooked til the end.

I will be re-reading the 5th Harry Potter book before I go to see the film of the 6th and then will be finishing off book 7 as I got bored halfway through and skipped to the end!

Lxx

although im not on holiday this summer, work all year round :o i read books always..... the one i have read most recently was 'my sisters keeper' this was an amazing read, and im hoping to watch the film next week (if its still at the cinema). other brill authors are Torey Haydon, simon kernick (i think is his surname) he writes crime (relentless is a good one of his), and jefferey Deaver, all excellent authors.

have fun reading

Dawn

I'm also a time travellers wife fan - loved it and recommend it to everyone. I've also just finished a book called Beyond Black by Hilary Mantel which is a really funny/sad book about a psychic and the beings on the other side that haunt her.

My recent favourites are Khaled Hosseini's A thousand splendid suns and the kite runner

I'm a 'Time Traveller's Wife' fan, too! Sue recommended it years ago and I thank her heartily! my son and even my husband have read and enjoyed it. My son tells me it's now been made into a film, although I'm not sure about that.

My contributions: 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time' - Mark Haddon; 'The Last Girl' - Stephan Collishaw; 'Labyrinth' and 'Sepulchre', both by Kate Mosse. There are others, but I've got to scoot off right now.

Happy reading!

Sue :o

Ooh, PS - all the Philip Pullman 'His Dark Materials' series and of course Tolkein's amazing 'Lord of the Rings'!!!!!

I opted out of life altogether when I read Tolkiens Lord of the Rings, I bought the trilogy for my daughters the xmas before the films were made so we could read them before the films came out, I was completely hooked

I opted out of life altogether when I read Tolkiens Lord of the Rings, I bought the trilogy for my daughters the xmas before the films were made so we could read them before the films came out, I was completely hooked

Crikey - I have never read them! Hmmm...going on your recommendation - I feel ....a. I must ....b. I don't dare! Really can't 'opt out of life just now'!!! xD (or could I? :o )!

Sunnyday

I was introduced to Tolkein's works when a wonderful teacher read us 'The Hobbit'. I was eleven, about to leave Junior school. We loved it so much he read the first chapter of 'The Fellowship of the Ring'. That summer I cajoled the local library into allowing me to borrow all three books (one at a time, as they were Adult books!) My life was, quite honestly, never the same again. I have re-read them usually once a year, although when the children were small, and now with study there have been years I've missed. Have all his other books, including the ones 'completed' by his family after his death.

That would be my Desert Island book!

Sue (am I sad??)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)