Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

And Finally Some Good News!

As some of you may know, my hubby has been in hospital for over 4 weeks now, very seriously ill.

Well I have some news and I need to shout about it - THEY REMOVED HIS TRACEOCTOMY TUBE TODAY!!!!! :oxD:(

Was I there to see it - No!! Thanks to my son I had caught the dreaded 24 hour V&D yesterday and am not allowed up into ICU until tomorrow at the earliest!

On the plus side, after Martin's sister rang me to say they were taking the tube out, I then rang the unit to see if it was true, the nurse put me on hold and the next voice I heard was Martin's. Well to be honest it didn't sound like him at all, as 4 weeks of not using your vocal chords kinda alters the tone of your voice ever so slightly, but as soon as he coughed his guts up, thankfully I recognised his cough (I know, very strange) and was absolutely delighted. I had completely forgot that when they removed the tube he would be able to talk again.

It didn't actually hit me until I had hung up that I had been talking to him, he sounded more like Freddy Kruger to be honest! :(

So after a few tears and telling my son that his daddy is now 25% better (yesterday we were at 15%) I have rang everyone I know and am now watching the clock until 2.30pm - visiting time!! Obviously planning on getting some sleep between now and then!

He is on oxygen continuously and we still have quite a way to go before we know what damage has been done to his lungs, but its yet another step in the right direction.

Sorry ladies, but I feel the need to shout it from the rooftops!!

Just had a thought, I was the first person to talk to him on the phone!! :(

YAY!!!!!!!! xD

That's great news - now try to remember how pleased you were to hear his voice next time he's moaning! :o

My friend's hubby is recovering from a kidney transplant & starting to be a bored and irritable (she says irritating!) patient.

She's taking deep, calming breaths and reminding herself how poorly he's been!

Nona

Thank you so much everyone. All your kind replies have brought tears to my eyes and I aint the kind to cry easily!!

Can I take the oppportunity to thank everyone now for all the support that I have received through this difficult time, just incase I forget to do it later!!

Well I went up today and there he was, sitting with his order for stuff he wanted from the shop! He is only allowed to drink at the minute, so the order consisted of drinks like finches orange and pure grapefruit juice, that kinda thing. I had to forgive him for the list as long as your arm, when I got there, I got the biggest smile, even the nurses commented on it!! Oh no I'm blubbing again!!

Tissues please!!

They are assessing him eating a breakfast tomorrow morning, so no doubt when I go up tomorrow I will get an order as long as your arm for actual food!! I don't care what he wants, he shall have it. I dread to think how much weight he has lost, as the double chin he always had, and he was never heavy, has gone!!

I was delighted and a tad amused to see him taking so much pleasure in something as simple as a bottle of fizzy pop! :o

He still sounds a bit like Freddy Krugar and it is strange looking at him and hearing a different voice coming out than the one I am used to hearing, but we had a laugh about it today and it was good to see him smile.

They are talking about moving him down to a ward in a couple of days, but have already warned him he will be in hospital for months. He now knows how seriously ill he was and that his life was in danger, although I am not sure he is aware of all the problems he had. He is in a a very serious and thoughtful mood at the moment, which is understandable and I just listen when he decides to talk about how ill he has been.

His sister tried to talk about it today and he waved his hand at her and said that was enough. Have warned the rest of the family, on the advise of his nurse, not to discuss it unless he brings it up and to only answer him with a yes or no, if what he says even requires an answer. She has told us to keep things positive with him and remind him of how far he has come. Right now he needs us to listen, not scare him with our own personal horror stories of the past 4 weeks. She has told me that he will probably open up more when he gets out of Intensive Care.

Anyway enough of the serious stuff!!! If anyone hears me in chat moaning and groaning about how I am fed up being the "Fetch me this" wife, shoot me and remind me of the last 4 weeks!! I have a funny feeling that now he has found his voice, he won't be long in letting me feel the sharp end of his tongue if I forget a particular item of foor or drink!! xD

Once again many thanks to all of you. Was gonna give you all some love, but the nice little huggy warm pink guy has gone from the emoticons!!!

Was gonna give you all some love, but the nice little huggy warm pink guy has gone from the emoticons!!!

:oxD:( :( :( :wacko:

You just need to know where to look!

Edited by HappyMaz

I knew you would him Maz :o

Here's the love I talked about!!

:(:(:( :wacko: xD :rolleyes: :unsure: ;):ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

I don't think the forum or my finger could cope with a bit of love for all 18,000 odd members!!! xD

and the forum wouldn't let me post any more!! I got a message saying I had more emoticons than was allowed!

Edited by Guest

I got a message saying I had more emoticons than was allowed!

That's because hali has probably used them all! Steve put a limit on them - emoticons need to be used sparingly! :o

mummyspud, so sorry to hear that your husband has been so poorly but really glad to hear that he is now starting to get better. Thinking of you, mrsW.x

but not dared toenter chat to catch up -as I'm supposed to be studying.

Me too, louby loo!! between the forum and mousehunt, I am easily distracted!!! :o

Well I caught a birthday mouse!!!

and I have got about 4 kings rewards now, for taking such an active interest in the hunt!!

I aint using my superbrie yet though, am keeping it for when I need to catch the Leprechaun mouse, will arm the trap on St Paddys day!

Oh and I just got another kings reward!!! :o

Edited by Guest